Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:06 PM   #1
Jakobben
macrumors newbie

iTunes bought music won't play on iPhone?

Hi,

I have some albums on my Macbook that I've bought through iTunes. These play fine on my Mac and used to play on my iPhone 4. But now some of the albums just don't work on the iPhone anymore. When I start a song the play/pause button changes to "pause" indicating that it is playing, but the playhead stays at 0:00 and no sound comes out.... I haven't tried re-syncing the phone to the mac as it is a new mac and the iPhone will loose all in-app data (I've tried multiple solutions to get it to sync without throwing the in-app data but nothing works - the old Mac which was used to sync the iPhone is no longer available to me).

I'm really bothered with the fact that the music I bought through iTunes has caused me so much trouble over the years in different ways, whereas the stuff I get from CD etc. has never given me any problems...!

Has anyone tried this? I'll probably end up just syncing with my new mac and erasing all my in-app data (mostly game saves as other stuff is synced via other services).

Regards,
Jakobben
Jakobben is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobben View Post
Hi,

I have some albums on my Macbook that I've bought through iTunes. These play fine on my Mac and used to play on my iPhone 4. But now some of the albums just don't work on the iPhone anymore. When I start a song the play/pause button changes to "pause" indicating that it is playing, but the playhead stays at 0:00 and no sound comes out.... I haven't tried re-syncing the phone to the mac as it is a new mac and the iPhone will loose all in-app data (I've tried multiple solutions to get it to sync without throwing the in-app data but nothing works - the old Mac which was used to sync the iPhone is no longer available to me).

I'm really bothered with the fact that the music I bought through iTunes has caused me so much trouble over the years in different ways, whereas the stuff I get from CD etc. has never given me any problems...!

Has anyone tried this? I'll probably end up just syncing with my new mac and erasing all my in-app data (mostly game saves as other stuff is synced via other services).

Regards,
Jakobben
2 Questions:

On your new mac, you didn't back up your old data and transfer? I'm specifically talking about iTunes here, it's quite possible and easy to pull the phone data so it reads on your new comp.

Do you have autosync set?
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Wafflausages
macrumors 6502

Have you tried authorizing your computer? Click on store>Authorize this computer
Wafflausages is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:39 PM   #4
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

Apple doesn't even SELL DRM-encrypted music anymore. Why don't they just have the next iTunes update remove all DRM from music in the library automatically? This would make a lot of sense and resolve a lot of issues that really shouldn't be issues anymore. :P
zorinlynx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:43 PM   #5
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafflausages View Post
Have you tried authorizing your computer? Click on store>Authorize this computer
Oh that's totally it, didn't even think of that one.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:07 PM   #6
Jakobben
macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks for your replies!

I have authorized the computer, yes ;-). I have a SuperDuper (and had a TimeMachine backup) of the old drive so everything is copied over in the exact same file structure. But every time I try to sync it says it will erase the content on the iPhone... I get by, but it was so much easier back when I could just plug in my phone and everything "just worked" (updated playlists, apps etc.).

I actually just got it working with manually syncing music alone (no apps) which hopefully works. I guess this should reapply the songs to my iPhone which should make it work again.

I totally agree with removing the DRM-stuff. It is the main reason for me hesitating to by anything on iTunes (or any other online store).

/Jakobben
Jakobben is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone