Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:18 PM   #1
dbhoward20
macrumors newbie

Getting Started (Switching from Android)

Hello everyone I am new here and I figured id start off by saying I do not know why I did not get into ios development earlier. I have 2 main questions one being about ios and the other about the game im thinking about building. Firstly I was very smart with android programming as well as other languages C++, VB and I was wondering how much of a difference is ios? Now my second question is about my game im thinking about building. If I wanted to implement a multiplayer not like a literal one but one that pulls the players stats and currency and what not, could this be achieved with mysql? Or would I have to just create myself a few servers? Any ideas would be great since I am newbish with ios.
dbhoward20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:00 PM   #2
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 601

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
1 - You're still using OO languages, and they're still based on C. Programs for iOS are written in Obj-C and C. C++ is permissible in some spots but you can't use it alone.

I'm don't understand your second question.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:09 PM   #3
dbhoward20
macrumors newbie

Ok thanks . My second question well let me make it easier I was in a rush when I asked the second one lol. But basically I am wanting to do a multiplayer type game. When a player first starts the game he/she gets to choose their name and once that is done it will store their name in a database and id imagine it would check their device id when they opened the app again. But the main thing is a player builds things and as they build them they level up and such I was wondering if this is something can be achieved without the use of a full blown server? Or would MySQL be they way the go to store the player values.
dbhoward20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:24 PM   #4
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 601

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
If you're not using a server, how else would online persistence be managed?

Game Center can manage accounts, high scores, and achievements...

iCloud can store more arbitrary data...

I still don't really understand your question.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming