Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:56 AM   #1
maflynn

iTunes music library corrupted

I'm not sure if this was a result of upgrading to the latest version of iTunes, or having iTunes crash (or my NAS burping) but I basically lost my entire iTunes Library 60+ gig of music. That is the music was physically gone from my NAS.

Luckily I had a backup of my library. Anyone else run into this? I'm not sure where the problem lay, in my NAS or updating?
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:07 AM   #2
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
I'm not sure if this was a result of upgrading to the latest version of iTunes, or having iTunes crash (or my NAS burping) but I basically lost my entire iTunes Library 60+ gig of music. That is the music was physically gone from my NAS.

Luckily I had a backup of my library. Anyone else run into this? I'm not sure where the problem lay, in my NAS or updating?
Most likely your NAS burped. It's possible for the iTunes database to become corrupted, and thus for it to APPEAR that your music went poof (but the files are still there). This isn't what happened to you, though.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:00 AM   #3
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
Most likely your NAS burped. It's possible for the iTunes database to become corrupted, and thus for it to APPEAR that your music went poof (but the files are still there). This isn't what happened to you, though.
No, the music went MIA, not the references. I have a QNAP which I've been generally happy with until the last month or so. The drives are showing ok, by the diagnostics but my Time Machine backups were reporting corruption a month ago and needed to do a complete back up and now this. I'm not sure if the latest firmware is causing this, or something physical is going south on the drives or the unit

----------

Oh wow, I think it its my NAS

To save power since I don't use my NAS at night, I have it set to power down during the late evening and start back up in the early AM. Basically a reboot.

Today when I navigated to the shared folder that holds my iTunes library, my music is suddenly back

The space utilization reported yesterday for my iTunes media folder was 400meg, today 60gig

So the good news is the files are physically there even though the NAS was reporting them MIA yesterday. Funny thing is that yesterday the folders were there but not the songs, for instance I had a Mumford & sons folder but no songs. Today both the folder and songs are there.

Regardless I restored my music library to my rMBP and I'll see if I can contact QNAP's tech support over this. I have a feeling its probably a firmware issue as I think about it
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:31 PM   #4
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
No, the music went MIA, not the references. I have a QNAP which I've been generally happy with until the last month or so. The drives are showing ok, by the diagnostics but my Time Machine backups were reporting corruption a month ago and needed to do a complete back up and now this. I'm not sure if the latest firmware is causing this, or something physical is going south on the drives or the unit

----------

Oh wow, I think it its my NAS

To save power since I don't use my NAS at night, I have it set to power down during the late evening and start back up in the early AM. Basically a reboot.

Today when I navigated to the shared folder that holds my iTunes library, my music is suddenly back

The space utilization reported yesterday for my iTunes media folder was 400meg, today 60gig

So the good news is the files are physically there even though the NAS was reporting them MIA yesterday. Funny thing is that yesterday the folders were there but not the songs, for instance I had a Mumford & sons folder but no songs. Today both the folder and songs are there.

Regardless I restored my music library to my rMBP and I'll see if I can contact QNAP's tech support over this. I have a feeling its probably a firmware issue as I think about it
Yes, I agree completely with what you said above. I didn't mean to mislead with my previous post. Sorry if I did.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:01 PM   #5
maflynn

No worries, I have a thread out on the qnap forum and it appears that someone else had a similar experience (but with a different NAS model). I'll monitor the situation and determine what I should do moving forward.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store