Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch > iPod touch Accessories

Old Jul 23, 2008, 03:32 PM   #26
David G.
macrumors 6502a

Yet another Etymotic fan. I have the er-6i headphones and they are fantastic in pretty much every way.
David G. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 03:53 PM   #27
PMB
macrumors 65816

Skullcandy ink'd cheap enough, and produce good sound
PMB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 05:48 PM   #28
Burch88
macrumors newbie

Exclamation Re: Best headphones for iPod Touch

Well, if you search in YouTube Radius Atomic Bass Review click on one of the reviews and you will see that everybody says that they are very good or better than a LOT of earphones. They are about $40-$50. And for the quality of them they are practically a steal.
Burch88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 08:01 PM   #29
Austin2048
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Austin2048 Send a message via MSN to Austin2048 Send a message via Yahoo to Austin2048
for me, i cant have a pair of headphone for longer that a month without them breaking. that stopped as soon as i got an iPod Touch. i love the standard iPod headphones, they are the best ones ive ever had
Old May 29, 2009, 08:03 PM   #30
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Has anyone tried these, I was thinking of getting a pair, just for the remote control feature:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...1&s=topSellers
Wicked1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 08:26 PM   #31
coachingguy
macrumors 6502

Ultimate Ears MetroFi 200v Noise Isolating Earphones w/ Microphone

I just picked these up from Amazon for $30 shipped (prime member) and they are awesome! Better than the new and improved Apple Canal earphones for $79... And they come with extra ear thingys

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

Just my .02

Coachingguy
Old May 30, 2009, 01:08 PM   #32
alphaod
macrumors Core

Also consider a portable amp and connecting the iPod to the amp using a dock connector cable.

Just a thought, but that won't be very portable.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:53 PM   #33
bjm2660
macrumors 6502

A true audiophile probably wouldn't consider the Digital to Analog Convertor (DAC) in the iPod Touch to be up to snuff. That said, to get the most out of whichever phones you choose, make sure your audio files are in as high quality a format as you can get away with. Do not settle for 128 kps under any circumstances
bjm2660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:05 PM   #34
Gofre
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm2660 View Post
A true audiophile probably wouldn't consider the Digital to Analog Convertor (DAC) in the iPod Touch to be up to snuff. That said, to get the most out of whichever phones you choose, make sure your audio files are in as high quality a format as you can get away with. Do not settle for 128 kps under any circumstances
I've used iPods of various stripes with my high end gear, including (in terms of portable headphones) the HD25-1 IIs and a pair of 400 customs. The Touch line do a decent enough job compared to other players of the same class of consumer-oriented players straight out of the headphone jack. Paired with an LOD and amp they do as good a job as some of the more budget-minded audiophile players like the Hisoundaudio range and the Hifiman HM601/602. There's certainly an audible difference when you compare iPods to really high end players like the Color fly C4, but with decent amping they can produce fantastic sound and even out of the jack produce decent sound if the head phone's aren't too power hungry. I personally prioritise components in the order of headphone>>amp>>file>>source when improving my different setups.
Gofre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:18 PM   #35
bjm2660
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofre View Post
I've used iPods of various stripes with my high end gear, including (in terms of portable headphones) the HD25-1 IIs and a pair of 400 customs. The Touch line do a decent enough job compared to other players of the same class of consumer-oriented players straight out of the headphone jack. Paired with an LOD and amp they do as good a job as some of the more budget-minded audiophile players like the Hisoundaudio range and the Hifiman HM601/602. There's certainly an audible difference when you compare iPods to really high end players like the Color fly C4, but with decent amping they can produce fantastic sound and even out of the jack produce decent sound if the head phone's aren't too power hungry. I personally prioritise components in the order of headphone>>amp>>file>>source when improving my different setups.
Your hierarchy makes good sense. I'll try to keep that in mind with my future purchases. I'm not an audiophile, or at least I can't afford to be one. I'm a musician/composer/music-lover with good ears, a small child, and a small budget; this often leads to dissatisfaction with what I'm hearing.
bjm2660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:25 PM   #36
rebort
macrumors newbie

this is not bad

I own the iKross one for few weeks. it works well.
rebort is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 08:34 PM   #37
MightyMouse3
macrumors newbie

Newby Here

I am a big music lover but am fed up with low quality earphones. I want to get a quality pair for under $200, preferably Etymotic. What stopped me was this- all I have is an Ipod touch 5g and my files are all mp3s. Will a pair of Etymotic earphones really pay off? The highest quality I have had so far is a pair of Sonys. Money sparse at the moment. I want to make sure this will be a worthwhile purchase.

Sub question: many people on the forum seem to own a pair of Etymotics. Does the company offer some sort of replacement or exchange program if they brake? Do they have good costumer service?

Thank you in advance.
MightyMouse3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 09:37 PM   #38
BrettApple
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse3 View Post
I am a big music lover but am fed up with low quality earphones. I want to get a quality pair for under $200, preferably Etymotic. What stopped me was this- all I have is an Ipod touch 5g and my files are all mp3s. Will a pair of Etymotic earphones really pay off? The highest quality I have had so far is a pair of Sonys. Money sparse at the moment. I want to make sure this will be a worthwhile purchase.

Sub question: many people on the forum seem to own a pair of Etymotics. Does the company offer some sort of replacement or exchange program if they brake? Do they have good costumer service?

Thank you in advance.
While I can't speak to Etymotics, I have used the Klipsch Image S4i's for over three years without issue and have loved them. They come with a two year warranty, and you can easily order a pack of tips if you happen to loose one. And they're oval shaped so they fit your ear much better than the perfectly round ones everyone else seems to use.

I got them for $99.99 back then. But they can be found for much cheaper online. Amazon has them, and the new version S4i (II) for a little over $50. They also have the R6.

They aren't terribly bass heavy, but will give a good kick when needed for sure. The mids are great and I can actually hear the singer over the guitars, and I cant say that for some other headphones I've used that were much more expensive. The highs are excellent, but occasionally a little too high, but that's usually at volumes higher than I should be listening to

For the price, it's worth trying out. I've used Best Buy in the past to help find the right pair for me since they have a simple 15 day return policy if you've got one nearby.

As to the iPod and your MP3's. The iPod should sound just fine, I've had the 4th gen touch, various iPhones, my iPod classic and just picked up a 5.5gen iPod to CF card mod with the *famous* Wolfson Dac. The difference is negligible. Where you notice the difference is with your headphones over anything, then the quality of the recording/file. If your MP3's are at around 256 KBPS, either CBR or VBR, they will sound just fine. I can start hearing compression around the 128k mark with MP3's, but less so with AAC.

I usually rip in Lossless, but for most uses, 256K AAC is perfectly fine, and there's likely no need to go redo your whole MP3 collection.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 08:42 PM   #39
joreeldiaz
macrumors newbie

I guess with the recent acquisition by Apple I think the Beats headphones makes it a top choice, well its just my opinion
joreeldiaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2014, 08:56 PM   #40
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

Does anyone have any tips for keeping earpods from slowly working their way out of my ears?

It's annoying; I love the way the earpods sound and perform for both music and talking, but if I so much as start walking, or even *chew food*, they work their way out and bass response goes away.
zorinlynx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 02:22 AM   #41
AndreaTa
macrumors regular

The Beats Pro is good.
AndreaTa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2014, 03:41 PM   #42
Shanghaichica
macrumors 6502a

I use beats solo HD.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch > iPod touch Accessories