Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Not hard at all. Finding the right settings is harder :p you just have to tweak and test it to see how your phone performs or just use the settings recommended by the kernel dev or other members.

You basically just flash the zip fie in recovery mode and wipe cache then wipe dalvik cache then that's the installation done. Some kernel devs have their own apps to tweak the phone and some don't so you can use SetCPU or No Frills.

I'm currently using Faux's kernel and his app. You can use his app with stock kernel too but not others (yet).

You can use his app with his kernel and stock kernel but not others at the moment. Do you need any help with it? I've been using his kernel/app for a while now.
Yes any help you can provide would be great.

I assume his kernel is what Downloaded using the app. So the zip file is sitting in my download folder right now. And I guess I should back up the existing kernel first too. My goal for doing this is to improve battery life.

Michael

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Where the heck is the wireless charging orb? Where, Google?

----------

What provider are you on?

AT&T coming from a GS3 so I have an LTE Plan

search for your provider APN settings, on my nexus 4 the apn was almost 100% correct but the port was blank, fixed that and the connection problems fixed so far.
I have changed my APN settings more times than I can count. There was a thread over on XDA that gave precise settings for various different smartphones, and one of them was the GS3. Those settings seemed to work quite well but I forgot to save them, and when messing around with them again changed something, and now I can't find that thread again ugh.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Yes any help you can provide would be great.

I assume his kernel is what Downloaded using the app. So the zip file is sitting in my download folder right now. And I guess I should back up the existing kernel first too. My goal for doing this is to improve battery life.

Michael

I can't remember but I think you decided not to flash a custom recovery? You will have to flash or just boot into TWRP or CWM and flash the zip then wipe cache and dalvik cache. Simple as that. Afterwards you can open his app and configure whatever you want. You will get a pop up asking you to grant his app superuser access, grant it.

His recommended settings are "For Longest Battery: I recommend again, intellidemand with mpdecision OFF, SnakeCharmer ON, Underclock to 1.35 GHz and Eco mode ON, with GPU locked to 400 MHz. <== this combination will be unbeatable for battery life and decent everyday performance!!!"

From my experience it's safe to have those changes "set on boot" in their respective tabs. If you want to undervolt too you can and I've undervolted by -100 mV and it's been stable for me so I have that set on boot too. Don't set voltage on boot unless you're sure it's stable at all frequencies which you can see using the app called StabilityTest.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I can't remember but I think you decided not to flash a custom recovery? You will have to flash or just boot into TWRP or CWM and flash the zip then wipe cache and dalvik cache. Simple as that. Afterwards you can open his app and configure whatever you want. You will get a pop up asking you to grant his app superuser access, grant it.

His recommended settings are "For Longest Battery: I recommend again, intellidemand with mpdecision OFF, SnakeCharmer ON, Underclock to 1.35 GHz and Eco mode ON, with GPU locked to 400 MHz. <== this combination will be unbeatable for battery life and decent everyday performance!!!"

From my experience it's safe to have those changes "set on boot" in their respective tabs. If you want to undervolt too you can and I've undervolted by -100 mV and it's been stable for me so I have that set on boot too. Don't set voltage on boot unless you're sure it's stable at all frequencies which you can see using the app called StabilityTest.
Thanks!

Two questions: how do I wipe those caches that you mentioned? OK that was one question with two possible answers lol.

Michael

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Thanks!

Two questions: how do I wipe those caches that you mentioned? OK that was one question with two possible answers lol.

Michael

I've never used TWRP but I think it's even simpler on it so just look around if you use that.

On CWM "wipe cache partition" is on the main page. Do that then when it's done navigate to "advanced" which is on the main page too then select "wipe dalvik cache" then just reboot from the main menu. On CWM you navigate using the volume buttons and select using the power button. Unless you've flashed the touch mod then you can just use the screen. Again, I'm not sure how TWRP works but I'm sure it's very similar.

Wipe those 2 caches after you've installed your zip which you know is in your downloads folder.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I've never used TWRP but I think it's even simpler on it so just look around if you use that.

On CWM "wipe cache partition" is on the main page. Do that then when it's done navigate to "advanced" which is on the main page too then select "wipe dalvik cache" then just reboot from the main menu. On CWM you navigate using the volume buttons and select using the power button. Unless you've flashed the touch mod then you can just use the screen. Again, I'm not sure how TWRP works but I'm sure it's very similar.

Wipe those 2 caches after you've installed your zip which you know is in your downloads folder.
Crap I did flash the touch mod. Think I should try to undo that before starting this? I was hoping the undo zip might be better perfected by now.

Mike

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Crap I did flash the touch mod. Think I should try to undo that before starting this? I was hoping the undo zip might be better perfected by now.

Mike

No sorry I meant there's a touch mod for CWM so you can actually use the screen when in recovery not the one you're talking about. You don't have to undo that.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Google is finally sending out units for warranty replacements.

Looks like I'm going to have to get in line for one now as well.

Just noticed today the screen turning yellow in the bottom right corner, very noticeable. I'm guessing it's heat related as it seemed to dissipate after a period of time where I kept the screen off. Regardless, wasn't using the phone beyond normal use. Started using the phone again and yellow section reappeared. :(

Well, at least the lesson learned here (at Strausd's expense unfortunately) is that I won't be returning it until my replacement is in hand.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Looks like I'm going to have to get in line for one now as well.

Just noticed today the screen turning yellow in the bottom right corner, very noticeable. I'm guessing it's heat related as it seemed to dissipate after a period of time where I kept the screen off. Regardless, wasn't using the phone beyond normal use. Started using the phone again and yellow section reappeared. :(

Well, at least the lesson learned here (at Strausd's expense unfortunately) is that I won't be returning it until my replacement is in hand.

Unfortunately the email I received with my replacement order said I had 21 days to return it from the date of my replacement device order and not replacement device shipment. So if you get unlucky and have to wait more than 2 weeks for the replacement to get in, you may have to go ahead and send in your phone.

But with all the BS and inconsistencies I have been getting from Google customer support, it is possible that they will tell you something completely different. Heck, they are all so clueless they might just tell you to keep the defective one and the replacement unit.

The good news is that at least your current Nexus 4 is still usable. I wasn't able to do anything on mine.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Unfortunately the email I received with my replacement order said I had 21 days to return it from the date of my replacement device order and not replacement device shipment. So if you get unlucky and have to wait more than 2 weeks for the replacement to get in, you may have to go ahead and send in your phone.

But with all the BS and inconsistencies I have been getting from Google customer support, it is possible that they will tell you something completely different. Heck, they are all so clueless they might just tell you to keep the defective one and the replacement unit.

The good news is that at least your current Nexus 4 is still usable. I wasn't able to do anything on mine.

Yeah, think I may wait a bit before submitting my warranty claim until wait times aren't so damn long. Definitely still useable, just a bit annoying at the moment.

And worst case scenario, I still do have my iPhone 5 and can use that in the interim if needed.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Yeah, think I may wait a bit before submitting my warranty claim until wait times aren't so damn long. Definitely still useable, just a bit annoying at the moment.

And worst case scenario, I still do have my iPhone 5 and can use that in the interim if needed.

Ya, definitely wait if you can. Even if you call Google and they say they will have one out to you in 3-5 days. Everything they have told me has been complete crap.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Really unhappy with how easily the back scratches.

Attachments

• nexus_scratches.png
    nexus_scratches.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 96

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Have you been putting it with keys in the same pocket or something like that?

No! Inside breast pocket of my coat, nothing in there but the phone and its a felt-lined pocket at that.

This is just from laying it down on table/desk tops. This phone hasn't even been out in the field yet...just used here at the home and office.

I really thought the glass would be stronger than this. Surprised it scratched so easily.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
No! Inside breast pocket of my coat, nothing in there but the phone and its a felt-lined pocket at that.

This is just from laying it down on table/desk tops. This phone hasn't even been out in the field yet...just used here at the home and office.

I really thought the glass would be stronger than this. Surprised it scratched so easily.

That's pretty bad then. I would have thought it would be more resistant too. I used mine for a few weeks with no protection but now I have a clear skin on the back but I was thinking of removing it because it's not a perfect fit and I don't like the way it feels on the edges.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
My Nexus 4 replacement just in this morning. But Google Play still says that my replacement device is only pre-ordered. I never got any tracking info or anything.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-12-21 at 12.24.45 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-12-21 at 12.24.45 PM.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 53

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
My Nexus 4 replacement just in this morning. But Google Play still says that my replacement device is only pre-ordered. I never got any tracking info or anything.

I wonder if they'll send you another...... :D

How is the replacement unit? Does it look to be a refurb or a new phone?

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I wonder if they'll send you another...... :D

How is the replacement unit? Does it look to be a refurb or a new phone?

Haha that would be awesome. I have contemplated asking for a refund, but that wouldn't be honest.

It looks to be a brand new product. All accessories came with it. Although the factory screen protector looked different from the first one I got. It did not cover the edges of the screen and it looked like it had been messed with, meaning there were a few air bubbles. Also, there looks to be some dust or small packaging particles on the screen.

Nothing major, but it made me think that it was maybe used before sending it to me. Although it could have been that they just tested the screen to make sure it works as my last one stopped working. But my other theory is that this isn't a new device, just my same one with a new screen. I wish I had written down the serial number of my last one :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.