Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

View Poll Results: Apple Maps or Google Maps?
Sticking with Apple Maps 101 42.44%
Going with Google Maps 137 57.56%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:21 AM   #126
Tom G.
macrumors 65816
 
Tom G.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I've not downloaded Google maps, and from what I've read I am staying with Apple maps.
__________________
Tom G.
Sent from my iPad Air.
15" retina screen MBP; iPhone 6 Gold 128G, iPad Air White 64GB 4G LTE.
Tom G. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:14 PM   #127
gmanist1000
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
gmanist1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G. View Post
I've not downloaded Google maps, and from what I've read I am staying with Apple maps.
Why? I'm curious,
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:28 PM   #128
Razeus
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Google all the way.
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:47 PM   #129
Ashwood11
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: US
Google maps doesn't correctly locate my home.
Ashwood11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:01 AM   #130
D.T.
macrumors 68030
 
D.T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vilano Beach, FL
Apple Maps has worked great for me, is well integrated into the OS, has some nice perks like lock-screen navigation (I don't believe that's a Google feature). I'll be sticking with the Apple app!
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:45 AM   #131
Kukulcan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
I tested Google and Apple side by side for two days. There is one thing that made me decide for Apple - the traffic data is more up to date. Better integration and less data usage is the icing on the cake.

That is for TBT with spoken directions. I don't care that much how the maps look and if it shows traffic (which is an obvious feature that Google implements, but that just doesn't help that much if it is from an hour ago).

Besides that both are equal here where Apple map data is pretty much perfect. Google voice sounds more human, but Siris voice comes through a little more clear over the music playing.

Will use Google Maps for Streetview, maybe finding POIs - like I used the old Google maps (so more or less never). Transit directions, if I ever need them are done using a third app. Nice to have a choice (especially for those in countries forgotten by Apple), but for me the release of Google Maps didn't change that much.
__________________
Cheers! Martin aka Kukulcan - time-tours.com
Kukulcan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:03 AM   #132
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukulcan View Post
I tested Google and Apple side by side for two days. There is one thing that made me decide for Apple - the traffic data is more up to date. Better integration and less data usage is the icing on the cake.

That is for TBT with spoken directions. I don't care that much how the maps look and if it shows traffic (which is an obvious feature that Google implements, but that just doesn't help that much if it is from an hour ago).

Besides that both are equal here where Apple map data is pretty much perfect. Google voice sounds more human, but Siris voice comes through a little more clear over the music playing.

Will use Google Maps for Streetview, maybe finding POIs - like I used the old Google maps (so more or less never). Transit directions, if I ever need them are done using a third app. Nice to have a choice (especially for those in countries forgotten by Apple), but for me the release of Google Maps didn't change that much.
Less data usage will apply to both maps since the new Google Maps is vector-based as well.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:17 AM   #133
Kukulcan
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
Less data usage will apply to both maps since the new Google Maps is vector-based as well.
I know, still it uses about 5x as much.
__________________
Cheers! Martin aka Kukulcan - time-tours.com
Kukulcan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:35 AM   #134
canwe3
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
google has 10yrs of collected data. I use google maps but google nav did take me to wrong places COUPLE OF TIMES. I was late a lot of times cause of that. Iphone nav uses tom tom so I think nav wise iphone is better. I'll just use google maps cause it's what I"m used to.

ACtully I might just use apple maps just for navs, copy and paste the address. I prefer apple nav UI than googles.
canwe3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:21 PM   #135
Phrygian
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post
Turn by turn is a bit of a gimmick to me. Neither google nor apple maps are better than my satnav. Good for an emergency I suppose.

On foot, which is when I use maps on my phone most, apple maps is awful, google excellent. It's all about the POIs, and apple just doesn't have them here. Yelp is a US company with little impact in other countries. Baffling why apple decided to rely on them so heavily.
So much this its not even funny. All these people worry about the quality of their turn by turn nav... but refuse to buy a garmin or a tomtom.... /facepalm.

And before anyone starts in on a "what if we can't afford a garmin/tomtom"? they cost 80-130 bucks, and if you are worrying about turn by turn, you already own the most expensive phone one can buy (well, close to it anyway), and you own a car.

And as for the data usage... that's actually interesting, but i have unlimited dataplan grandfathered from my iphone 3gs. yeeeeeeaaah. Might be an issue with getting that turn info as soon as you want in the boonies on 3G or edge... but again, refer to my first point.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G. View Post
I've not downloaded Google maps, and from what I've read I am staying with Apple maps.
I'm also curious. What have you read? Apple geniousbar memos?
Phrygian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:23 PM   #136
apollo1444
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: mexico
I'll switch to apple maps once Eddy Cue's results are in

apple maps is flawed for the time being
apollo1444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:34 PM   #137
darky90
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I'll be using Google from now on. It's been around and well trusted. Maybe I'll switch over to Apple's map once they fix their issues.
darky90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:42 PM   #138
j4zb4
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I want to set it as default... Apple maps doesn't give directions in my country... so someone sends me a location I can't click on "directions to there" as I used to... I need that... Badly...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoylife1788 View Post
In India, you cant even try to compare both the maps. You can say that Apple maps is just there as an icon with no data. I mean what was apple even thinking while making maps. I dont wanna state the obvious again and again.

But after google maps, you can say that i will start using my iPhone for directions. Earlier it wasnt just possible with Apple maps.
Dude Apple maps doesn't even give directions in our country... lol...
j4zb4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:34 PM   #139
gmanist1000
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
gmanist1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 7:4 View Post
Turn by turn is a bit of a gimmick to me. Neither google nor apple maps are better than my satnav. Good for an emergency I suppose.

On foot, which is when I use maps on my phone most, apple maps is awful, google excellent. It's all about the POIs, and apple just doesn't have them here. Yelp is a US company with little impact in other countries. Baffling why apple decided to rely on them so heavily.
Apple adding Foursquare could have a huge impact. Let's see how it plays out.
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:59 PM   #140
quietstormSD
macrumors 6502a
 
quietstormSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
I'll be mixing it up
__________________
Early 2011 13" MBP 2.3GHz Intel Core i5; iPod Shuffle 4th gen; iPad Air WIFI 32GB silver/white; iPhone 6 64GB gold on at&t

Twitter: @KarchaInSD
quietstormSD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:12 PM   #141
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God
 
xraydoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 192.168.1.1
For turn-by-turn, I've been using mostly Navagon on the iPhone, though usually the system in my car. If I'm walking in a city, however, I'll probably pull up Google until I have more confidence in Apple. Not to say that Google doesn't make mistakes - because I've found some - but Google's POIs (restaurants, stores, etc) are clearly better than Apple's. Apple's looks better, though.
__________________
3.5GHz i7 27" iMac Surface Pro 3 i5 2.5GHz i5 Mac mini + 27" Thunderbolt display iPhone 6 Plus
xraydoc is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:22 AM   #142
Heb 7:4
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Apple adding Foursquare could have a huge impact. Let's see how it plays out.
How? It's equally crap outside the US as Yelp
Heb 7:4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:31 PM   #143
zioxide
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Apple Maps integration with Siri & the rest of the OS means it will still be my go-to app for turn-by-turn navigation. Being able to just tap the green bar at the top of the screen to return to the navigation is very convenient. And the data is getting better.

Google Maps is there for backup in case there are any errors with the info Apple Maps gives me.

I always check the route before I start too so I don't end up 20 miles from where I am supposed to be. Some people are too stupid to make a simple check like this and then whine when they don't end up where they want to be. People need to remember how to think for themselves and use technology as a tool, not as a replacement to their brain.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:41 PM   #144
gmanist1000
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
gmanist1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Apple Maps integration with Siri & the rest of the OS means it will still be my go-to app for turn-by-turn navigation. Being able to just tap the green bar at the top of the screen to return to the navigation is very convenient. And the data is getting better.

Google Maps is there for backup in case there are any errors with the info Apple Maps gives me.

I always check the route before I start too so I don't end up 20 miles from where I am supposed to be. Some people are too stupid to make a simple check like this and then whine when they don't end up where they want to be. People need to remember how to think for themselves and use technology as a tool, not as a replacement to their brain.
Some people just don't have one.
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:21 PM   #145
mac00l
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Apple Maps integration with Siri & the rest of the OS means it will still be my go-to app for turn-by-turn navigation. Being able to just tap the green bar at the top of the screen to return to the navigation is very convenient. And the data is getting better.

Google Maps is there for backup in case there are any errors with the info Apple Maps gives me.

I always check the route before I start too so I don't end up 20 miles from where I am supposed to be. Some people are too stupid to make a simple check like this and then whine when they don't end up where they want to be. People need to remember how to think for themselves and use technology as a tool, not as a replacement to their brain.
Please explain me, how are you going to check if the place you are heading to is correct, if you have nothing more than an address and never been there before?

At least in Mexico that is a huge problem, since you have plenty of streets with the same name in a relatively small area.

Last night I was off by 5km. I was in the same street same number, in the same city, only in a different area. Apple never was able to get the correct place, google did.

Nonetheless I love Siri's turn by turn navigation implementation. Therefore I find the place in google, only to place a marker on Apple's Maps to get me there.

Regarding getting a dedicated GPS, well.... I have one, a Tomtom. Works great and I use it when going to other cities, specially Texas where streets might get confusing. But in the day to day, I find it easier to pull my phone from my pocket, give a direction and hear the instructions trough my stereo. I know I would never trust my life on Siri, but precision is something expected from a map app from which you are expecting precisely precision.
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" 2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM ; MacBook Air 13" 1.3Ghz, 4GB RAM ; 16GB iPhone 5 ; 32GB iPad mini ; Apple TV Moto X
mac00l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:05 PM   #146
zioxide
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac00l View Post
Please explain me, how are you going to check if the place you are heading to is correct, if you have nothing more than an address and never been there before?
Google Maps

Or Mapquest.

But if the data proves correct then I use the Apple Maps for the turn by turn for the reasons you listed. I live in the Northeast US in one of the most populous areas of the country so the data here has been quite accurate.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:54 PM   #147
NedBookPro
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Yes. No question.

.
__________________
'10 MBP 13 iP 4S, iP 4, iP 3GS 2G iPod Touch 5G iPod nano 2G aTV Newton 110
NedBookPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google Maps Update Improves Navigation, Adds Arabic and Hebrew Support MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 47 Oct 17, 2013 09:52 AM
Navigation delay with new Google Maps/Navigation jamojamo Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 2 Jul 17, 2013 03:10 PM
mobile OSs: Google Maps Navigation Michael Goff Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 0 Feb 27, 2013 12:50 PM
Google maps does turn by turn navigation where Apple maps does not on iPhone 4 orestes1984 iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Dec 14, 2012 06:21 PM
Apple's Split with Google Over iOS Maps Driven by Turn-by-Turn Navigation Dispute MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 434 Sep 30, 2012 12:29 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC