Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:41 AM   #1
mrbigglessworth
macrumors member

Did I get a perfect rMBP?

I purchased and received my first Apple computer product last Monday Dec 10.

It is a 2.6Ghz, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM with a Retina LG screen with a Week 49 build.

I had very minor game performance issues for the first 2 days under Windows via bootcamp, but after applying various updates all is well.

I have had no lagginess, no slowdown, no EFI wonkiness (it shipped with the latest) and have not had to reset the SMC at all.

It connects just fine to Wifi N, sleeps and wakes instantly, no lagginess, no stutteryness, nothing of any sort of issue that I see constantly reported about in this forum.

Ive used the trackpad and an external wireless mouse, Ive used a thunderbolt to DVI adaptor for a 20 inch external monitor and I even share the mouse with my Windows desktop both from Windows via bootcamp and OS X (via auto start options using Synergy. Synergy itself is a bear to setup, but that is a different issue)

I can VNC to my Windows box when needed (it is home premium 7 so RDP/Cord wont work right now) and access shared network folders via wifi in Windows via Homegroup and via finder Command K Lookup.

I also have a 3TB External USB3.0 drive for backup purposes that just flies on data transfer rates.

VMWare works as expected and running Win7 via by bootcamp partition and a VM of Ubuntu side by side is no sweat.

Gaming performance is insane compared to my 6 year old desktop. Its very difficult to drop below 120 fps in Team Fortress 2, and I was getting 50fps or more with everything turned on (except shadows) in Star Wars the Old Republic. My old system averaged 35 fps and 25 fps respectively.

Fans kick on and spin up appropriately to manage heat, and it does get warmer in Windows in games than it does under Mac but I do not see any reports of any system throttling of the processor speed to compensate. After the introduction videos of whatever I play, I see the cpu speed ramp up to 2.6Ghz.

All in all, my biggest issue is just learning the ins and outs of how OS X behaves.
mrbigglessworth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:04 AM   #2
xPurpleblob
macrumors regular

signs of the world ending...
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:14 AM   #3
mrbigglessworth
macrumors member

My survival kit wont arrive until the day after! I should have paid for faster shipping!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:18 AM   #4
leman
macrumors 601

Sorry to disappoint you. Your rMBP is just the normal average one.

leman is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:24 AM   #5
kh3khalid
macrumors regular

So this thread is just to show off your 16GB and 512GB SSD? :P

As the last poster said it's an average rMBP that anyone can get, nothing special about it. But as a machine compared to other brands or your older desktop, it's an epic one. Everyone with a rMBP has an epic machine.
kh3khalid is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:31 AM   #6
mrbigglessworth
macrumors member

Everyone? Mine is not epic, it is not the 2.7 with 768, I though providing specs was relevant to the situation, if you see this as showing off, then well, that is your issue.

I have been browsing the forums here for several months and see nothing but constant griping and complaining about various issues with the 15 inch retina models. I just thought it would be for a nice change of pace to show that sometimes, a machine exhibits no problems and provided a reference point for performance based on previous hardware.

Last edited by mrbigglessworth; Dec 19, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
mrbigglessworth is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:54 AM   #7
Spetsnazos
macrumors regular

there is scrolling lag on certain sites but if you go to those sites with other laptops or desktops you'll get the same thing...
Spetsnazos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:02 AM   #8
mrbigglessworth
macrumors member

I dont seem to know what scrolling lag is as any site that I visit functions as expected. I dont have any unexpected delays when I move down any particular page. Ive been using both Safari and Chrome.

I have seen people mention this lag, but I simply just dont see it, or my tolerance for perfect scrolling inst so tight as to notice a determent in performance.

Last edited by mrbigglessworth; Dec 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:07 AM   #9
Spink10
macrumors 68030

Im glad your machine is working perfect for you!
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:50 PM   #10
ZhenyaF
macrumors 6502

Mine is perfect too
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:25 PM   #11
bogatyr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigglessworth View Post
I have seen people mention this lag, but I simply just dont see it, or my tolerance for perfect scrolling inst so tight as to notice a determent in performance.
This is pretty much it. They all lag but it is a very subjective item so some users notice, some don't. I notice it but it doesn't bother me. I love my retina - 0 complaints and I even have a few dead pixels.
bogatyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:39 PM   #12
zjazz
macrumors regular

Of course it's perfect!!!! Congrats on your new machine, enjoy it!!!
zjazz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:07 PM   #13
lwilliams
macrumors regular

I have to report the same results. After I got mine 2 weeks ago, I got worried reading all the bad things people were saying here. But this device is perfect! I'm glad your is too!
lwilliams is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:23 PM   #14
Rich74
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPurpleblob View Post
signs of the world ending...
Friday!!
Rich74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:43 PM   #15
golf1410
macrumors 6502a

Sry dude, they will release a better one in next 6 months and fix all the issue relate to heat and display. They will have a new Intel Haswell that will support even more pixels and double GPU performance in CPU. Ivy bridge does not deserve retina display as it has weak GPU core. What you have is just a laptop that Apple was trying to push the hardware to the limit, test the market and say to Intel hey look! Make a better one next year because we sell a lot of retina MBP.
Intel. Ok!
golf1410 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:55 PM   #16
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

It's going to turn back into a pumpkin at midnight.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:30 PM   #17
Spetsnazos
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf1410 View Post
Sry dude, they will release a better one in next 6 months and fix all the issue relate to heat and display. They will have a new Intel Haswell that will support even more pixels and double GPU performance in CPU. Ivy bridge does not deserve retina display as it has weak GPU core. What you have is just a laptop that Apple was trying to push the hardware to the limit, test the market and say to Intel hey look! Make a better one next year because we sell a lot of retina MBP.
Intel. Ok!
Lold where do you get these "facts". The GPU performance isn't going to make much of a difference. Tell me exactly when the rMPB suffers in terms of performance? About the only good thing with haswll is battery life will be better by about 10%
Spetsnazos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:06 PM   #18
HishamAkhtar
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Intel. Ok!
You realize that the 15 inch MBPr has a DISCRETE GPU right? Unlike the 13 inch, the 15 inch version has no problems running the retina display. And personally, I think even the iGP option is manageable on the 13 inch (although not ideal).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigglessworth View Post
Everyone? Mine is not epic, it is not the 2.7 with 768, I though providing specs was relevant to the situation, if you see this as showing off, then well, that is your issue.

I have been browsing the forums here for several months and see nothing but constant griping and complaining about various issues with the 15 inch retina models. I just thought it would be for a nice change of pace to show that sometimes, a machine exhibits no problems and provided a reference point for performance based on previous hardware.
People tend to run to forums if they notice a problem with their laptop. Majority of people haven't had problems with the laptops or it would have blown up big time and Apple would have been forced to perform a recall. Hope you're enjoying your MBPr! I got mine recently and it's a mega laptop.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
Ah I heard some of them did that! Is there a code to see if mine will as well?
HishamAkhtar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:38 PM   #19
cla9614
macrumors newbie

Cool Great response....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
Hahahahahahah

iMac - Mid 2011
13" MBP - 2012
cla9614 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:05 PM   #20
golf1410
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spetsnazos View Post
Lold where do you get these "facts". The GPU performance isn't going to make much of a difference. Tell me exactly when the rMPB suffers in terms of performance? About the only good thing with haswll is battery life will be better by about 10%
Google dude. Read the news. It is all over the Internet. Intel has release the info. In term of performance we all know, with millions of pixels are driven by GPU in CPU and Nvidia. That is why Apple overclock the GPU and that is why rmbp is hot when you play games like diablo 3 and you really can't put the game max out video setting. Some frames drop. Bra bra. Hardware is not up there yet. Accept the fact. You will see the different when the Haswell is in rmbp. This is not the first time Apple put the hardware limit..
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:12 PM   #21
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich74 View Post
Friday!!
I just hope there's lots of fire and stuff like that.

and you know, if it doesn't happen there's going to be a lot of pissed off people.
mac jones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:18 PM   #22
golf1410
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HishamAkhtar View Post
You realize that the 15 inch MBPr has a DISCRETE GPU right? Unlike the 13 inch, the 15 inch version has no problems running the retina display. And personally, I think even the iGP option is manageable on the 13 inch (although not ideal).
I understand where are you coming from. I just pointed the fact about the GPU in CPU. Thats why ppl use the command to switch to Nvidia card for smother experience. However, this Nvidia card is overclocked by Apple to drive milion of pixels. when you on battery, it is on intel GPU by default or you need to plug in AC. Or you have to put command to force it to use Nvidia card. Just saying, in 6 months intel will response to the demand of high resolution display with more suitable CPU. The experience will be even beter than this generation. At usual, Apple first generation products do have some problem, and they are sloved in the next generation. Thats why ppl say IRON rule, Dont buy the first generation producr from Apple. Wait until rev or next gen. I myself have had this laptop as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUId...e_gdata_player
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:39 PM   #23
HishamAkhtar
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I understand where are you coming from. I just pointed the fact about the GPU in CPU. Thats why ppl use the command to switch to Nvidia card for smother experience. However, this Nvidia card is overclocked by Apple to drive milion of pixels. when you on battery, it is on intel GPU by default or you need to plug in AC. Or you have to put command to force it to use Nvidia card. Just saying, in 6 months intel will response to the demand of high resolution display with more suitable CPU. The experience will be even beter than this generation. At usual, Apple first generation products do have some problem, and they are sloved in the next generation. Thats why ppl say IRON rule, Dont buy the first generation producr from Apple. Wait until rev or next gen. I myself have had this laptop as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUId...e_gdata_player
Yeah they aren't going to make a product WORSE in subsequent generations but having used the MBPr, it's a very polished product in it's own right.
HishamAkhtar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:24 AM   #24
TheSpeaker
Banned

No you didn't.
TheSpeaker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:59 AM   #25
Mackan
macrumors 65816

No you didn't, because you got the LG screen which will most likely show image retention problem sooner or later.
Mackan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro