Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dynalmadman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Vegas, baby!
Just picked up an open box iPad 4, wifi only, 32 gb, black for $503.

All accessories and no visible damage.

That's $96 off new. I'll take that any day. And they had at least 3 more in the back.

Check your BBs guys, can't beat that deal.

Michael

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Same here! Got an iPad 4 32 GB Black for $535 and another $60 off on top of that ($485) for Black Friday...perfect so far

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I scored a 32gb Mini VZW for 55 bucks off then I cashed in 110 in reward zone money. Got it for a cool 435 when all said and done with 18 months no interest financing.

jaytypes

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
I got a mini from sprint and they gave me $100 off since I had bought the iPhone 5 from them.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
$100 off? Open box? Hope you got a warranty with it -- don't be surprised if something goes wrong with it.

Open box means someone opened the box then returned it for any number of reasons...it's doesn't mean defective. It also goes through a series of tests before being resold. In the event something does go wrong, they replace it or apple care steps in replaces. Mine is perfect, well worth the $115 savings...got a 32GB for less than a 16

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Open box means someone opened the box then returned it for any number of reasons...it's doesn't mean defective. It also goes through a series of tests before being resold. In the event something does go wrong, they replace it or apple care steps in replaces. Mine is perfect, well worth the $115 savings...got a 32GB for less than a 16

so you telling me that bestbuy run a series of tests before putting back on the shelves????? BS...... we r talking about same bestbuy right? I remember telling the person at bestbuy when I return my iPad the they should return my iPad back to apple cause it was a hardware issue ( random lock up). but chances are they going to put it back on the shelves later that night. hey purchasing open item is all about lucky. I rather spend that extra 90 bucks for a brand new one, but that's just me

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
so you telling me that bestbuy run a series of tests before putting back on the shelves????? BS...... we r talking about same bestbuy right? I remember telling the person at bestbuy when I return my iPad the they should return my iPad back to apple cause it was a hardware issue ( random lock up). but chances are they going to put it back on the shelves later that night. hey purchasing open item is all about lucky. I rather spend that extra 90 bucks for a brand new one, but that's just me

You can buy an open box one from best buy and claim there's a "defect" to apple and get a brand new replacement. It makes no sense not to get an open box iPad 4. You're saving hella money by doing it and getting the full warranty.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
30 day return policy (longer for holiday)
Full AppleCare Warranty
Severely discounted price

People can be such whiners when it comes to Best Buy. An open box iPad is not a Best Buy product, its an Apple product that is sold at Best Buy. If its defective then either return it or go to an apple store to have them fix/replace it.

I can understand why people prefer to buy new, but to me that extra 20% people pay for a new one Is just for the shrink wrap.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Not to mention, you can still return an open box item just the same as any other item. If there's something so glaringly wrong with the iPad that the original purchaser returned it right away, do you think you wouldn't also notice the same thing within your 30 day return window?

But hey, if people want to spend more money for the exact same thing, more power to them.

CaneCollegeboy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2003
Bestbuy open items are a great deal but with one caveat:

Apple doesn't care that your the second owner they just go by 30 days after the original purchase and if you out side of that time frame you have no chance of getting apple care + for the ipad. Everything else is no problem and some people prefer going with square insurance or dont get insurance at all. All of that said Best Buy has been great with me :)

MacDadd3

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
I'm a big fan of open box deals or any type of deals on gadgets. I don't think I've paid full price on an apple product ever. I usually buy open box items and inspect them to make sure they are fine, If I see anything wrong I either take it up with apple or best buy.

On another note, I had best buy price match Micro Center for the iPad 4 after exchanging an iPad mini and they only charged tax on the difference, in essence I got an iPad 4 for 455.

tataocb

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
On another note, I had best buy price match Micro Center for the iPad 4 after exchanging an iPad mini and they only charged tax on the difference, in essence I got an iPad 4 for 455.

How did you get Best Buy to match the price of Micro Center? I called today and asked and they told be they wouldn't match the price since Micro Center was not an Apple authorized dealer.

MacDadd3

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
I would just show up to best buy and get one of the guys to bring you the ipad 4, when at the register show them the price on your cell phone. But I'm sure just like everywhere, price matching policies seem to vary by location and employee.

It's hard for them to turn down a sale when it's already about to be processed. And I don't believe that unauthorized seller BS. You could also try target and Walmart price match if your best buy are being jerks.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

I worked at BBY and have purchased open box items - there's nothing wrong with them, and if you find something wrong, BBY replaces it. Open box is the way to go.

----------

I would just show up to best buy and get one of the guys to bring you the ipad 4, when at the register show them the price on your cell phone. But I'm sure just like everywhere, price matching policies seem to vary by location and employee.

It's hard for them to turn down a sale when it's already about to be processed. And I don't believe that unauthorized seller BS. You could also try target and Walmart price match if your best buy are being jerks.

I was told to spew all kinds of random stuff about not matching Microcenter's prices, so not sure what the real reasons are. Just know that BBY will match just about any other brick-and-mortar store price, except Microcenter - though from what I was told, the common factors all centered around MC not selling brand new Apple products, but repackaged ones.

That being said, I matched plenty of MC prices while at BBY - had a great supervisor who would let us.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
I bought something from best buy as an open box, and it didn't work- they allowed me to return it the next day, but didn't allow me to exchange it for another, new non-open box one. I kinda needed it so I paid the extra $30.

Did I get hosed?

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I've purchased several items open boxed from Best Buy, to me it is worth it.

This year alone I got an iPad 3 for $70 off retail and my iPhone 5 for a bargain. They had a white iPhone 5 64gb and when the salesman rang it up he decided to give me the 16gb pricing, plus 10 percent off. I had a upgrade bonus from best buy worth $50 so I got an open box iPhone 5, 64gb for $129.99 plus tax on the full price ($899). Not bad.

Plus, my iPad from best buy did have some defects, it is already replaced by Apple when I replicated the defects to the Genius. The new one I got is flawless.

----------

I bought something from best buy as an open box, and it didn't work- they allowed me to return it the next day, but didn't allow me to exchange it for another, new non-open box one. I kinda needed it so I paid the extra $30.

Did I get hosed?

After my last post saying how great my Apple purchases open box have been from Best Buy. I wanted to follow up on your post.

I had the same thing happen to me, I bought my fridge open box, yet during delivery, the Best Buy crew dented the heck out of the front. Best Buy only gave me the option of paying up the difference to get the same fridge new. I was not happy with this as they were the ones that caused the damage, not me. I decided to get back in the store and found a different open box and made sure it was in good condition when shipped to me from store.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
30 day return policy (longer for holiday)
Full AppleCare Warranty
Severely discounted price

People can be such whiners when it comes to Best Buy. An open box iPad is not a Best Buy product, its an Apple product that is sold at Best Buy. If its defective then either return it or go to an apple store to have them fix/replace it.

I can understand why people

I prefer to buy new, but to me that extra 20% people pay for a new one Is just for the shrink wrap.

I always buy Open Box FIRST !!!

If I like it, I return it and buy a BRAND NEW one.

I know I prefer new, and I know if I do not like a product I will return it.

Nobody get's hurt when I buy an Open Box and return it to buy Brand New.

On the other hand if I buy Brand New , don't like it and return it the store gets stuck with another Open Box item to mess with.

I take it home and play with it for a week or so.

----------

Did I get hosed?

Why should they allow you to exchange a discounted Open Box item for a non discounted Brand New item?

Sounds to me like they allowed you to return the Open Box, gave you a full refund of the PURCHASE PRICE ( which is all you are entitled to ) .... but you wanted them to give you MORE than you paid them.

You did not get hosed by BestBuy, but BestBuy did prevent themselves from getting hosed by you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.