Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:48 AM   #1
Choicy
macrumors newbie

Wifi won't connect automatically

Hey guys! I recently bought my first iPad (3rd gen.) and I'm loving it so far but I have a small problem with the wifi. It won't connect automatically to my home network when I turn on wifi. My iPhone connects to known wifi networks automatically when I turn it on and even connects automatically when I go to a Starbucks. Is this normal for iPads and how do I fix this?

Thanks for any advice!
Choicy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:50 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

No, you should connect automatically to your home network, most people recommend resetting your network settings on the iPad...Delete them and re enter the details.usually does the trick
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:03 AM   #3
Choicy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
No, you should connect automatically to your home network, most people recommend resetting your network settings on the iPad...Delete them and re enter the details.usually does the trick
How do I reset my network settings on the iPad?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:34 AM   #4
Ian.C
macrumors member

Hi,

I have the exact same problem with mine. Tried resetting network setting and all setting and it still the same....

Just won't connect automatically, I have to type in my password every time I switch on wifi...

Really annoying....

Ian
Ian.C is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:49 AM   #5
Macman45
macrumors G5

If that's the case, then I'd take it back for a swap out, or at least get a genius to take a look...Mine connects first time every time without asking for passwords etc.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:06 AM   #6
Ian.C
macrumors member

I seem to have fixed it purely by guessing....

Try this....

Go to wifi settings and switch on wifi.... You wireless name should appear but will not connect automatically.

Now press the home button and press the safari button....

It will instantly not work and a little box will appear with wireless connection available...

Select yours and it will connect...

Now go back to wifi setting under the general tab and switch off the wifi, switch it back on and it should connect automatically....

Worth a try it work for me...

Tanks

Ian
Ian.C is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:43 AM   #7
Choicy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian.C View Post
I seem to have fixed it purely by guessing....

Try this....

Go to wifi settings and switch on wifi.... You wireless name should appear but will not connect automatically.

Now press the home button and press the safari button....

It will instantly not work and a little box will appear with wireless connection available...

Select yours and it will connect...

Now go back to wifi setting under the general tab and switch off the wifi, switch it back on and it should connect automatically....

Worth a try it work for me...

Tanks

Ian
That worked PERFECTLY! Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:16 PM   #8
Ian.C
macrumors member

Glad it worked for you as well

It was doing my head in as well...

Thanks

Ian
Ian.C is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:15 AM   #9
TonyWatt
macrumors newbie

Hi, I've been getting the same problem. That didn't work for me. Did a Network reset, still no joy. I'm getting the 'fan', but every time I connect to my wifi, it lasts about a minute then disconnects. I've tried various 'fixes' all to no avail. Please help a guy in serious distress before I take a sledgehammer to my new iPad. Thanks in advance

UPDATE - I've logged a call with Apple (UK) and they are going to phone me tonight at 18:00. I'll let you know how I get on. Spoke to the wife about this, and she said she was having problems with her laptop connecting to the internet. Alarm bells rang. Disconnected the router, re-connected and voila...everything back to how it should be. Call to Apple cancelled

Lesson learned - Try the obvious solutions first......

Last edited by TonyWatt; Apr 19, 2012 at 05:22 AM.
TonyWatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 03:46 PM   #10
echos
Banned

it should connect automatically. if it doesn't, usually what i do is turn off wifi and turn it back on, which will trigger it to find wifi again.
echos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:02 PM   #11
Dav1
macrumors 6502

@Tony, the iPad is at best only half of the story here. I've never had that happen to me. If the normal tricks are not fixing the issue, then I'd look at how your router is configured. Is your password only using 0 to 9, or a to z, or A to Z? How about the access point name?

When I have WiFi issues, I always like to start at the basics and see if I can connect. Then slowly add things until I determine what is breaking it. Are you running current firmware on your router? Have you tried restarting (power cycling) the router/access point?
Dav1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:14 PM   #12
TheBadger66
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up Thank You

Thank you for the advice, it solved my issue first time. So people know exactly what I did here it is again. For the record I have an iPad2.

The problem was it would not auto connect like my iPhone does.

1. Go to Wi-Fi and turn ON - all available networks will appear including yours but it will not connect (that is why you are here).

2. Hit home button and return to main screen.

3. Open safari and try to open a page.

4. It will not open and a small box will appear with available networks. Select yours. It should connect and you are online.

5. Return to Wi-Fi settings and select OFF. Then select ON and your iPad will find your network and connect automatically.

6. Do this again and again just for fun to see it now works and feel joy overcome you like it did me.

7. Go to pub and drink beer satisfied with your job now done.

* Options 6 and 7 not required but I found them helpful.

A big Thank You to Ian.C.

Some of the worlds greatest problems have been solved by guesswork, great stuff fella. Cheers. Meet me in pub, beers on me!
TheBadger66 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:42 PM   #13
Untethered
macrumors newbie

Exclamation A Simple Way...

Well, before I go answering your questions, I must inform you that I do have an iPad 3 myself, and have great knowledge of it. I have never came across this problem, but my friend has. The following few sentences might not be perfectly accurate, if so, please reply regarding my mistake.
To fix this problem, simply go to network preferences, click Automatically join networks and enable it. (If already enabled, disable and then enable) After doing so, join your network of choice. Then click the blue circle next to it, and if not, click the button that makes it a known network.

Best Regards,

Untethered
Untethered is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2013, 07:06 PM   #14
Blake8504
macrumors newbie

Ahh thanks! My dads was acting up and that fixed it!
Blake8504 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting