Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jakobben

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Hi,

I have some albums on my Macbook that I've bought through iTunes. These play fine on my Mac and used to play on my iPhone 4. But now some of the albums just don't work on the iPhone anymore. When I start a song the play/pause button changes to "pause" indicating that it is playing, but the playhead stays at 0:00 and no sound comes out.... I haven't tried re-syncing the phone to the mac as it is a new mac and the iPhone will loose all in-app data (I've tried multiple solutions to get it to sync without throwing the in-app data but nothing works - the old Mac which was used to sync the iPhone is no longer available to me).

I'm really bothered with the fact that the music I bought through iTunes has caused me so much trouble over the years in different ways, whereas the stuff I get from CD etc. has never given me any problems...!

Has anyone tried this? I'll probably end up just syncing with my new mac and erasing all my in-app data (mostly game saves as other stuff is synced via other services).

Regards,
Jakobben

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Hi,

I have some albums on my Macbook that I've bought through iTunes. These play fine on my Mac and used to play on my iPhone 4. But now some of the albums just don't work on the iPhone anymore. When I start a song the play/pause button changes to "pause" indicating that it is playing, but the playhead stays at 0:00 and no sound comes out.... I haven't tried re-syncing the phone to the mac as it is a new mac and the iPhone will loose all in-app data (I've tried multiple solutions to get it to sync without throwing the in-app data but nothing works - the old Mac which was used to sync the iPhone is no longer available to me).

I'm really bothered with the fact that the music I bought through iTunes has caused me so much trouble over the years in different ways, whereas the stuff I get from CD etc. has never given me any problems...!

Has anyone tried this? I'll probably end up just syncing with my new mac and erasing all my in-app data (mostly game saves as other stuff is synced via other services).

Regards,
Jakobben

2 Questions:

On your new mac, you didn't back up your old data and transfer? I'm specifically talking about iTunes here, it's quite possible and easy to pull the phone data so it reads on your new comp.

Do you have autosync set?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Apple doesn't even SELL DRM-encrypted music anymore. Why don't they just have the next iTunes update remove all DRM from music in the library automatically? This would make a lot of sense and resolve a lot of issues that really shouldn't be issues anymore. :p

Jakobben

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Hi,

Thanks for your replies!

I have authorized the computer, yes ;-). I have a SuperDuper (and had a TimeMachine backup) of the old drive so everything is copied over in the exact same file structure. But every time I try to sync it says it will erase the content on the iPhone... I get by, but it was so much easier back when I could just plug in my phone and everything "just worked" (updated playlists, apps etc.).

I actually just got it working with manually syncing music alone (no apps) which hopefully works. I guess this should reapply the songs to my iPhone which should make it work again.

I totally agree with removing the DRM-stuff. It is the main reason for me hesitating to by anything on iTunes (or any other online store).

/Jakobben

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.