Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
It tells me this every time I open iTunes to accept or deny. I accept and also made sure it was allowed in my firewall and its sill asking me it when I open it.

I hope this isn't something corrupt that carried over from my PC when transferring iTunes over.:rolleyes::mad:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
No, I've seen the same thing on two new iMac 21.5"S that are behaving exactly the same way and they didn't even have libraries copied over...I've been through security settings on both and can't find any reason for the annoying message pop up.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
No, I've seen the same thing on two new iMac 21.5"S that are behaving exactly the same way and they didn't even have libraries copied over...I've been through security settings on both and can't find any reason for the annoying message pop up.

Whew at least it's not just me, had just got done organizing everything would hate to have to reinstall iTunes. It's very strange but doesn't seem like a common issue. I'm sure there would have been threads about it already.

Hopefully an update fixes it or some file is causing it.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
I resorted to turning off the inbuilt firewall (in Sys Prefs) and no longer get the dialog box.

It is Apples annoying bug, same happens with my 2011 iMac... firewall seems like it doesnt remember settings (which apps are allowed) despite in preferences, I see these apps as allowed to connect...

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I resorted to turning off the inbuilt firewall (in Sys Prefs) and no longer get the dialog box.
I guess the reputation is macs can't really get viruses but still I don't think I'm turning mine off. It's like no protection :eek::eek::D

MSL

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2008
Brighton, UK
Generally speaking you should have a hardware firewall in your router/broadband modem - that should take care of incoming issues. Outgoing traffic is a different matter.

I'm sure this is just a bug and it'll be addressed soon.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
That happen to me also!
I had to un-installed iTune and re-installed to make that message go away!:apple:

Oh god no there's got to be some workaround?

----------

Generally speaking you should have a hardware firewall in your router/broadband modem - that should take care of incoming issues. Outgoing traffic is a different matter.

I'm sure this is just a bug and it'll be addressed soon.

In doing some research here is supposedly a fix that works...although it is 1-year old not sure if it still works. Is this safe to do launching terminal and entering what is quoted? If somebody tries it let me know if it works I'm scared to try it. Lol

http://www.mikesel.info/fixed-do-yo...s-app-to-accept-incoming-network-connections/

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Stop worrying Bob. You will be having a breakdown! (Like me):D

It is definitely something to do with the firewall. I was getting the message and turning off the FW sorted it!!

See above Chuck, if you are a brave man and want to be the guinea pig report ur results^^

:p:eek::D

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
See above Chuck, if you are a brave man and want to be the guinea pig report ur results^^

:p:eek::D
Oh no. I don't think so!
This imac business is becoming far too stressful. My replacement is coming tomorrow. I have no nails left. My hair is falling out. And I still haven't put the damn Xmas tree up!!:eek::(::rolleyes:

Funny thing is. I only started getting that message a few days ago. Before that nothing!
I'm starting to wonder if it is something to do with a recent update. As I haven't changed anything in my itunes library etc!!

Last edited:

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
It's not just a Mac thing. I've also been getting that message from iTunes on my Win 7 PC, before and after upgrading to iTunes 11.

LakeCountry

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2011
I resolved the issues by the following steps:

1. Close iTunes
2. Delete iTunes entry in the firewall settings
3. Navigate to /Applications/iTunes
4. Right-click on the iTunes icon, "Show Package Content"
5. Delete folder "Content"
6. Re-Download iTunes from Apple website and install

All settings and content will be kept. iTunes will ask for the incoming traffic permission once but with the next start the problem should be gone!

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I have a new iMac 21.5" and am getting the exact same too. It's really really annoying.

I'm a bit nervous of doing the above, ie messing about with the library though.

When my iMac arrived I thought it would come with iTunes 11 pre installed, but it didn't, so had to install it. I'm happy to trash the app, and reinstall though....I think!

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I have a new iMac 21.5" and am getting the exact same too. It's really really annoying.

I'm a bit nervous of doing the above, ie messing about with the library though.

When my iMac arrived I thought it would come with iTunes 11 pre installed, but it didn't, so had to install it. I'm happy to trash the app, and reinstall though....I think!
I am scared to do that as well. I've got gigs of music, sorted album art and playlists etc think ill just wait for a fix from apple hopefully

LakeCountry

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2011
Your music and all the other media content is stored in your music folder and therefore is not affected by the steps provided above as you are not touching that folder. :rolleyes:

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Your music and all the other media content is stored in your music folder and therefore is not affected by the steps provided above as you are not touching that folder. :rolleyes:

Im just scared to do it as my iTunes was migrated from windows also dont want to reinstall again in fear of losing any of my ratings.

Has anybody else got this pop-up?

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Has anybody else got this pop-up?

Just as I wrote in a different thread, I had this issue before and with different OS versions beginning with Snow Leopard - and for some reason it always disappeared sooner or later. I don't know why, but I certainly didn't remove and reinstalled the app.

This time it started with a clean install of Mountain Lion which I've done some days ago, iTunes 11 surely wasn't the reason, as I used it before since its release.

From my point of view the OS X firewall at some point in time accepts the settings.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Just as I wrote in a different thread, I had this issue before and with different OS versions beginning with Snow Leopard - and for some reason it always disappeared sooner or later. I don't know why, but I certainly didn't remove and reinstalled the app.

This time it started with a clean install of Mountain Lion which I've done some days ago, iTunes 11 surely wasn't the reason, as I used it before since its release.

From my point of view the OS X firewall at some point in time accepts the settings.
Its too bad im still getting it:mad:

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
Reinstalling iTunes is totally safe, if you're that worried just back up the iTunes library folder before reinstalling. The library is stored there, the app merely reads the library from that folder.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Reinstalling iTunes is totally safe, if you're that worried just back up the iTunes library folder before reinstalling. The library is stored there, the app merely reads the library from that folder.

Under normal circumstances I would totally aggree with you - but, at least for me, things have changed with all the cloud services, in this case iTunes Match.

When I did a ML clean install last week I afterwards imported my iTunes library as I did many times before and you have also recommended. Everything looked fine and like before until iTunes Match started its matching process.

Once it was finished I had around 1200 duplicates in the cloud. The library (and the folder itself which was organized by iTunes) before was clean meaning I only had a few duplicates due to redundant songs in some albums. All the added duplicate songs also were slightly different versions than their original counterpart (a few seconds longer or shorter).

Reason was that iTunes somehow matched a lot of songs in a different way in comparison when they were originally added to my library, meaning a different song version was matched (now both versions were available in iCloud). This was a big mess and is caused by the fact that iTunes Match today matches some songs differently as for example one year ago (Apple might call it an improvment of the matching routines).

This issue doesn't come up when iTunes does its weekly matching, it only happens when you add songs to the library and though iCloud twice (by accident or simply when doing a reinstall) with a more or less large time gap in between.

Once you search the Apple support comunity, you see that this seems to be a common issue.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK
I don't use iTunes Match so wouldn't have come across that particular issue but it does seem pretty logical that that would be a problem, especially if Apple have changed the matching process between now and when the initial compare was done to the Library.

Thanks for bringing that up.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Its too bad im still getting it:mad:

I'm wondering if your iTunes application is incorrectly code-signed.

To see, you could open Terminal (in Utilities) and enter

Code:
codesign -vvv /Applications/iTunes.app/

What you should get is

Code:
/Applications/iTunes.app/: valid on disk
/Applications/iTunes.app/: satisfies its Designated Requirement

If you get something else, the fix would be to trash the iTunes application (which in no way will cause any loss of your iTunes library content) and download and install a clean copy of iTunes from http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.