Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I agree. The default one is bad, and if you just use gmail the gmail app is great....but things like yahoo mail are terrible and who really wants multiple mail apps.

You don't have to use multiple apps at all. I use the default email app for gmail and my hotmail accounts and they are all set for push notifications.

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
But we are saying the default android email client sucks.

Yeah I know, that's what I'm talking about. I use the default one for all of my accounts and it's just fine. But it's really easy to switch even if you don't like that one

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
iPhone is boring because it does everything I need.... WITHOUT me having to mess around first. Android is amazing because I need to spend some much time mucking around and it still doesn't function nearly as smoothly and consistently as iOS. It's got more features but quality not quantity is what counts. And iOS has more apps (even by raw number and if we narrow down which ones are not malware and other crap, the gap gets bigger) and better quality apps. The fact that it takes so damn long to get updates (without user intervention aka rooting) amazes me. The fact that most if not not all of the current hardware out right now can BARELY edge out the 1 year old iPhone 4S amazes me. So yes, Android is amazing.

I'd only recommend Android to people who work for their phone and not the other way around. But hey, some people like it and they enjoy spending time customizing their phone and other Android-specific stuff.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Not just the iPhone but iOS as well.

I bought it and really wanted to like it but after two weeks I put it up for sale.

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
iPhone is boring

Correct.

So yes, Android is amazing.

Oh, it's getting there.

Left out all the other crap since it obviously doesn't apply to the Note 2 or Jelly Bean. As far as the ole 'iOS has more apps' standby, that argument gets more and more irrelevant by the day.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
iPhone is boring because it does everything I need.... WITHOUT me having to mess around first. Android is amazing because I need to spend some much time mucking around and it still doesn't function nearly as smoothly and consistently as iOS.

Android has more out-of-the-box-ready-to-use functions than iphone. And you don't need to "mess arround" with it if you don't want to. In fact it is much less messy to setup than Iphone. In Android, all I need to do is keyin your google account and everything is setup (email, PIMS, IMs, music etc).

On the other hand for practicality purpose, you still need to dedicate and setup a PC with Itunes and sync/transfer data to iphone. There are so many idiosyncrasies with iphone that first time user to platform have to watch out e.g.
- plug the phone to different itunes a/c will wipe the phone
- you need itunes to get your data in/out of phone
- reformat the master itunes PC and you are in trouble.
(you need to have some knowledge to know above points and work with/around it ==> so iphone fans rallying point that iphone is easier than Android is so FALSE :p )

It's got more features but quality not quantity is what counts. And iOS has more apps (even by raw number and if we narrow down which ones are not malware and other crap, the gap gets bigger) and better quality apps. The fact that it takes so damn long to get updates (without user intervention aka rooting) amazes me. The fact that most if not not all of the current hardware out right now can BARELY edge out the 1 year old iPhone 4S amazes me. So yes, Android is amazing.

There are many equivalent apps that are much better on Android than iOS (esp google apps). And there are a whole segment of advanced system/automation apps which are available in Android but will NEVER be available for iOS ever.

3rd party apps in Android are much better integrated to the entire OS compared to iOS. For iOS, 3rd party apps are just out-of-sight orphan to the operating system. You can only run 3rd party app in its own silo. You cannot have 3rd party apps inter-operate with one another or the underlying OS. This point alone makes Android apps more useful than iOS.

The UI of iOS apps is just visually not efficient with a lot of screen space wasted on soft command/navigation buttons. Useful information viewing area is limited. No such issue with Android where your screen is not cluttered with non-essential elements.

I'd only recommend Android to people who work for their phone and not the other way around. But hey, some people like it and they enjoy spending time customizing their phone and other Android-specific stuff.

Like I said customization is an option. You can use Android out of the box and it still beats iphone in terms of usability and functionality.

Last edited:

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Android has more out-of-the-box-ready-to-use functions than iphone. And you don't need to "mess arround" with it if you don't want to. In fact it is much less messy to setup than Iphone. In Android, all I need to do is keyin your google account and everything is setup (email, PIMS, IMs, music etc).

On the other hand for practicality purpose, you still need to dedicate and setup a PC with Itunes and sync/transfer data to iphone. There are so many idiosyncrasies with iphone that first time user to platform have to watch out e.g.
(you need to have some knowledge to know above points and work with/around it ==> so iphone fans rallying point that iphone is easier than Android is so FALSE :p )

False, you can set it up as manual sync. Therefore, you don't need to tie the iPhone to a specific computer/iTunes account. I just helped a friend set up her new iPhone 5 this way today. Plugging an iPhone into a different computer/iTunes account does not wipe the phone. There's an option if you choose to do that if the iPhone is set up as auto sync. If not, you can still wipe the phone I guess. But the action of plugging it in does not wipe anything off anywhere. You don't need iTunes to get data in/out of an iPhone. iTunes is just ONE way not the ONLY way. If I reformat my computer right now, I am not in trouble. When I reinstall iTunes (or not, you don't NEED iTunes) I can just plug in my iPhone and change to manual sync. No data loss. Most of your points were valid, keyword being were. It's past tense. I remember that once upon a time, you couldn't set up an Android phone without a data connection present. That was a T-Mobile G1 that I had before I got my iPhone.

There are many equivalent apps that are much better on Android than iOS (esp google apps). And there are a whole segment of advanced system/automation apps which are available in Android but will NEVER be available for iOS ever.

Not really. Some people have been saying the Gmail app is better on iOS or the Maps app. Either is terrible compared to stock Apple Maps and Mail. While Apple Maps is behind Google Maps in terms of their respective data set, reports of it being universally terrible are exaggerated. My parents just came back from a road trip and they used Apple Maps. They tried using an Android phone with Google Maps before. And a standalone TomTom GPS. They said Apple Maps was the quickest, easiest and most correct. Although, Google does have a more expansive data set. For every app that you think is superior on Android, I can name at least 10 more that are twice as superior on iOS. Android just can't beat iOS in terms of quality. When you rank curated against free-for-all, curated will turn out better results. Name me one example of malware (on non-jailbroken devices) and I can name a dozen more on Android.

3rd party apps in Android are much better integrated to the entire OS compared to iOS. For iOS, 3rd party apps are just out-of-sight orphan to the operating system. You can only run 3rd party app in its own silo. You cannot have 3rd party apps inter-operate with one another or the underlying OS. This point alone makes Android apps more useful than iOS.

This part is true. But most apps don't need tight integration with the OS to function. Games for example, don't need access to the file system. Android's tight integration is both a blessing and a curse. The more you expose, the less security you face. But for the most part, I do like this feature of Android a lot. Integration alone doesn't make an app useful because not every app needs it. I'd say games are better on iOS in terms of quality, performance (think of all the Android device hardware profiles out there), graphics, etc. iOS makes up for this in part by leveraging the iCloud platform. SoundHound for example stores all the saved song tags in iCloud and can automatically be set to push these tags to devices that you've enabled this feature. Same goes for Pages, Numbers and Keynote. These 3 apps have no equivalent on Android. They just work much better. QuickOffice is great on Android but iOS version exists too.

The UI of iOS apps is just visually not efficient with a lot of screen space wasted on soft command/navigation buttons. Useful information viewing area is limited. No such issue with Android where your screen is not cluttered with non-essential elements.

Yet Android has soft buttons. And NOT ALL apps have the UI bar. Some do, others don't. Some even have custom UIs that will automatically make the UI bar disappear. Android has soft buttons that you can't get rid of. And if you do, then how do you get back to home? Or launch another app? Or bring up your multitasking tray? Or initiate a Google search?Or go back? These are core Android functions that used to be physical buttons.

Like I said customization is an option. You can use Android out of the box and it still beats iphone in terms of usability and functionality.

Functionality, maybe. Usability, no. Remember iOS has a much stronger, more cohesive and curated ecosystem. Android does have more flexibility and top-down integration. As far as usability, iOS has a consistent UI whereas Android does not. Speaking from a developer's point of view, it is much easier to write an iOS app than Android. Especially for tablets. iPhone apps can share the same source code but different UI implementation. This is hard to do on Android. In this point I am adamant. In terms of ease of use and usability, iOS wins. In functionality, Android has the edge due to a deeper level of integration with the OS and flexible Linux kernel.

Reply in red.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
different strokes for different folks I guess. Jw what didn't you like about k9? It's one of the best ones I've used

It just seemed really outdated to me, and I hated the looks of it. I know that may seem silly, but I just didn't even like to open the app for the way it looked =/

It became irrelevant b.c I ended up switching everything over to gmail so I could just use that app. Random, but did you know that yahoo charges you $20 a year to forward your email to another provider? I use to use my old yahoo account as a junk mail and was just going to forward it to my gmail.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Reply in red.
False, you can set it up as manual sync. Therefore, you don't need to tie the iPhone to a specific computer/iTunes account. I just helped a friend set up her new iPhone 5 this way today. Plugging an iPhone into a different computer/iTunes account does not wipe the phone. There's an option if you choose to do that if the iPhone is set up as auto sync. If not, you can still wipe the phone I guess. But the action of plugging it in does not wipe anything off anywhere. You don't need iTunes to get data in/out of an iPhone. iTunes is just ONE way not the ONLY way. If I reformat my computer right now, I am not in trouble. When I reinstall iTunes (or not, you don't NEED iTunes) I can just plug in my iPhone and change to manual sync. No data loss. Most of your points were valid, keyword being were. It's past tense. I remember that once upon a time, you couldn't set up an Android phone without a data connection present. That was a T-Mobile G1 that I had before I got my iPhone.

Well, that's a long explanation. In other words, it is confusing and messy to setup Iphone as well. You still need some know-how. So how is it different from Android? I think Android is much more straight forward esp with accounts. I can add multiple a/c to the phone and selectively pick what data (email, PIM, etc) from which a/c to sync to phone.

Not really. Some people have been saying the Gmail app is better on iOS or the Maps app. Either is terrible compared to stock Apple Maps and Mail. While Apple Maps is behind Google Maps in terms of their respective data set, reports of it being universally terrible are exaggerated. My parents just came back from a road trip and they used Apple Maps. They tried using an Android phone with Google Maps before. And a standalone TomTom GPS. They said Apple Maps was the quickest, easiest and most correct. Although, Google does have a more expansive data set. For every app that you think is superior on Android, I can name at least 10 more that are twice as superior on iOS. Android just can't beat iOS in terms of quality. When you rank curated against free-for-all, curated will turn out better results. Name me one example of malware (on non-jailbroken devices) and I can name a dozen more on Android.

iOS Email is notoriously limited wrt to attach/detach files. UI is also not friendly if you want to manage multiple inbox separately. And message threading is not up to par compared to say gmail in Android.

I can broadly name apps (available for both platforms) that work better in Android:-
- news/rss, podcast, IMs, social apps etc - Android versions have automatic background sync/download. In iOS version, you need to open the app before data is refresh/download.
- cloud storages apps : Android version you can activate the app to share data from anywhere in the OS. For iOS, not possible or requires tedious workaround.

Yet Android has soft buttons. And NOT ALL apps have the UI bar. Some do, others don't. Some even have custom UIs that will automatically make the UI bar disappear. Android has soft buttons that you can't get rid of. And if you do, then how do you get back to home? Or launch another app? Or bring up your multitasking tray? Or initiate a Google search?Or go back? These are core Android functions that used to be physical buttons.

Fact is that iOS has no menu or back button. Somehow these command/nav buttons have to be shown on screen thus wasting screen area. If an Android app is designed properly (i.e. not transplanted directly from iOS) then the app can make full use of screen area. And don't forget most Android devices have physical buttons for menu and back which does not take up screen space at all.

Functionality, maybe. Usability, no. Remember iOS has a much stronger, more cohesive and curated ecosystem. Android does have more flexibility and top-down integration. As far as usability, iOS has a consistent UI whereas Android does not. Speaking from a developer's point of view, it is much easier to write an iOS app than Android. Especially for tablets. iPhone apps can share the same source code but different UI implementation. This is hard to do on Android. In this point I am adamant. In terms of ease of use and usability, iOS wins. In functionality, Android has the edge due to a deeper level of integration with the OS and flexible Linux kernel.

Consistent UI - Really?

1. Edit/Delete/Other Action/Settings.
iOS
- To edit item, tap the small arrow on the right of list item
- To delete, swipe on item to call-out delete
- For other options use the slide-up menu/buttons
- To change app settings, exit app, go to Settings to change and then re-enter app again.

Android
- Long press on an item for popup menu and then select "edit" or "delete" or other options or "settings" from the menu

2. Main app->open secondary app (e.g. email->open link/file, browser->view pdf etc). To navigating back to main app
iOS
- Tap Home / Double-tap Home
- Look for the main app icon
- Tap main app icon

Android
- Tap back button

Note: this is only for secondary app. If you open another app from secondary and so on, it can really be a complete confusion to backtrack in iOS.

Last edited:

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Well, that's a long explanation. In other words, it is confusing and messy to setup Iphone as well. You still need some know-how. So how is it different from Android? I think Android is much more straight forward esp with accounts. I can add multiple a/c to the phone and selectively pick what data (email, PIM, etc) from which a/c to sync to phone.

It's not long and it's not an explanation. iOS is the same with accounts. For Facebook and Twitter and Sina Weibo, I just log in and that's it.

iOS Email is notoriously limited wrt to attach/detach files. UI is also not friendly if you want to manage multiple inbox separately. And message threading is not up to par compared to say gmail in Android.

UI does take lots of back and forth I agree. But most people don't use that many. The number of taps required is almost the same. You aren't saving much time on Android, if any at all.

I can broadly name apps (available for both platforms) that work better in Android:-
- news/rss, podcast, IMs, social apps etc - Android versions have automatic background sync/download. In iOS version, you need to open the app before data is refresh/download.
- cloud storages apps : Android version you can activate the app to share data from anywhere in the OS. For iOS, not possible or requires tedious workaround.

Many things not true. First, podcasts do download automatically if you choose that option. Most people wouldn't want anything to be able to download/upload with little to no control. Myself included. Android apps have differing levels of transparency regarding automatically downloading or uploading. Some will suck your data plan dry without you knowing it, others are much better. On iOS, it's the same for every single app.

Fact is that iOS has no menu or back button. Somehow these command/nav buttons have to be shown on screen thus wasting screen area. If an Android app is designed properly (i.e. not transplanted directly from iOS) then the app can make full use of screen area. And don't forget most Android devices have physical buttons for menu and back which does not take up screen space at all.

iOS (the software) does. iDevice (the hardware) does not. Do not mix the two. Your core assumption is that Android apps are designed properly. This is very far from reality. Also, those four soft buttons on the bottom DO NOT disappear. I have no idea what fork of Android you refer to but I refer to vanilla Android. Most Android devices today DO NOT have physical buttons unless it's a low tier device, older model, etc. New models do not have the 4 buttons anymore.

Consistent UI - Really?

1. Edit/Delete/Other Action/Settings.
iOS
- To edit item, tap the small arrow on the right of list item
- To delete, swipe on item to call-out delete
- For other options use the slide-up menu/buttons
- To change app settings, exit app, go to Settings to change and then re-enter app again.

Android
- Long press on an item for popup menu and then select "edit" or "delete" or other options or "settings" from the menu

2. Main app->open secondary app (e.g. email->open link/file, browser->view pdf etc). To navigating back to main app
iOS
- Tap Home / Double-tap Home
- Look for the main app icon
- Tap main app icon

Android
- Tap back button

Note: this is only for secondary app. If you open another app from secondary and so on, it can really be a complete confusion to backtrack in iOS.

iOS is far more consistent in UI than Android. Here's a link:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/09/18/ux-things-i-hate-about-android/

Reply in red.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I really really want to get a note 2. I'm just not sure if its a big enough upgrade from the s3 I have.

Besides the screen size which makes the GS3 feel on the small side, there is not much of a difference to justify upgrading. The stock Touchwiz OS is exactly the same with just a few specific features added on. If I didn't already have the GS3, I would choose the Note 2 over the GS3. The S-pen is nice and fun to play with, but I wouldn't probably use it much. Also the screen on the Note 2 is noticably brighter than the GS3. One handed operation on the GS3 is doable, but on the Note 2 it's a struggle even when using the one handed keyboard option. The battery life on the Note 2 is extremely good compared to most other devices.

For some people the screen size alone is worth it. It definitely had me tempted to sell my GS3. But I'm going to wait it out for the GS4 or other upcoming models. I will be sticking with Samsung.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD

This is false. When I get a new ios device all I have to do is pick some language/location preferences and type in my icloud name/password. Everything is then restored for me. Some accounts may ask for passwords again as I use them the first time, but the account names are all there.

No computer needed.

LS3 Machine

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
Note II

After about 1 month with a Note II, I must say it is far better than the Iphone. I came from an Iphone 4S, which is a great phone. The multi-talking, screen size, battery life, customize-ability (I made a new word!), and the fact that it is rooted from the factory makes it a much better choice for me. I have an ipad 4 for reading, and internet and other things, but its awesome to actually watch a beautiful movie on my phone (there was a post about not being able to put a copy of your movie on your Note II, completely false). I just drag and drop my movies to my Note II. No itunes needed!

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
I have heard good things about the Note 2, but to quote the ninja turles "I've said it before, and I'll say it again".....if you truly are invested in the eco-system there is no replacement comparable. I could not replace my iphone with any other phone and do what I do. Granted I could use an ipad to do most of it, but I don't have that with me outside of the house.

I don't buy into that ecosystem nonsense. It's like bumper sticker tech talk or something.

Agreed. It might not be as seamless but you can still get things to work. I've done it on Android phones/tablet and I just started doing it with my new Windows Phone 8 HTC 8X.

(previous iPhone owner, current Mac owner)

Same here ... Granted - I bought a lot of apps for iPhone and iPad but switched to the S3 (and now Note 2) myself. First of all - a LOT of apps on Android are actually free, but cost for iPhone ... With a wee change of the hostfile you can even get rid of the ads ...

Music - as of 2009 they don't have DRM - I found exactly 10 albums with DRM - 2 of which I could easily "fix" and the other 8 were from an old account I have no idea about any more - so those are a lost cause anyway. Gigs and Gigs of music - could easily be copy / pasted onto my S3 / N2 and works (although album art seems to be "out" for some reasno).

Movies - Gosh how many hours did I sit there and converted downloaded .. I mean converterd / ripped .. movies from MKV to frikin mp4s so my iPad can read them ... Android can play them all ... in fact ... you can download / ftp movies straight onto the phone .. no computer needed at all .. Try that with an iPhone ...

Besides - go through your itunes library and check how many apps you are actually still using which could be a deal breaker when moving to Android.Now I did have a few apps I wanted / needed on Android too after switching and all in all I paid around $30 to get them all on Android (before I knew some "lite" versions have only ads as a difference which can be removed) .. I even discovered that some expensive apps are now free on both - iPhone or Android ...

So yea - long story short - I call BS on that ... Don't get me wrong, I don't want to convert anyone to either, I couldn't care less as I only care about myself really. But it is VERY clear who is fanboy here :)

Thanks for the great answers.

How easy is it to play .avi and .mkv files on the Note II?

Easy - I download MKV files straight to the device and play them. I do use "MX Player" though - simply for one feature essential for phones like the S3 : LOCK THE DAMN SCREEN. So when you hold the phone the "back" touch screen buttons etc. get disabled....

That is the only annoying thing on those devices - thsoe screen buttons - I wish you could have a swtich on the side (like the ipad for screen rotation / volume) which you can use to disable those touch sensitive buttons.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
Same here ... Granted - I bought a lot of apps for iPhone and iPad but switched to the S3 (and now Note 2) myself. First of all - a LOT of apps on Android are actually free, but cost for iPhone ... With a wee change of the hostfile you can even get rid of the ads ...

Music - as of 2009 they don't have DRM - I found exactly 10 albums with DRM - 2 of which I could easily "fix" and the other 8 were from an old account I have no idea about any more - so those are a lost cause anyway. Gigs and Gigs of music - could easily be copy / pasted onto my S3 / N2 and works (although album art seems to be "out" for some reasno).

Movies - Gosh how many hours did I sit there and converted downloaded .. I mean converterd / ripped .. movies from MKV to frikin mp4s so my iPad can read them ... Android can play them all ... in fact ... you can download / ftp movies straight onto the phone .. no computer needed at all .. Try that with an iPhone ...

Besides - go through your itunes library and check how many apps you are actually still using which could be a deal breaker when moving to Android.Now I did have a few apps I wanted / needed on Android too after switching and all in all I paid around $30 to get them all on Android (before I knew some "lite" versions have only ads as a difference which can be removed) .. I even discovered that some expensive apps are now free on both - iPhone or Android ...

So yea - long story short - I call BS on that ... Don't get me wrong, I don't want to convert anyone to either, I couldn't care less as I only care about myself really. But it is VERY clear who is fanboy here :)

Easy - I download MKV files straight to the device and play them. I do use "MX Player" though - simply for one feature essential for phones like the S3 : LOCK THE DAMN SCREEN. So when you hold the phone the "back" touch screen buttons etc. get disabled....

That is the only annoying thing on those devices - thsoe screen buttons - I wish you could have a swtich on the side (like the ipad for screen rotation / volume) which you can use to disable those touch sensitive buttons.

Hit the power button when playing the movie in the stock video player

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
This is false. When I get a new ios device all I have to do is pick some language/location preferences and type in my icloud name/password. Everything is then restored for me. Some accounts may ask for passwords again as I use them the first time, but the account names are all there.

No computer needed.
What he wrote was not false. iTunes is still needed to transfer data to apps. Either that or deal with a kludgy web server interface. Or load the same data from a cloud service for each and every app with which you might need to use it. Then hope Apple supports your choice in cloud storage. Hope it is drop box if not iCloud.

And if you have the standard 5GB of iCloud storage, which is shared amongst all iOS devices on the account, have fun getting it all back. If you take even a small number of pics and video there will simply be no room on iCloud to backup unless you purchase more space. My 4S lasted about a month before I had to start turning off things to backup (and camera roll was the first to go).

So you know how I have to do a full backup on my iPhone and iPad? Yep, with iTunes--manual backup. iTunes is still needed.

Michael

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
What he wrote was not false. iTunes is still needed to transfer data to apps. Either that or deal with a kludgy web server interface. Or load the same data from a cloud service for each and every app with which you might need to use it. Then hope Apple supports your choice in cloud storage. Hope it is drop box if not iCloud.
Michael

It is false. I have moved to 4 different ipads in the last year and not one of them needed the computer. My documents and app data is still there. I still have my music. etc. Just because your backups take more storage than you are willing to pay for is not apple's fault. I'm sure google isn't giving limitless storage either.

For these points specifically:
plug the phone to different itunes a/c will wipe the phone
False, I plug my iphone into my wifes computer to charge all the time.

False, I move data into and out of apps all the time over web. (ie, move a pdf from the web into ibooks, more a document from email into pages, take a document from pages and print or email, etc.)

False, I upgraded from a Macbook Air to Macbook Pro this year and I had no issues.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.