Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
...and not only did they not have any stock, they had stopped reservations, and not only that, they stopped taking names to call people when they had more reservation spots. I was told it could be months. You are also unable to purchase only anymore. :(

I chose Best Buy because I don't need a Mini and was going to take advantage of the 0% on my card. I knew this would be quite popular this holiday but geez.

wytwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2012
My local best buy never took names. Its been first com first serve. The worst thing is the mini's usually come in on apple drop shipments and not on the usually weekly trucks. They couldn't give me a definite answer on when and how many the would be getting until the receive them.

AmyK

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
I ordered mine from the AT&T store (I wanted the $100 off deal) and they told me it could be 3 weeks... at the time I was fine with that, now it's driving me crazy and it hasn't been a week.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Bummer. But arent Minis having flickering video issues with the HDMI?
I'd have a hard time justifying one of those in light of that.

Hahahaha!! The 2012 Mac Mini was having some flickering issues that I had heard about, but I believe it has been resolved since then. But no such issus with the iPad Mini. Lol!

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I know some of you want to take advantage of various deals you have through retailers, but just fyi I ordered a mini over the weekend on Apple's website. Said 1 week until available for shipping, but it turns out I got it in three days. That might be the fastest way to get one.

studmule

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
I ordered mine from the AT&T store (I wanted the $100 off deal) and they told me it could be 3 weeks... at the time I was fine with that, now it's driving me crazy and it hasn't been a week.

I lucked out and happened into an AT&T store right after they got a couple 32 GB minis in stock. I got the 100 bucks off, and I get a discount on the data because I already get a discount on my iphone plan because of who I work for.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Keep checking out your local Best Buy's open box items...usually my stores get returned iPad Minis for about 7% to 15% off depending on your store. This may be your only chance from now until the holiday rush wears off. Plus, if there is any issue with it (ie. why it was returned in the first place) keep in mind Apple still honors the 1 year warranty on the device.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Keep checking out your local Best Buy's open box items...usually my stores get returned iPad Minis for about 7% to 15% off depending on your store. This may be your only chance from now until the holiday rush wears off. Plus, if there is any issue with it (ie. why it was returned in the first place) keep in mind Apple still honors the 1 year warranty on the device.

How do you check available open box items?

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
Couldn't find any, and I tried. Called every walmart, SAMs club, best buy, apple store, radio shack anywhere near me, I think I found an LTE 64 GB, but I wanted a white wifi 16 for my wife.

Ended up taking a chance, ordered it on apples website. Said it was scheduled to arrive the 26th, but it came today, the 19th. A full week early. This might be your best bet. They're also extending the 14 day return window, though I forget what day in early Jan is the cut off.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
...and not only did they not have any stock, they had stopped reservations, and not only that, they stopped taking names to call people when they had more reservation spots. I was told it could be months. You are also unable to purchase only anymore. :(

I chose Best Buy because I don't need a Mini and was going to take advantage of the 0% on my card. I knew this would be quite popular this holiday but geez.

did you go in looking for a base 16gb mini?

----------

How do you check available open box items?

go to http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat12090&type=page

and type in your zip and find your closest store. then there is a link off of that page to look at open box items/clearance

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
WOW, THANK YOU! Never knew you could do this either. Mine has a Black 32GB for $400. So tempting. Though I was set on a white for cosmetic longevity purposes... What to do, what to do.

Those open box items don't last long and Best Buy.com is not current when listing them...in other words there is a 90% chance that open box mini is not available at that store anymore and if it is, a 90% chance it won't still be there when you get there...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.