Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:08 AM   #101
Benjamins
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot24 View Post
The hardware isn't the issue here. We all need to stop worrying about that side of it.

Content delivery will be the real story.
exactly. it's the content the matters.
No reason for any fancy TV is there is no content. Apple needs to be able to do better than Netflix, Amazon and Hulu.
Benjamins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:10 AM   #102
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by waloshin View Post
Here is how you all will justify that you "need" a Apple TV.
It likely will be a unibody design machined from aluminium with a apple glowing on the front.
You would use your iPhone , iPod touch or iPad as a remote. And there will be a Apple TV built in.
I have bought 2 TVs in about 12 years.

I will just wait until Apple TV 6 unless my kids break the current one, or the screen goes bezerk...etc.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:11 AM   #103
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Wait, I thought that this wan't supposed to be posted again until after the new year. Isn't that the tradition?
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:20 AM   #104
bbeagle
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan View Post
It all comes down to content. Until Apple TV can provide live sporting events and first run network/cable content, it will NEVER be able to make a dent in the cable/satellite model.
It already does this.

You can view LIVE NBA, MLB and NHL (when they get back to playing).

Apple has also had free live concerts. The entire month of September, you could see 1-3 concerts a day.

Apple TV also provides Hulu Plus, which is first run network/cable content.

Apple is not there yet, but it's getting there quicker than you think. I think that soon, Apple TV will have live streams of TV channels. But the market is going a different direction - where you don't just watch a live channel, you instead watch SHOWS. And these become available at a certain day/time, instead of just watching a stream waiting for the content. You click when the content is available.
bbeagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:21 AM   #105
carlgo
macrumors 68000

Buy or start a satellite company. Everyone has access, real time access without huge download times. Show the content on a super-duper hi-res new technology screen controlled by a sleek box and remote.

Everything else is a hobby.
carlgo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:22 AM   #106
saturn88
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
Panasonic GT & VT series Plasmas for me

No way im giving apple money for a junk Led panel that's probably edge lit anyway
Unless they use Sharp Elite technology
saturn88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:25 AM   #107
KanosWRX
macrumors regular

LCD TV = No Thanks

Plasma's have always been better for watching Movies on, LCD's have not caught up to the black level quality that Plasma's give. But then again the normal consumer and probably normal forum user here doesn't even know or care about this so they will just take whatever Apple gives them and say its better without doing any actual research.
KanosWRX is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:26 AM   #108
NOV
macrumors 6502

I don't think that Cooke (or any other Apple executive) has the charm and vision that Jobs had to get content partners on board, as Jobs managed with iTunes. I'm pretty sure we will be stuck with a Samsung look-a-like although it might offer some more available content. They probably come up with some TV-variation of the magazine they developed for iPad (sorry, forgot what it was called), that will flop within a year.

Apple TV/ iTV has all the potential to become Apple's next big flop and send $AAPL into its 300-400's.

Music website
NOV is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:27 AM   #109
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoyblazed View Post
I'm guessing this well set the benchmark price of $2,000
Ha, probably a lot higher. Bose has a 46" LCD and just because it has Bose's special sound enclosure in it they are asking $5000 for it. Unless a consumer is just a Bose fanatic that's too much money to ask. Apple's TV MAY start at $2000 but I wouldn't count on it being that low.
HenryDJP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:34 AM   #110
alexgowers
macrumors 6502

I'm a bit worried if they are getting into the TV panel market as there is so little money to be made as the panel isn't where the cash comes from, but the broadcasting etc is what i think they'll do and they can continue with an apple TV for that. Putting an Apple TV with a panel just seems like a way to loose money.

I bet apple will go 4k If they do it and maybe even sell it as a panel with a small box. some kind of NFC or wifi to push the picture to it instead of lumping it into one unit. Panels to me seem like a way for apple to loose money to me? anyone else have details about possible profits or lack of on what apple are getting into if this rumour were true?
alexgowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:35 AM   #111
TrentS
macrumors 6502

The Future!!

What if the new Apple TV could be a one 1/4 inch thick see-thru rectangular glass panel that you could mount on your wall ( maybe 60 inch in size ), and when not watching tv, it would act as a digital photo display, but when sent a wi-fi signal from your cable box, or satellite, it would become a beautifully lit TV display? Complete with a see-thru remote control, Siri integrated.

TrentS is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:36 AM   #112
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamins View Post
exactly. it's the content the matters.
No reason for any fancy TV is there is no content. Apple needs to be able to do better than Netflix, Amazon and Hulu.
Where's the money in just being a distributor of content? I can't imagine Apple is making a lot off the $99 ATV as it stands right now. I thought I read somewhere that iTunes is not much more than a break even business. IMO it's the content and user interface that's the hook to get someone to buy a premium TV. And since people don't upgrade TVs that often there would be an ATV type box to supplement or for those who already have TV set and aren't looking to buy new. But I have a hard time believing no one buys TV's anymore so there has to be some market of people interested in a new TV.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:39 AM   #113
Heinsenberg
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
Ha, probably a lot higher. Bose has a 46" LCD and just because it has Bose's special sound enclosure in it they are asking $5000 for it. Unless a consumer is just a Bose fanatic that's too much money to ask. Apple's TV MAY start at $2000 but I wouldn't count on it being that low.

I actually own the Bose TV; VideoWave. 46" LCD sounds amazing and it the user interface is great to say the least. It was $3999. This is in my bedroom and if have never heard what it sounds like, you should give it a listen.
Heinsenberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:42 AM   #114
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkadamsjr View Post
Why would you replace your phone with an iPhone in 2007? If Apple can't make something better, theoretically they wouldn't get involved.
Word

else why should they buy it.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:42 AM   #115
bbeagle
macrumors 65816

I don't get how all the Apple haters think that all Apple will do is make a thin TV set, put an Apple logo on it and sell it for double the price of a competing set.

Apple has NEVER done that with any of it's hardware.

Apple is about the SOFTWARE as well as the hardware. iPads are selling like crazy because of the software's ease of use. Same with iPods, MacBooks and MacBook Airs.

Apple TV will come with a value-add that makes it well worth the price, or it won't sell. Simple as that.

Apple sold 'MP3 players' for twice the price of rivals, and beat them all. Apple sells laptops for twice the price of rivals, and is the leader in laptops. Apple sells tablets for twice the price of rivals, and is the leader in tablets.

It's because of the SOFTWARE, but nay-sayers won't wake up.
bbeagle is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:43 AM   #116
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

I want an 80 inch 4K TV. Make it happen, Apple.
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:46 AM   #117
koban4max
In Time-Out

Apple should go back to the basic and focus more on computers rather than all these gimmicks. As of late, they are good at pissing people off. Fix the internal os before moving to something else. It's like they are selling half ass products and moves on to build another half ass products.
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:47 AM   #118
nt5672
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentS View Post
What if the new Apple TV could be a one 1/4 inch thick see-thru rectangular glass panel that you could mount on your wall ( maybe 60 inch in size ), and when not watching tv, it would act as a digital photo display, but when sent a wi-fi signal from your cable box, or satellite, it would become a beautifully lit TV display? Complete with a see-thru remote control, Siri integrated.

And seamless remote control from my iPad or iPhone.
nt5672 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:49 AM   #119
Heinsenberg
macrumors member

120 or 240hz?
Heinsenberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:49 AM   #120
koban4max
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
I don't get how all the Apple haters think that all Apple will do is make a thin TV set, put an Apple logo on it and sell it for double the price of a competing set.

Apple is about the SOFTWARE as well as the hardware. iPads are selling like crazy because of the software's ease of use. Same with iPods, MacBooks and MacBook Airs.

Apple TV will come with a value-add that makes it well worth the price, or it won't sell. Simple as that.

Apple sold 'MP3 players' for twice the price of rivals, and beat them all. Apple sells laptops for twice the price of rivals, and is the leader in laptops. Apple sells tablets for twice the price of rivals, and is the leader in tablets.

Maybe apple will make tv into a nice iOS device since they had been focusing on it. Maybe we can walk to our new Apple TV and swipe to change the channel?
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:51 AM   #121
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post

Are current tv's that difficult to use?
AppleScruff1 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:55 AM   #122
fromoxwithlove
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei101 View Post
Why would I replace my TV?
Because the commercials with the white backdrop...
fromoxwithlove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:56 AM   #123
danakin
macrumors member

In my opinion, the most important thing a TV can do is provide a wonderful display. How I get media on to it is secondary. I have a Denon Blu-Ray player, a cable box, and an Apple TV all connected via HDMI through a Denon receiver.

My (main) TV is a Panasonic Plasma that easily bests the Sony LCD I have in the bedroom.

Plasma still provides an overall better picture experience than LCD/LED. If this supposed Apple Television is not a Plasma display, or an OLED by the time it's released, it will have a second-rate display. This makes it a no-go for me.
danakin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:56 AM   #124
fromoxwithlove
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
Are current tv's that difficult to use?
Airplay Mirroring
fromoxwithlove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:00 PM   #125
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinsenberg View Post
I actually own the Bose TV; VideoWave. 46" LCD sounds amazing and it the user interface is great to say the least. It was $3999. This is in my bedroom and if have never heard what it sounds like, you should give it a listen.
I'll bet it does sound amazing. I love Bose. I own a Lifestyle system. I think when these companies try to incorporate their proprietary technologies it just bumps up the price too high though. For example, if you're a Bose fan you can only get up to a 55" LCD TV from them and that bad boy cost $6000. The website doesn't even mention if the backlighting is full array. I hope so at that price but there are Bose fans that would like a 60 or 65" and that's just not an option and if it was it would be at a price not affordable by many.

This is why I'm concerned that Apple's TV won't be priced in an affordable range for many unless they keep the sizes of the panel small such as a 46" to 50". I would rather have the TV I choose and the sound system and internet applications separate.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion