Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Ccrew
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Best Buy open box and warranty?

Just curious if anyone's bought a machine out of BB's open box system and subsequently had to deal with warranty issues on it and if so how it's handled.

Picked up one yesterday for the wife, and no issues with it, just per Apple's system its warranty began Sept 6th 2011. This will obviously affect Applecare if I buy it, and any warranty end dates forthcoming.

Thanks.
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:51 PM   #2
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Just buy the Best Buy warranty with it. Covers accidental damage. Completely worth it.

For the most part I think that open box items are a good deal. A lot of time somebody simply opened the box and for whatever reason had to return the item. Usually nothing wrong with the item at all. Even so, it's likely still under manufacturer's warranty anyway.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:53 PM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Just curious if anyone's bought a machine out of BB's open box system and subsequently had to deal with warranty issues on it and if so how it's handled.

Picked up one yesterday for the wife, and no issues with it, just per Apple's system its warranty began Sept 6th 2011. This will obviously affect Applecare if I buy it, and any warranty end dates forthcoming.

Thanks.
The Apple warranty start date is determined by when the item is first sold. It isn't reset on subsequent resales.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:25 PM   #4
Nychot
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
i certainly can tell you about my experience. bought an early 2011 base 13" macbook pro from BB open box. for a steal price of $800. absolute mint shape. registered it with apple and bought applecare. no problems. the registration with apple begins when it was shipped from apple to BB. in my case it was shipped in late july and i bought it in october, so i lost about three months of the one year warranty. otherwise i am fully covered for the remaining 9 months and then full applecare. BTW the best deal on applecare is from B&H NOT apple. the BB open box deal is great. i had bought a refurb mbp from apple but it arrived dented and i returned it. at BB I got to examine three or four of the open box units and picked mine. plus i got the 18 month deal on my card, apple's was 12 months for a computer over 999. BB was $429 and over. so all around it was unbeatable. plus with the BB cars you get discounts and deals etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Just curious if anyone's bought a machine out of BB's open box system and subsequently had to deal with warranty issues on it and if so how it's handled.

Picked up one yesterday for the wife, and no issues with it, just per Apple's system its warranty began Sept 6th 2011. This will obviously affect Applecare if I buy it, and any warranty end dates forthcoming.

Thanks.

Last edited by Nychot; Jan 15, 2012 at 03:34 PM.
Nychot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:44 PM   #5
sogreedy23
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
FWIW, I'd give it a shot anyway. I purchased an early 2011 15" from Amazon Warehouse Deals, the invoice clearly states "used-like new" and from Amazon Warehouse Deals. Apple pushed the date of purchase (and hence the start of the warranty) to the actual day I received the macbook, which was December 30th. Its worth a shot, no sense in not trying because theres no harm in it.

Good luck with it!
sogreedy23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:25 PM   #6
M5RahuL
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ [will always be home ] ... Denver, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
.... It isn't reset on subsequent resales.
That is incorrect. I bought mine from the Amazon warehouse deals and Apple reset the full warranty to my purchase date [ Dec 30 2011 ] from Sept 2011 [original purchase date].
__________________
Late '13 15" rMBP 2.3'16' 512 iPad Air LTE Mini Retina LTE
For Sale Mid '13 MBA All Samsung i7`8`256 ; Mid '13 13" rMBP 2.4' 8'256 ; iP5S Unlocked ; Note 3
M5RahuL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:37 PM   #7
fenderbass146
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northwest Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Just curious if anyone's bought a machine out of BB's open box system and subsequently had to deal with warranty issues on it and if so how it's handled.

Picked up one yesterday for the wife, and no issues with it, just per Apple's system its warranty began Sept 6th 2011. This will obviously affect Applecare if I buy it, and any warranty end dates forthcoming.

Thanks.
I work at best buy in geeksquad...so the warranties are my expertise. Buying open box doesn't affect warranties. All you need to do is send in your recipet to apple and they will allow it to start warranty from day you purchased it.. Also I wouldn't recommend best buys warranty, unless you are getting accidental because apple doesnt offer it. Let me know if you have any questions
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina 13" 2.4 i5 256 GB SSD 4 GB
iPad Air 16 GB Space Gray
iPhone 5 16 GB Verizon Black
5th Gen U2 iPod 30 GB
fenderbass146 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:39 PM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5RahuL View Post
That is incorrect. I bought mine from the Amazon warehouse deals and Apple reset the full warranty to my purchase date [ Dec 30 2011 ] from Sept 2011 [original purchase date].
A refurbished sale is different from the sale of a used model. Apple provides new warranties on refurb models, as well.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:01 PM   #9
Ccrew
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderbass146 View Post
Also I wouldn't recommend best buys warranty, unless you are getting accidental because apple doesnt offer it. Let me know if you have any questions
Thanks. In our case it's a current gen iMac, so I'm not concerned with accidental damage too much. I'll do the applecare thing for sure. With two kids in college I can usually get the edu discount or run it through my employer and get a pretty smoking price on it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
A refurbished sale is different from the sale of a used model. Apple provides new warranties on refurb models, as well.
The amazon warehouse deals weren't refurbs though, they were returns. Clearly one of those subjects where it's probably best to call Apple. I'll check on what their official line is and let everyone know. Thanks for the responses everyone.
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:09 PM   #10
wordoflife
macrumors 604
 
wordoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Republic City, URN.
Call apple and have them adjust your start date of coverage.
wordoflife is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:53 PM   #11
thermodynamic
macrumors 65816
 
thermodynamic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Just curious if anyone's bought a machine out of BB's open box system and subsequently had to deal with warranty issues on it and if so how it's handled.

Picked up one yesterday for the wife, and no issues with it, just per Apple's system its warranty began Sept 6th 2011. This will obviously affect Applecare if I buy it, and any warranty end dates forthcoming.

Thanks.

Nope.

Do some web searching for how Best Buy uses their warranty to deliver "comparable technology" replacements. Which means if a low-end with a similar processor exists, they will give you a $600 cheapie Windows PC instead of a $1800 iMac or whatever.

YMMV and some stores have staff that do replace hardware with the same brand, but the micro-print does say "similar hardware". Not "similar brand". Or "comparable technology". It's a classic bait-and-switch.

The following is astoundingly bad:

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Manufac...pro/td-p/54293

Note the Best Buy employee's responses, trying to duck the issue by saying "I would venture to say". No way would I trust that at face value. The customer asked point blank for precise details and got an empty runaround, based on assumptions, in return. That is unacceptable.

Some BB stores would be ethical and exchange one Mac for another Mac, but others will definitely point out "comparable technology" and you'd get a $700 low-end Windows PC instead. You might want to check out your local area BBs and ask. Or get something definitive in writing to cover your back. Some people are unethical. It's unfortunate, but it's the world as we've allowed it to become.

Oh, the last Mac I bought - I listened to their bafflegab and asked them point blank about the fine print when they brought up the warranty.

Needless to say, I went to Apple and bought AppleCare instead. Apple I trust. Best Buy... You might get a Worst Purchase, in this regard. They do honor their warranties, but the Mac/PC issue - especially with identical processor technologies - is just a breeding ground for trouble. Someone there MIGHT try to take you for a ride and, again, I asked someone point blank at a store and got them to stammer. They are told to sell based on the allure. Get them on the fine print and they will not know what to do. Get a manager to write on paper "If the Mac fails, use the plan specifically for another Mac." You know that won't happen...

AppleCare I'd heartily recommend...


Lastly, re: BB:

Quote:
If we determine in our sole discretion that your product cannot be repaired, we will replace it with a product of like kind and quality that is of comparable performance or reimburse you for replacement of the product with a voucher or gift card, at our discretion, equal to the current retail value of the product, as determined by us, not to exceed the original purchase price of your product, including taxes.
Technological advances may result in a replacement product with a lower selling price than the original product.
(emphasis added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
Call apple and have them adjust your start date of coverage.
Seconded.
__________________
Early-2011 17" MacBook Pro (2.2GHz 8GB DDR3-12800 (1600MHz))
2009 Mac Pro (Quad, 2.66GHz, 8GB (DDR3-8500 (1066MHz))
iPhone 3GS (32GB)

Last edited by balamw; Jan 15, 2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Consecutive posts
thermodynamic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:15 PM   #12
JamesGorman
macrumors 65816
 
JamesGorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermodynamic View Post
Nope.

Do some web searching for how Best Buy uses their warranty to deliver "comparable technology" replacements. Which means if a low-end with a similar processor exists, they will give you a $600 cheapie Windows PC instead of a $1800 iMac or whatever.

YMMV and some stores have staff that do replace hardware with the same brand, but the micro-print does say "similar hardware". Not "similar brand". Or "comparable technology". It's a classic bait-and-switch.

The following is astoundingly bad:

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Manufac...pro/td-p/54293

Note the Best Buy employee's responses, trying to duck the issue by saying "I would venture to say". No way would I trust that at face value. The customer asked point blank for precise details and got an empty runaround, based on assumptions, in return. That is unacceptable.

Some BB stores would be ethical and exchange one Mac for another Mac, but others will definitely point out "comparable technology" and you'd get a $700 low-end Windows PC instead. You might want to check out your local area BBs and ask. Or get something definitive in writing to cover your back. Some people are unethical. It's unfortunate, but it's the world as we've allowed it to become.

Oh, the last Mac I bought - I listened to their bafflegab and asked them point blank about the fine print when they brought up the warranty.

Needless to say, I went to Apple and bought AppleCare instead. Apple I trust. Best Buy... You might get a Worst Purchase, in this regard. They do honor their warranties, but the Mac/PC issue - especially with identical processor technologies - is just a breeding ground for trouble. Someone there MIGHT try to take you for a ride and, again, I asked someone point blank at a store and got them to stammer. They are told to sell based on the allure. Get them on the fine print and they will not know what to do. Get a manager to write on paper "If the Mac fails, use the plan specifically for another Mac." You know that won't happen...

AppleCare I'd heartily recommend...


Lastly, re: BB:



(emphasis added)



Seconded.
They WILL NOT give you a windows computer if you buy a mac. Thats a blatant lie. They give you a mac with comparable specs.
JamesGorman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:26 PM   #13
Spink10
macrumors 68020
 
Spink10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Just curious if anyone's bought a machine out of BB's open box system and subsequently had to deal with warranty issues on it and if so how it's handled.

Picked up one yesterday for the wife, and no issues with it, just per Apple's system its warranty began Sept 6th 2011. This will obviously affect Applecare if I buy it, and any warranty end dates forthcoming.

Thanks.
I purchased a 2011 iMac Open Box from BB - Opened it up and it was the 2010 Model. Was I mad? Nope - gave me a good argument to receive a brand new sealed 2011 iMac. Glad I recorded the unboxing. Deal turned out good. I believe BB has a special for Open Box items right now. Someone posted the coupon here on the forum few days ago. Search it.

Warranty - Call AppleCare they will move date - If first rep doesn't - call back

Also Amazon Warehouse Deals can be amazing. Prices change. Several of us purchased the high end 15 early 2011 MBP for 1330 shipped - its now 1604 from them. FYI - Amazing customer service. Any problem they will make it right.
Spink10 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:35 PM   #14
Mikesus
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
You don't even need to call Apple. When you register it will state that there is a problem registering, and prompt you to send them a scanned receipt (I took a pic with my iPhone) and within 2 days it was reset to the correct date.

As to warranty. My open box was actually the display. The ":" key was messed up. Scheduled an appt with the local Genius and they replaced it on the spot.

Personally I wouldn't opt for Best Buy warranty. If you must get a warranty look at apple care or square trade.


And yes there is a deal right now on open box. Google for the coupon, its $100 off the open box price.
Mikesus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:39 PM   #15
JamesGorman
macrumors 65816
 
JamesGorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Id probably just go with applecare as your warranty of choice, but with that being said the best buy warranty isn't all that bad.
JamesGorman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:43 AM   #16
tbear1
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
Call apple and have them adjust your start date of coverage.
I didn't buy an open box, but can verify that apple will adjust your warranty date. I had to provide copies of the best buy receipt to Apple, but they moved it.

glenn
tbear1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:09 PM   #17
Ccrew
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
FYI everyone..

Called Apple, and had to send a scanned copy of the receipt but they indeed reset the warranty date. No issues at all.

