Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Soulstorm
macrumors 68000

Can I leave my mac on for many days with Anti-Theft software enabled?

I am preparing for a trip for two weeks, and I must leave my iMac in my house, so I am looking for anti-theft software solutions.

I am currently looking into Undercover. I have also looked at Prey, but I want undercover, since it's one time for many devices, and I have more than one mac. I also saw Witness, from orbicule which uses the Mac's camera to notify you if anything happens inside the room. However, I don't think that leaving my Mac with the camera open for two weeks is going to be good for the machine...

I am currently thinking if it's safe to leave my mac open with Witness enabled, so that I can know what's happening inside the house, and if anyone enters.

An alternative solution is to use iTeleport (which I currently own) to check if everything is OK by waking up the computer at periodic intervals (I have seen that iTeleport can do that, but I don't know if it will be able to wake up the computer every time).

Is there anyone who has any thoughts on which solution is best?
Soulstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:09 PM   #2
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulstorm View Post
I am preparing for a trip for two weeks, and I must leave my iMac in my house, so I am looking for anti-theft software solutions.

I am currently looking into Undercover. I have also looked at Prey, but I want undercover, since it's one time for many devices, and I have more than one mac. I also saw Witness, from orbicule which uses the Mac's camera to notify you if anything happens inside the room. However, I don't think that leaving my Mac with the camera open for two weeks is going to be good for the machine...

I am currently thinking if it's safe to leave my mac open with Witness enabled, so that I can know what's happening inside the house, and if anyone enters.

An alternative solution is to use iTeleport (which I currently own) to check if everything is OK by waking up the computer at periodic intervals (I have seen that iTeleport can do that, but I don't know if it will be able to wake up the computer every time).

Is there anyone who has any thoughts on which solution is best?
I do not know anything about the software... but there is no problem leaving your computer on 24/7. My 2009 iMac has been running non-stop for the past 3 years... except for maintenance.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Soulstorm
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynz4 View Post
I do not know anything about the software... but there is no problem leaving your computer on 24/7. My 2009 iMac has been running non-stop for the past 3 years... except for maintenance.

/Jim
Thanks. You have the camera on?
Soulstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:59 PM   #4
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulstorm View Post
Thanks. You have the camera on?
Oh... I didn't realize that is what you were asking. No, I do not keep my camera on. However, I'm not sure why it would make a difference.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store