Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
I am preparing for a trip for two weeks, and I must leave my iMac in my house, so I am looking for anti-theft software solutions.

I am currently looking into Undercover. I have also looked at Prey, but I want undercover, since it's one time for many devices, and I have more than one mac. I also saw Witness, from orbicule which uses the Mac's camera to notify you if anything happens inside the room. However, I don't think that leaving my Mac with the camera open for two weeks is going to be good for the machine...

I am currently thinking if it's safe to leave my mac open with Witness enabled, so that I can know what's happening inside the house, and if anyone enters.

An alternative solution is to use iTeleport (which I currently own) to check if everything is OK by waking up the computer at periodic intervals (I have seen that iTeleport can do that, but I don't know if it will be able to wake up the computer every time).

Is there anyone who has any thoughts on which solution is best?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I am preparing for a trip for two weeks, and I must leave my iMac in my house, so I am looking for anti-theft software solutions.

I am currently looking into Undercover. I have also looked at Prey, but I want undercover, since it's one time for many devices, and I have more than one mac. I also saw Witness, from orbicule which uses the Mac's camera to notify you if anything happens inside the room. However, I don't think that leaving my Mac with the camera open for two weeks is going to be good for the machine...

I am currently thinking if it's safe to leave my mac open with Witness enabled, so that I can know what's happening inside the house, and if anyone enters.

An alternative solution is to use iTeleport (which I currently own) to check if everything is OK by waking up the computer at periodic intervals (I have seen that iTeleport can do that, but I don't know if it will be able to wake up the computer every time).

Is there anyone who has any thoughts on which solution is best?

I do not know anything about the software... but there is no problem leaving your computer on 24/7. My 2009 iMac has been running non-stop for the past 3 years... except for maintenance.

/Jim

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
I do not know anything about the software... but there is no problem leaving your computer on 24/7. My 2009 iMac has been running non-stop for the past 3 years... except for maintenance.

/Jim

Thanks. You have the camera on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.