Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:33 AM   #51
bjb.butler
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bjb.butler Send a message via Skype™ to bjb.butler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Ok, so all my friends and family I set up with GMail Exchange...I can just ignore all of that?

That's my biggest fear, having to re-do all the help I've given out over the years. Ugh, shoot me now if that's the case.
It seems as though all devices that are now set up to use AES will continue to work after the 30th. I think the trouble comes when setting up a new device. Google needs to be more clear on what will happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post

My wife and I currently rely on gmail EAS. If I need to add her a number or make changes to a family member's contact list, I go directly to the gmail contacts (online), make the changes
It will work the same if you set up gmail contacts and calendar sync with carddav and caldav.
bjb.butler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:53 AM   #52
Petronas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankHowdy View Post
How will I sync my contacts now?
CardDAV instructions.
http://support.google.com/mail/bin/a...answer=2753077
Petronas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:53 AM   #53
joshwithachance
macrumors 65816

I prefer to fetch my Gmail once an hour anyway, so I've been using the Gmail + CardDav set up for a bit now. It works pretty much exactly the same, save for push email.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:43 AM   #54
Steve121178
macrumors 68020

So how do I become a "paying" customer to ensure this continues to work?

Edit:

http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/ent...s/pricing.html

Not that expensive, but should I choose to buy any new iOS devices after January then I guess I'll need to pay, unless I move my e-mail to another provider.

Last edited by Steve121178; Dec 17, 2012 at 06:54 AM.
Steve121178 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:13 AM   #55
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
So how do I become a "paying" customer to ensure this continues to work?

Edit:

http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/ent...s/pricing.html

Not that expensive, but should I choose to buy any new iOS devices after January then I guess I'll need to pay, unless I move my e-mail to another provider.
While $50 isn't bad per year, I need to determine whether iCloud is worth it or not.. Changing e-mails is such a hastle
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:52 AM   #56
Steve121178
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by aDRock1154 View Post
While $50 isn't bad per year, I need to determine whether iCloud is worth it or not.. Changing e-mails is such a hastle
Far too unreliable. I'm sticking with Google. When EAS stops working then I will have to pay, unless someone comes up with a sensible solution/workaround.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:56 AM   #57
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
Far too unreliable. I'm sticking with Google. When EAS stops working then I will have to pay, unless someone comes up with a sensible solution/workaround.
I tried iCloud for a week or so, and got more frustrated with the web interface than the service.. Although, NOT getting push emails right away was bothersome.

If it's gotten better I wouldn't mind trying again.. I would much rather just stick with Google as i'm lazy and don't wanna change all my accounts (email addresses).
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:03 AM   #58
paul8
macrumors newbie

This sucks. I use Google calendar sync to sync my work Outlook exchange (MS Office Win7) account with my gmail calendar, which then syncs with my iPhone. This has worked great for me during the last 3 years--syncs both ways and I get calendar alerts on my iPhone. Not sure what I'm going to do now because you can no longer download google calendar sync to install on your PC. Might force me to move to outlook.com--I will miss gmail if I end up going this route.
paul8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:17 PM   #59
RayHollister
macrumors newbie

Angry Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Ok, so all my friends and family I set up with GMail Exchange...I can just ignore all of that?

That's my biggest fear, having to re-do all the help I've given out over the years. Ugh, shoot me now if that's the case.

But if that's not the case then, well, whatever.

I think this is a lame change, but it's not like Apple makes iCloud for Android so...yeah, how can I fault Google for starting to see things in a similar light?
I was just thinking the same thing. I just gave advice to everyone that listens to my show to setup their Gmail accounts on their iPads with Exchange. Well, at least the folks that listened to it won't have to change their settings, but we'd better tell folks in the next episode about this mess. Err. You suck Google!
RayHollister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:21 PM   #60
jredecop
macrumors 6502a

Thing that bugs me is App Store purchases. Can't transfer them over to iCloud account. Guess I can just keep the purchased apps on my gmail account on my phone and update them as it comes, may be weird, but that bugs me.
jredecop is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:20 AM   #61
Azzin
macrumors 68000

Question

I'm officially confused.

My Wife & I both use Google Apps for our email, calendar and contacts (it's the old (and no longer available) free Google Apps for Business that we have.

I don't use Outlook, as I use the Gmail web interface on my Mac for email and Calendar and that updates OTA with my iPad and iPhone (same for Contacts actually).

She however doesn't like the web interface and much prefers to use Outlook to manage her calendar and so she uses Google Sync to to push her Outlook calendar entries to her GMail (Google Apps) account).

As I understand it, although Google Sync has now been removed for download she will be able to continue to use it and will carry on being supported, but if she were to (for example) get a new laptop (or a new iPhone/iPad), she wouldn't be able to setup Google Sync-is that right?

So, if that is the case she's fine until she changes her laptop/iPhone/iPad, but when she does that what alternatives does she have to be able to use Outlook for her Calendar and have it sync'd to her Google Apps account?

Also, as I don't use Outlook, presumably I'm unaffected by these changes Google are making?

Cheers.
Azzin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:48 AM   #62
Beelzbub
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzin View Post
I'm officially confused.

My Wife & I both use Google Apps for our email, calendar and contacts (it's the old (and no longer available) free Google Apps for Business that we have.

I don't use Outlook, as I use the Gmail web interface on my Mac for email and Calendar and that updates OTA with my iPad and iPhone (same for Contacts actually).

She however doesn't like the web interface and much prefers to use Outlook to manage her calendar and so she uses Google Sync to to push her Outlook calendar entries to her GMail (Google Apps) account).

As I understand it, although Google Sync has now been removed for download she will be able to continue to use it and will carry on being supported, but if she were to (for example) get a new laptop (or a new iPhone/iPad), she wouldn't be able to setup Google Sync-is that right?

So, if that is the case she's fine until she changes her laptop/iPhone/iPad, but when she does that what alternatives does she have to be able to use Outlook for her Calendar and have it sync'd to her Google Apps account?

Also, as I don't use Outlook, presumably I'm unaffected by these changes Google are making?

Cheers.
That is the way I understand as well. I too have my domain name setup under Google Apps, which is no longer offered for free. And it is my understanding that for your now, you are fine, but if you decide to upgrade, your hosed.

So out of curiosity, I went to Outlook.com and discovered they also offer email for your domain, and for free. So I moved my domain over to them to try it out. I have everything I had before, including Exchange Active Sync, and I actually prefer the way Outlook.com looks. Also if you use Outlook as your mail client. You can download something called Microsoft Office Outlook Hotmail Connector, and it allows you to use Outlook and have everything in sync, calendar, contacts and email, if you delete an email from the iPhone, it shows it deleted in Outlook and so on. I don't know if that connector is available for the Mac, but it is for Windows, and it works great.

I have been playing around with it all week and I think I will leave my domain with Outlook.com. I am a huge Gmail fan, and always will be, but its nice to have alternatives to turn too, and Outlook.com is a good one in my opinion.
Beelzbub is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:10 AM   #63
Azzin
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzbub View Post
That is the way I understand as well. I too have my domain name setup under Google Apps, which is no longer offered for free. And it is my understanding that for your now, you are fine, but if you decide to upgrade, your hosed.

So out of curiosity, I went to Outlook.com and discovered they also offer email for your domain, and for free. So I moved my domain over to them to try it out. I have everything I had before, including Exchange Active Sync, and I actually prefer the way Outlook.com looks. Also if you use Outlook as your mail client. You can download something called Microsoft Office Outlook Hotmail Connector, and it allows you to use Outlook and have everything in sync, calendar, contacts and email, if you delete an email from the iPhone, it shows it deleted in Outlook and so on. I don't know if that connector is available for the Mac, but it is for Windows, and it works great.

I have been playing around with it all week and I think I will leave my domain with Outlook.com. I am a huge Gmail fan, and always will be, but its nice to have alternatives to turn too, and Outlook.com is a good one in my opinion.
Great info, thanks.

Neither of us have a website, we just use our email addresses.

She's on Windows, so this might be the way forward for her, as it's the Outlook for Calendar bit she wants.
Azzin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:43 AM   #64
Beelzbub
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzin View Post
Great info, thanks.

Neither of us have a website, we just use our email addresses.

She's on Windows, so this might be the way forward for her, as it's the Outlook for Calendar bit she wants.
Then it will work perfectly for her. I am the same way, no website, I just want email.

You can do everything you need to do here, https://domains.live.com/default.aspx, it will walk you through everything you need to do, like changing your MX records and so on.
Beelzbub is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:29 PM   #65
Azzin
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzbub View Post
Then it will work perfectly for her. I am the same way, no website, I just want email.

You can do everything you need to do here, https://domains.live.com/default.aspx, it will walk you through everything you need to do, like changing your MX records and so on.
Excellent, thank you.
Azzin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:41 PM   #66
whsbuss
macrumors 68000

Since I switched over to icloud and deleted the Gmail exchange from my iPhone battery life has improved by 35%.
whsbuss is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:38 PM   #67
HankHowdy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
Since I switched over to icloud and deleted the Gmail exchange from my iPhone battery life has improved by 35%.
Have you deleted your gmail account altogether? Or are you having the emails forwarding to icloud?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:23 PM   #68
whsbuss
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Have you deleted your gmail account altogether? Or are you having the emails forwarding to icloud?
Emails forwarded to iCloud. The only drawback is with iCloud mail sync for read/deleted/moved doesn't happen in real time like ActiveSync. But it definitely is instant delivery.
whsbuss is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:38 PM   #69
HankHowdy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
Emails forwarded to iCloud. The only drawback is with iCloud mail sync for read/deleted/moved doesn't happen in real time like ActiveSync. But it definitely is instant delivery.
But what about composing an email from your phone, won't it be sent from and icloud address? Personally I need to have my address show up as gmail.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:54 PM   #70
rmhop81
macrumors 68020

One thing still hasn't been mentioned....there is no way to invite someone for an event on caldav....that is huge for me.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:32 PM   #71
HankHowdy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhop81 View Post
One thing still hasn't been mentioned....there is no way to invite someone for an event on caldav....that is huge for me.
How do you even invite someone to an event in the native calendar app?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:58 PM   #72
Baggio
macrumors 6502

Getting mixed info on this. Mine is a business account. I take it won't affect me at all or it will affect me on future devices. My email domain is grandfathered on the free business accounts that I think they now charge $50 per year. The info doesn't seem to address these older free business accounts. It just says business accounts are not affected by this change.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:17 AM   #73
rmhop81
macrumors 68020

Quote:
How do you even invite someone to an event in the native calendar app?
There is a section right below repeat that says invitees. Has to be iCloud or exchange for it to show up. Using default gmail settings it doesn't work. Of the many articles I've read I have yet to see it mentioned....and to me it's huge as I use it daily.

http://thetechhead.com/2012/04/how-t...hone-and-ipad/

Last edited by rmhop81; Dec 22, 2012 at 12:24 AM.
rmhop81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:17 AM   #74
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816

Quote:
But what about composing an email from your phone, won't it be sent from and icloud address? Personally I need to have my address show up as gmail.
Yes, it will be sent from the iCloud address. The only way to get around this is to change all your accounts to iCloud and skip the whole mail forwarding

This is kind of a bummer because it takes time to change my email across the board for all my accounts on the internet..
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:37 AM   #75
Beelzbub
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggio View Post
Getting mixed info on this. Mine is a business account. I take it won't affect me at all or it will affect me on future devices. My email domain is grandfathered on the free business accounts that I think they now charge $50 per year. The info doesn't seem to address these older free business accounts. It just says business accounts are not affected by this change.
For now you are fine. But you will run into a problem when you go to upgrade your phone, you will either have to pay the $50 to continue using it like you are now, or use the gmail app, or think about moving your email to another provider, like I mentioned in a previous post.

For me I decided to test out Outlook.com before the change goes into affect since they offer the same thing.
Beelzbub is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone