Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:20 PM   #26
OriginalMacRat
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxcooldude View Post
Could be, seen new iPhone 5 on sale as low as $127.00 & 4S at $50.00 at various retailers for holiday season.
That's a LOT of savings when signing up for a 2yr minimum $1,920 contract!!
OriginalMacRat is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:22 PM   #27
FrauHasSpoken
macrumors member

embarrassing.

they deserve all the scrutiny they're getting.
FrauHasSpoken is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:22 PM   #28
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathcolo View Post
Your statement isn't really factually accurate—1.3 million Android devices are being activated every day. I wouldn't call that "slow"
Erasing a device to reinstall the Android counts as an activation.
Consultant is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:23 PM   #29
slffl
macrumors 65816

Wow, so that many people didn't upgrade because of what other trolls and link bait bloggers said about Apple Maps, not because they actually used it. Sad.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:26 PM   #30
needfx
macrumors 68000

true dat!!

I haven't upgraded yet for exactly this reason. and even now, still waiting a bit, because as you might have guessed, I really need the maps to work correctly, and no, I don't want to carry a gps which I do not own, no, I don't care for turn by turn.

vote up if you don't give a damn!
needfx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:26 PM   #31
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
Can they?
Why not?
gmanist1000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:26 PM   #32
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by slffl View Post
Wow, so that many people didn't upgrade because of what other trolls and link bait bloggers said about Apple Maps, not because they actually used it. Sad.
But if you upgraded and hated Apple Maps, there was no way to go back.
rwilliams is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:28 PM   #33
iphoneclassic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacaramac View Post
Apple needs to fix this ASAP. Google was just way smarter when searching for awkwardly named businesses such as a place called Cookiez instead of Cookies.
It is not an app fix. They have to partner with Yahoo or Bing. They are the only two reasonable competitors to Google. Or even better buy Yahoo.

For some reason folks in cupertino thought string matching on 24 sources will do the trick.
iphoneclassic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:29 PM   #34
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by slffl View Post
Source for that claim?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:29 PM   #35
FrauHasSpoken
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Why not?
"...the application duplicated the core dialer functionality of the iPhone."

FrauHasSpoken is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:34 PM   #36
lanirugzo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalisherpa View Post
Could it be that more people are buying iPhone 5/new iPads (which come with iOS 6 to begin with) for holiday gifts?
Good point. I have a hard time believing that many people waited to upgrade to iOS 6 just because of Apple Maps (which, I think, is not any worse than Google Maps).
lanirugzo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:35 PM   #37
joel6653
macrumors newbie

Percentage axis on graph

Am I the only one who doesn't get what the percentage axis on the graph is supposed to mean? Before Google Maps, the percentage of adoption was 100%, and has now increased to 129% of users?
joel6653 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:36 PM   #38
iphoneclassic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilliams View Post
But if you upgraded and hated Apple Maps, there was no way to go back.
In the early days of iOS6 launch, the reason not to sign 5.1.1 on old devices, aggregated the Apple Maps issue. Had Apple been flexible with their signing policy 90+ Million would have a choice to use iOS6/Apple Maps or iOS5.1.1/Google Maps. No one could blame Apple in that scenario. 10+ Million IP5 users are small percentage.

I guess Forstall's arrogance was in play.
iphoneclassic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:37 PM   #39
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
Erasing a device to reinstall the Android counts as an activation.
No it doesn't.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/20/g...rumpets-700-0/

Quote:
"For those wondering, we count each device only once (i.e., we don't count re-sold devices), and "activations" means you go into a store, buy a device [and] put it on the network by subscribing to a wireless service."
For a spewing hater, you are very uneducated in the matter.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:40 PM   #40
linuxcooldude
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post
Sorry, but any cellular service will cost you a monthly fee regardless of phone.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:41 PM   #41
tbrinkma
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel6653 View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't get what the percentage axis on the graph is supposed to mean? Before Google Maps, the percentage of adoption was 100%, and has now increased to 129% of users?
Yeah. They probably *could* have come up with a more awkward, less meaningful version of that graph, but it probably would have involved not labeling the axes, and not showing *any* 'before' data.

Is there a reason not to show it in terms of absolute percentage, or rate of increase, rather than a percentage relative to an unspecified percentage with virtually no historical data included?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:41 PM   #42
Dr McKay
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
He's referring to the fact that over 50% of Android devices are still running an OS Google released over two years ago. As an Android Developer, it sucks because it means if you want to support more than 50% of the market, you have to restrict yourself to using APIs that were available when Google released Gingerbread 2 years ago.
Yea that sucks, out of genuine curiosity what 4.0+ API's could you make use of if you decided to make an app that only supported that version and above?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:43 PM   #43
LagunaSol
Banned

It's nice to have a choice. Multiple choices, in fact. Now I can use my navigation apps in order of preference:

1) Waze for online navigation.
2) Navigon for offline navigation.
3) Apple Maps if I'm curious to see if Apple has improved things.
4) Google Maps as a last resort, or if I need transit directions. (The constant badgering to log in is annoying. Hmm, I wonder why Google wants to associate where I drive with my Gmail account?)
LagunaSol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:43 PM   #44
caligomez
macrumors regular

Daaaaamnnn! I would've never thought so many people were holding out..
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:44 PM   #45
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

The next iOS-related keynote should be very interesting. Apple has access to all the real data -- the number of times Google Maps has been installed and how many iOS 5 devices have been upgraded to iOS 6 in the past week.

I have to think Apple won't mention the word "maps" during a keynote again unless they've either come to an agreement with Google over data or they've found another solution for mapping data that is truly as good as Google's.

The good thing about the release of Google Maps is that it's now bought Apple some time in the eyes of users. They could likely go the entire year of 2013 without so much as uttering the word "maps" in a keynote. People who think Apple Maps is awesome can continue to use that and everybody else can use another solution.

Now, Apple just needs to let its users choose default apps for certain tasks and all will be right with the world for a while. With the Maps debacle, Apple has to realize that it can't keep users' hands tied when it comes to using a flagship feature of a newer iPhone (Siri) when they release a subpar product like Apple Maps. I'd love to keep using Siri to ask for directions, but I'm not going to use an inferior Apple Maps app just so I can have the convenience of using Siri.

EDIT: I realize now that if I ask Siri explicitly for "transit directions" to a location, it will pull up a list of navigation apps on my phone and I can tap the one I want to use. At least that's better than not being able to use other navigation apps in conjunction with Siri at all. I have to believe this is a precursor of Apple letting users decide which app to make the default. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by avanpelt; Dec 19, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
avanpelt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:47 PM   #46
skellener
macrumors 65816

Quote:
iOS 6 Adoption Up 29% After Google Maps Hits App Store
Apple has a loooooong way to go to earn users in the Services dept. They are terrible at it.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:49 PM   #47
gotluck
macrumors 68030

Be interesting to see this when/if the ios6 jailbreak comes out
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:49 PM   #48
autograf
macrumors newbie

Apple Maps

Haven't used it Internationally as those were the most glaring issues I'd seen with Apple Maps but in my area and on the few 100 mile and under trips I've taken since upgrading to IOS6, Apple Maps has been flawless. I've not yet downloaded the Google Maps App but intend to for comparison purposes. Apple Maps, as is, is better than my Garmin......
autograf is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:50 PM   #49
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post
Verizon is even higher. They won't issue a new smart phone plan under $100/month. It's hilarious how people tend to ignore the real price.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:51 PM   #50
theBB
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdrive View Post
Agreed 100%! Even when it comes to addresses, Apple Maps is very finicky. 123 Easy St 75623 would find an address in Google whereas Apple needs city, state, and precise address formulation..
As soon as I write 123 Easy St, Apple Maps offer me "123 Easy St, Nearby Town, My state" as an option. In general though, I agree, Apple Maps seem more picky about the search terms. I once got no "movie theaters" nearby (it found some that are much further away than I wanted) until I searched for "cinemas".
theBB is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion