Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I feel like the apple craze is becoming less. Their stock is down 200. Smartphones have become very good.

It's like when computer first came out every new model was all the rage or every new windows edition.

Now nobody cares. It's maxed out.

I feel like it comes to a point, like with cars, where once you have leather, heated seats, wood grain, navi, Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, backup cam, and even air conditioned seats....

You REALLY don't care for night vision in the new model lol

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
To be competitive, Apple seems to haved moved from a 12 month release schedule to more of a 6-8 month schedule. Just because a new iDevice comes out does not make your 5,6,7 or 8 month old device any less useful. I think we need to stop worrying about the latest and greatest and go with what you need. So if the iPhone 6 comes out with a new feature your 5 can't do and you want said feature, then by all means, upgrade. If you don't need that feature, then stay happy with your 5.

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
I feel like the apple craze is becoming less. Their stock is down 200. Smartphones have become very good.

It's like when computer first came out every new model was all the rage or every new windows edition.

Now nobody cares. It's maxed out.

I feel like it comes to a point, like with cars, where once you have leather, heated seats, wood grain, navi, Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, backup cam, and even air conditioned seats....

You REALLY don't care for night vision in the new model lol
Now, remember that what you say might hold water for western countries, the developing countries will still go thru this at some point.

I think Apple's content selling, ecosystem and powerful brand protect it somewhat from commoditization. iPod continued to dominate the MP3 market all tho anyone could have a similar device (less the wheel).

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Stock pricing has nothing to do with Apple Craze.

I can't buy a Wifi iPad mini. They're sold out. That says the craze is still there.

Sure the competition is closer but Apple is really far ahead. As a competitor when you finally catch up they veer off and disrupt another market.

My Apple TV is used every single day yet there's more that can be done (network storage access, more 3rd party resources, better airplay)

Apple now has Bluetooth 4.0 in every Mac computer save for the Mac Pro. We still don't know what type of peripherals and accessories are coming but rest assured there will be product.

If you yourself are unsure about where things can or should head then you need to Geek up a bit more. This landscape is changing fast and you don't have time to sit around.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
It's almost 2013, everyone makes great laptops, smartphones, tablets. Apple isn't even competing in the enterprise space so the screws will continue to tighten.

A gripe I have with my early 2010 iMac is that the built-in speakers have almost no bass.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
It's almost 2013, everyone makes great laptops, smartphones, tablets. Apple isn't even competing in the enterprise space so the screws will continue to tighten.

A gripe I have with my early 2010 iMac is that the built-in speakers have almost no bass.

Apple's penetration into the Enterprise is up in the last few years, driven by iPhone and iPad sakes.

The MacBook Air is turning into one of the most popular laptops for traveling executives on the market according to CEO magazine.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Apple's penetration into the Enterprise is up in the last few years, driven by iPhone and iPad sakes.

The MacBook Air is turning into one of the most popular laptops for traveling executives on the market according to CEO magazine.

By enterprise I mean backoffice software & servers. I mean PAAS, IAAS.

Also traveling executives are hardly representative of the entire market.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
By enterprise I mean backoffice software & servers. I mean PAAS, IAAS.

Also traveling executives are hardly representative of the entire market.

You've said it yourself. Backoffice systems are everywhere, with lots of competition - so margins are low. Apple does not tend to compete in that type of market segment. They do best in the low volume niches with products that work so elegantly that people with money (executives) will pay the healthy margins that Apple charges.

It is not about whether the technology is "state of the art".... it's how Apple packages it into something where the technology stays out of the way while you create your content. It may have limited technologies, but executives are not engineers. They want a product that just works for them.

Apple isn't interested in the "entire market" - they are interested in providing really good solutions to a limited range of people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.