Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google Maps was released for iOS on December 12, and in the five days after it hit the App Store, ad management platform MoPub noticed a 29 percent increase in unique iOS 6 users.

The data from MoPub, which supports 12,000 apps and monitors 1 billion ad impressions daily, suggests that quite a few iDevice owners were waiting for a better mapping solution before upgrading to Apple's newest operating system.

ios6adoptiongrowth.jpg
TechCrunch spoke to MoPub CEO Jim Payne, who had this to say:
"We observed since the launch of Google Maps for iOS 6 a 30 percent increase in unique iOS 6 users, and we think it's related to Google Maps. It verifies that hypothesis that people were actually holding back to upgrade until Google Maps was available."
MoPub's data does, however, conflict with another report from mobile ad network Chitika, which saw just a 0.2 percentage point increase in iOS 6 users in the first 36 hours of Google Maps availability. MoPub seems to include a wider set of data than Chitika and which was taken over a longer period of time, and MoPub's inclusion of weekend data in particular seems to have contributed significantly to the observed increase in adoption, as people may have been waiting to do the lengthy update to iOS 6.

An increased iOS 6 adoption rate following the launch of Google Maps not only benefits Google, but also Apple, which naturally wants as many users as possible on its latest operating system version. With Google's mapping solution now taking some of the pressure off of Apple's own flawed product, one major reason holding some users back from updating to iOS 6 has been addressed.

Article Link: iOS 6 Adoption Up 29% After Google Maps Hits App Store

thekris1234

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
Ironic that the developer of a platform with slow adoption rates can cause the adoption rate of a rival platform to surge.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Could it be that more people are buying iPhone 5/new iPads (which come with iOS 6 to begin with) for holiday gifts?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Unless I'm seeing things differently:

Wed-Thur: gradient far less than Tue-Wed
Thur-Fri: gradient about the same as Tue-Wed
Fri-Sat: gradient steeper than Tue-Wed, which is normal since more people will be at home to update. That, and more people will buy new phones at the weekend.

That graph, if anything, shows the exact opposite to what this article is suggesting.

Megagator

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
USA
Or maybe the fact that iPhone, iPad and iPad mini sales are likely going up due to Christmas and such?
Not that no one waited on google maps but 30% increase seems a little steep.

trunten

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2007
This is such a horrible use of statistics.... Need to know our starting point.

edit: Looks like voyagerd just beat me to that point.

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
Ironic that the developer of a platform with slow adoption rates can cause the adoption rate of a rival platform to surge.

Your statement isn't really factually accurate—1.3 million Android devices are being activated every day. I wouldn't call that "slow" :confused:

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Or maybe the fact that iPhone, iPad and iPad mini sales are likely going up due to Christmas and such?
Not that no one waited on google maps but 30% increase seems a little steep.

Could be, seen new iPhone 5 on sale as low as $127.00 & 4S at $50.00 at various retailers for holiday season.

Along with the iPad mini which seems to be taking off too.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Well, I can tell you that I was one of them. I didn't want to upgrade to iOS 6 until suitable replacement apps for YouTube and Google Maps were available.

SuperBrown

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Hollywoodland
Well, I can tell you that I was one of them. I didn't want to upgrade to iOS 6 until suitable replacement apps for YouTube and Google Maps were available.

That makes 3 of us. My friend and I also have yet to upgrade to iOS6, but I'll likely do so soon now for this exact reason.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Your statement isn't really factually accurate—1.3 million Android devices are being activated every day. I wouldn't call that "slow" :confused:

He's referring to the fact that over 50% of Android devices are still running an OS Google released over two years ago. As an Android Developer, it sucks because it means if you want to support more than 50% of the market, you have to restrict yourself to using APIs that were available when Google released Gingerbread 2 years ago.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012

I believe he meant to point out the slowness of Android's version upgrade rate yet couldn't quite put the correct words down. In the context of an article about OS Upgrades one can only assume.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I agree that Google Maps had more data, but I have had no issues with the information that is actually in the Maps App.

My Biggest issue is Google was way smarter in finding places. As in example, if I asked Siri to search for Village Inn, stupid Siri would search for Village In and not find anything. Whereas with Google, if I searched for Village In, it would ask if I meant Village Inn.

Apple needs to fix this ASAP. Google was just way smarter when searching for awkwardly named businesses such as a place called Cookiez instead of Cookies.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
This is such a horrible use of statistics.... Need to know our starting point.

edit: Looks like voyagerd just beat me to that point.

Insufficient data needed for analysis.

It certainly would have been good to include some "pre-Google Maps" data points, but it should be pretty safe to assume that the number of iOS 6 devices wasn't growing by more than 30% per week before this.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Wish apple and google would come to smoe agreement where we'd be allowed to use apples UI but googles logic

best of both

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
I agree that Google Maps had more data, but I have had no issues with the information that is actually in the Maps App.

My Biggest issue is Google was way smarter in finding places. As in example, if I asked Siri to search for Village Inn, stupid Siri would search for Village In and not find anything. Whereas with Google, if I searched for Village In, it would ask if I meant Village Inn.

Apple needs to fix this ASAP. Google was just way smarter when searching for awkwardly named businesses such as a place called Cookiez instead of Cookies.

Absolutely, my biggest complaint with apple maps. It's horrible at knowing what I actually want when searching for something. I can search for UPS distribution center and it wuld give me UPS stores across town. I go to google and type the same information in and it takes me right where I need to go.

lakshwadeep

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
It certainly would have been good to include some "pre-Google Maps" data points, but it should be pretty safe to assume that the number of iOS 6 devices wasn't growing by more than 30% per week before this.

But that 30% is based on what's defined as "100%". Instead of just plotting absolute numbers, they should have plotted the second derivative (i.e. the rate of iOS 6 adoption per unit of time, not just the number of adoptions). That would have clearly shown whether there is an increase in the rate after google maps was reintroduced.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx

Agreed 100%! Even when it comes to addresses, Apple Maps is very finicky. 123 Easy St 75623 would find an address in Google whereas Apple needs city, state, and precise address formulation..

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Google Maps is a nice app, but I can't use it as my primary map application for a few reasons:

1. No contact integration. That's a basic feature that Apple's Maps and other GPS apps have. I have no idea why Google shipped this without it.

2. No night mode. Navigon does this very well.

3. Notification banners/spoken voice isn't done very well. Apple Maps does a much better job with the rotating banners, and Google Maps has trouble speaking up over music being played, whereas Apple and Navigon mute the music somewhat to make it easier to hear.

I did notice that Google Maps has gotten better at naming the roads to travel and turn onto. The first 2 days I had it, it just said "turn left/right". Now it names the roads. No idea what happened there. I'm sure subsequent updates will add these much needed features and fixes, and I look forward to it.

Can they?

Why not? Navigon is third party and it has both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.