Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch > iPod touch Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 23, 2008, 03:32 PM   #26
David G.
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Spokane, WA
Yet another Etymotic fan. I have the er-6i headphones and they are fantastic in pretty much every way.
David G. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 03:53 PM   #27
PMB
macrumors 65816
 
PMB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Skullcandy ink'd cheap enough, and produce good sound
__________________
Week 40 iPod touch,
Alienware Aurura, triboot, 7, Ubuntu, OSX.
Atom powered Server.
PMB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 05:48 PM   #28
Burch88
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Exclamation Re: Best headphones for iPod Touch

Well, if you search in YouTube Radius Atomic Bass Review click on one of the reviews and you will see that everybody says that they are very good or better than a LOT of earphones. They are about $40-$50. And for the quality of them they are practically a steal.
Burch88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 08:01 PM   #29
Austin2048
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Holmes, Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Austin2048 Send a message via MSN to Austin2048 Send a message via Yahoo to Austin2048
for me, i cant have a pair of headphone for longer that a month without them breaking. that stopped as soon as i got an iPod Touch. i love the standard iPod headphones, they are the best ones ive ever had
__________________
4 Gigabyte Third Generation iPod Shuffle; Black HTC MyTouch 3G Slide, Android 2.1 =]
Austin2048 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 08:03 PM   #30
Wicked1
macrumors 68040
 
Wicked1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey
Has anyone tried these, I was thinking of getting a pair, just for the remote control feature:


http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...1&s=topSellers
Wicked1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 08:26 PM   #31
coachingguy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Great White, Albeit Frozen North
Ultimate Ears MetroFi 200v Noise Isolating Earphones w/ Microphone

I just picked these up from Amazon for $30 shipped (prime member) and they are awesome! Better than the new and improved Apple Canal earphones for $79... And they come with extra ear thingys

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

Just my .02

Coachingguy
__________________
iPhone 5 "Vader", i5 MBP 15", MBA 11' i5, iPad, iPad 2, MBP 2.5, , 32 gig Wifi iPad & iPad 2, Canon 50D
The future is determined by the decisions made today.
coachingguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 01:08 PM   #32
alphaod
macrumors Core
 
alphaod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 上海 (Shanghai)
Also consider a portable amp and connecting the iPod to the amp using a dock connector cable.

Just a thought, but that won't be very portable.
__________________
Mac Pro | iMac | Mac mini | MacBook Pro | MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod
alphaod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:53 PM   #33
bjm2660
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Virginia
A true audiophile probably wouldn't consider the Digital to Analog Convertor (DAC) in the iPod Touch to be up to snuff. That said, to get the most out of whichever phones you choose, make sure your audio files are in as high quality a format as you can get away with. Do not settle for 128 kps under any circumstances
bjm2660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:05 PM   #34
Gofre
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm2660 View Post
A true audiophile probably wouldn't consider the Digital to Analog Convertor (DAC) in the iPod Touch to be up to snuff. That said, to get the most out of whichever phones you choose, make sure your audio files are in as high quality a format as you can get away with. Do not settle for 128 kps under any circumstances
I've used iPods of various stripes with my high end gear, including (in terms of portable headphones) the HD25-1 IIs and a pair of 400 customs. The Touch line do a decent enough job compared to other players of the same class of consumer-oriented players straight out of the headphone jack. Paired with an LOD and amp they do as good a job as some of the more budget-minded audiophile players like the Hisoundaudio range and the Hifiman HM601/602. There's certainly an audible difference when you compare iPods to really high end players like the Color fly C4, but with decent amping they can produce fantastic sound and even out of the jack produce decent sound if the head phone's aren't too power hungry. I personally prioritise components in the order of headphone>>amp>>file>>source when improving my different setups.
Gofre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:18 PM   #35
bjm2660
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofre View Post
I've used iPods of various stripes with my high end gear, including (in terms of portable headphones) the HD25-1 IIs and a pair of 400 customs. The Touch line do a decent enough job compared to other players of the same class of consumer-oriented players straight out of the headphone jack. Paired with an LOD and amp they do as good a job as some of the more budget-minded audiophile players like the Hisoundaudio range and the Hifiman HM601/602. There's certainly an audible difference when you compare iPods to really high end players like the Color fly C4, but with decent amping they can produce fantastic sound and even out of the jack produce decent sound if the head phone's aren't too power hungry. I personally prioritise components in the order of headphone>>amp>>file>>source when improving my different setups.
Your hierarchy makes good sense. I'll try to keep that in mind with my future purchases. I'm not an audiophile, or at least I can't afford to be one. I'm a musician/composer/music-lover with good ears, a small child, and a small budget; this often leads to dissatisfaction with what I'm hearing.
bjm2660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:25 PM   #36
rebort
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
this is not bad

I own the iKross one for few weeks. it works well.
rebort is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 08:34 PM   #37
MightyMouse3
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Newby Here

I am a big music lover but am fed up with low quality earphones. I want to get a quality pair for under $200, preferably Etymotic. What stopped me was this- all I have is an Ipod touch 5g and my files are all mp3s. Will a pair of Etymotic earphones really pay off? The highest quality I have had so far is a pair of Sonys. Money sparse at the moment. I want to make sure this will be a worthwhile purchase.

Sub question: many people on the forum seem to own a pair of Etymotics. Does the company offer some sort of replacement or exchange program if they brake? Do they have good costumer service?

Thank you in advance.
MightyMouse3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 09:37 PM   #38
BrettApple
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The midwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse3 View Post
I am a big music lover but am fed up with low quality earphones. I want to get a quality pair for under $200, preferably Etymotic. What stopped me was this- all I have is an Ipod touch 5g and my files are all mp3s. Will a pair of Etymotic earphones really pay off? The highest quality I have had so far is a pair of Sonys. Money sparse at the moment. I want to make sure this will be a worthwhile purchase.

Sub question: many people on the forum seem to own a pair of Etymotics. Does the company offer some sort of replacement or exchange program if they brake? Do they have good costumer service?

Thank you in advance.
While I can't speak to Etymotics, I have used the Klipsch Image S4i's for over three years without issue and have loved them. They come with a two year warranty, and you can easily order a pack of tips if you happen to loose one. And they're oval shaped so they fit your ear much better than the perfectly round ones everyone else seems to use.

I got them for $99.99 back then. But they can be found for much cheaper online. Amazon has them, and the new version S4i (II) for a little over $50. They also have the R6.

They aren't terribly bass heavy, but will give a good kick when needed for sure. The mids are great and I can actually hear the singer over the guitars, and I cant say that for some other headphones I've used that were much more expensive. The highs are excellent, but occasionally a little too high, but that's usually at volumes higher than I should be listening to

For the price, it's worth trying out. I've used Best Buy in the past to help find the right pair for me since they have a simple 15 day return policy if you've got one nearby.

As to the iPod and your MP3's. The iPod should sound just fine, I've had the 4th gen touch, various iPhones, my iPod classic and just picked up a 5.5gen iPod to CF card mod with the *famous* Wolfson Dac. The difference is negligible. Where you notice the difference is with your headphones over anything, then the quality of the recording/file. If your MP3's are at around 256 KBPS, either CBR or VBR, they will sound just fine. I can start hearing compression around the 128k mark with MP3's, but less so with AAC.

I usually rip in Lossless, but for most uses, 256K AAC is perfectly fine, and there's likely no need to go redo your whole MP3 collection.
__________________
13" rMBP 8/256 ; Mid 2010 15" MacBook Pro (Primary); Early 2008 "BlackBook"; iPhone 5c; iPod Classic; '09 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
BrettApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2014, 08:42 PM   #39
joreeldiaz
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: USA
I guess with the recent acquisition by Apple I think the Beats headphones makes it a top choice, well its just my opinion
joreeldiaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2014, 08:56 PM   #40
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020
 
zorinlynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida, USA
Does anyone have any tips for keeping earpods from slowly working their way out of my ears?

It's annoying; I love the way the earpods sound and perform for both music and talking, but if I so much as start walking, or even *chew food*, they work their way out and bass response goes away.
__________________
Old-school Apple ][ expert! Ask me if you have a ][ question!
Apple user 1983-1992, 2003-Present -- Linux user 1995-Present
Windows-free since 2003! Though I still have to deal with it at work.
zorinlynx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2014, 02:22 AM   #41
AndreaTa
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
The Beats Pro is good.
AndreaTa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2014, 03:41 PM   #42
Shanghaichica
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: UK
I use beats solo HD.
__________________
iPad Air 32 GB, iPod touch 5th gen, Apple TV 3rd Gen, Samsung Galaxy S5, chromecast.
Shanghaichica is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch > iPod touch Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPod Shuffle headphones FuccDiss iPod 3 Dec 29, 2013 01:05 PM
Great iPod compatible sports headphones PaulSpr iPod 0 Sep 27, 2013 02:25 AM
Repairing apple iPod headphones bkribbs Mac Peripherals 0 Jun 21, 2013 03:54 PM
iPod and MP3 can't hold headphones Dohjo iPod touch 4 Mar 4, 2013 09:06 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC