Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sa1en

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
Ukraine
Hey all!

Today my Apple TV 3rd Gen got a new sick - suddenly it started to play content from everywhere (airplay itunes from iMac, MBA, iPhone, youtube from apple tv, airmirror from macs...) with intermittent of audio:

http://youtu.be/4kcmss_cH_o

Yes, I tried to use it with native TV speakers - same, I checked speakers with USB movie - everything fine. I restarted WIFI Router & Apple TV - problem still alive.

What should I do?! Im confused. Thanks.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
Have you tried using the optical audio from the aTV, to rule out a bad HDMI port or bad HDMI cable?

Sa1en

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
Ukraine
I checked another port - the same picture.
It may be the cable problem, but could it be? Working fine all time and "ba dum tsss!!!" - broke?

PS. Have not any system with optical audio inputs as well as optical audio cabel :)

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
I had an optical cable fail suddenly, resulting in audio drop-outs, but I haven't had an HDMI cable fail yet.

Sa1en

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
Ukraine
Okay, I replaced HDMI cable with good one - same.

But! I found the problem! It's in my LG TV. When its booting with external speakers which is connected via 3.5" for headset - sound is jumping. Heh, I dont know why (its only for HDMI input sound, from USB everything is fine, probably LG proggers not so smart as I though they are).

So, its bit annoying but what to do. Thanks everyone.

I'm missing my speakers, dont have place for good 5.1 system with optical audio and disappointed that apple tv does not have 3.5"...

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Okay, I replaced HDMI cable with good one - same.

But! I found the problem! It's in my LG TV. When its booting with external speakers which is connected via 3.5" for headset - sound is jumping. Heh, I dont know why (its only for HDMI input sound, from USB everything is fine, probably LG proggers not so smart as I though they are).

So, its bit annoying but what to do. Thanks everyone.

I'm missing my speakers, dont have place for good 5.1 system with optical audio and disappointed that apple tv does not have 3.5"...

What do you mean by 3.5".... what kind of connector, specifically?

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
3.5 mm jack I mean, sorry. Like usual in iMac, iPhone and so on.

I'm not sure I get your setup... what do you have hooked up to what and using which cables.

e.g. "Mac connected to speakers via 3.5mm phono, Mac connected to TV via HDMI, etc."

Sa1en

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
Ukraine
I'm not sure I get your setup... what do you have hooked up to what and using which cables.

e.g. "Mac connected to speakers via 3.5mm phono, Mac connected to TV via HDMI, etc."

Don't worry, problem is solved and it was related not with Apple device, but with LG TV.

If you interesting, setup is

iPhone (wireless) -> Router -> Apple TV (HDMI) -> LG TV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.