And in the interim realized that the 4gb of memory I pulled out of my Macbook for the upgrade to 16gb indeed fit her iMac so it's sporting 8gb (which she'll NEVER make use of) And got Applecare for it under EDU for $119 direct from Apple.
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 05:12 PM   #18
gadgetmonster
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
thanks

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the tip about the receipt to apple to get the warranty extended...i just did it. I bought mine from amazon warehouse as a return as well.
gadgetmonster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:43 AM   #19
duky
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Carolina
I just did this as well. I initially just scanned my receipt and sent it in via the online tool at apple.com/support but didn't hear back for a few days so I called in and the rep I talked to said it cannot be done because I "bought the computer at a discounted price". So I had given up but then I got an email from Apple saying they've reset the purchase date so don't give up if one rep doesn't help!
__________________
2.6 rMBP; i7 Mini (xbmc); 64 GB iPad Air; 64GB iPhone 5s; 1080p aTV2; Canon 5DIII
duky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:02 AM   #20
RC85
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Corn Field USA
My first 13" Early 2011 model was an open box. Got it home and it had a dead LCD. I returned it to Micro Center and since it was $100 less than the none opened they weren't able to give a new at the same price, but they did give a $50 gift card which paid for most of my Magic Mouse :-)

I did exchange it for the new one. Since I got a $50 gift card it turned out be a good deal b/c it got me the Magic Mouse, lol.

I also have the two accidental damage warranty through Micro Center, ead the fine print and seems like a decent deal.

I am not a fan of open box items unless it's an item under $300 or so. Hope all goes well.
__________________
13" MacBook Pro (Early 2011), 2.3GHz i5, 8GB OWC RAM, 120GB OWC SSD, 500GB HD7200
iPhone 4S (Black), Sprint, 16GB
iPod nano 4th Gen, 8GB
RC85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:01 AM   #21
scottk1215
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I purchased an Open Box model on March 23rd at Best Buy. Told it had only been previously purchased shortly before (within a month). I have since needed to contact Apple's Support but found out I was unable to change the purchase date because it was open box and it was actually originally sold at Best Buy on November 26th of 2011. Attempts to get a hold of Best Buy customer service have been fruitless in terms of replacing the MBAir with another one or some other kind of resolution. Apple won't reset the purchase date even when sending them the digital receipt best buy sent me.

Any ideas?
scottk1215 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:23 AM   #22
Spink10
macrumors 68020
 
Spink10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottk1215 View Post
I purchased an Open Box model on March 23rd at Best Buy. Told it had only been previously purchased shortly before (within a month). I have since needed to contact Apple's Support but found out I was unable to change the purchase date because it was open box and it was actually originally sold at Best Buy on November 26th of 2011. Attempts to get a hold of Best Buy customer service have been fruitless in terms of replacing the MBAir with another one or some other kind of resolution. Apple won't reset the purchase date even when sending them the digital receipt best buy sent me.

Any ideas?
http://www.apple.com/support/service...fpurchase.html
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:32 AM   #23
robvas
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC85 View Post
My first 13" Early 2011 model was an open box. Got it home and it had a dead LCD. I returned it to Micro Center and since it was $100 less than the none opened they weren't able to give a new at the same price, but they did give a $50 gift card which paid for most of my Magic Mouse :-)

I did exchange it for the new one. Since I got a $50 gift card it turned out be a good deal b/c it got me the Magic Mouse, lol.

I also have the two accidental damage warranty through Micro Center, ead the fine print and seems like a decent deal.

I am not a fan of open box items unless it's an item under $300 or so. Hope all goes well.
I have bought two open-box Mac laptops from Microcenter. I turn them on before I leave the store.
robvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 09:34 AM   #24
silverf1re
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink10 View Post
is there an updated link for this? I am in this same situation.
silverf1re is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:13 AM   #25
Spink10
macrumors 68020
 
Spink10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverf1re View Post
is there an updated link for this? I am in this same situation.
I cant remember exactly what the link was but I think this is the updated link.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Limited Warranty on Open Box ATI 5770? iamMacPerson Buying Tips and Advice 0 Mar 22, 2014 03:28 PM
Would you buy a 2013 MacBook Pro under warranty but no box? (but great price) andyACEcandy MacBook Pro 16 Dec 2, 2013 08:20 PM
iPad: Open box buy mpayne2k iPad 0 Nov 4, 2013 04:52 PM
PLEASE HELP!! Bought Open Box Mac, Want to Reset Warranty Flapjacks MacBook Pro 8 Mar 17, 2013 11:00 AM
Price Advice: Best buy open box for MacBook Redrum509 Buying Tips and Advice 11 Mar 7, 2013 06:29 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC