Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Pinch to zoom is not a patent its a human gesture, you can't patent that. It would be like patenting looking up or down to scroll one day if they ever decide to use that for something. Actually I think they already do for disabled people... anyways this is a totally invalid patent!!

shootingrubber

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2009
Guys let's file a patent for scrolling on a computer... Good grief, how can you have a patent for essentially using 2 fingers on a touch screen? These patent lawsuits are ridiculous.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Now only if Apple will pay the royalty fees to the inventor of the LCD Screen, Randon Access Memory etc etc...

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
These threads will stop when Apple stops bully suing with invalid, frivolous patents.

Actually no they won't. Because even and Apple stopped filing suits there are just as may filed against them. And there will be articles about those.

No one is holding a gun to anyone's head making you read these articles. So don't. Problem solved

----------

I would like to point out that all 3 of the patents Apple is suing Samsung for in the US are in various stages of being invalidated.

Which means little since its not a guarantee that any of them will be invalidated. Some may stand as they are, some might be amended and in such a way that the various suits still stand

----------

I don't really get the patent system, but I will guess that if Apple deserves a patent and what you say is true, then the patent becomes FRAND, not invalid.

Nope. While a couple of posters and even Google think this patent is essential and should be forced into FRAND, it actually isn't essential at all. SEP are for things like wifi and 3G not for zooming techniques cause folks are too lazy to think up another method

Newton70

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
"No one is holding a gun to anyone's head making you read these articles. So don't. Problem solved"

but that's his lot in life...

Journeygaut

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
Patent is sound!!!

My 2 cents…
If the US patent office allows this patent, 'Method of swinging on a swing - Patent number: 6368227'. Then I think Apple's patent should defiantly be approved. Case closed. :cool:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
"Pinch to zoom" is commonplace in all competing smartphones that people often forget that without Apple the technology would never have become mainstream. With that being said it should be licensed out as a FRAND patent. It just seems like such common sense now, not one company should hold the key to it.

But who would hold the patent to something publically show 25 years before the first Iphone?

Certainly not Apple.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Just because Apple users don't know much about computer research doesn't mean nothing else exists:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-touch

One actual implementation that was nothing like Apple's and a handful of design discussions does not really equal someone doing exactly what Apple did before them.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
My 2 cents…
If the US patent office allows this patent, 'Method of swinging on a swing - Patent number: 6368227'. Then I think Apple's patent should defiantly be approved. Case closed. :cool:

LOL! I just read it at http://www.google.com/patents/US6368227. From reading about this patent on other websites, it looks like it was meant to be a joke patent filed by someone but it went through all the US patent office reviews and was granted a final patent!

The USPTO are absolutely incompetent for even letting that go through a first reading let alone get a final patent! The guy filing it patented swinging on a swing. It was brazenly obvious just reading the document that it was suppose to be a joke. The guy even puts in the patent application "The user may even choose to produce a Tarzan-type yell while swinging in the manner described, which more accurately replicates swinging on vines in a dense jungle forest."

This just goes to further prove how dumb the patents granted to Apple are. Excuse me while I go patent "Method of horizontal movement on a bed".

----------

One actual implementation that was nothing like Apple's and a handful of design discussions does not really equal someone doing exactly what Apple did before them.

OMG, the koolaid is strong.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
While this isn't the one I was originally talking about, this video from May 30th, 2007 shows off some of the tech I mentioned earlier.

Bill says in the first 30 or so seconds that it is a camera detecting the touches which is NOT Apple's invention. Patent Law allows for the patenting of improvements on prior tech and new methods of older ideas as new items.

----------

Why should everyone else be forced to use another method just because Apple uses it on their platform?

Because Apple controls the IP and it is not SEP so they don't have to share. That's the way the laws work

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Bill says in the first 30 or so seconds that it is a camera detecting the touches which is NOT Apple's invention. Patent Law allows for the patenting of improvements on prior tech and new methods of older ideas as new items.

OMG, Apple did not invent capacitance. Faraday did.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
OMG, the koolaid is strong.

Yeah it is. But I'm not the one drinking it. You are and it's affecting your reading comprehension, logical thinking skills etc. perhaps you should sober up and actually learn a little about how patent law works before you say something that really makes you look dumb.

Renzatic

Suspended

Apple's Pinch To Zoom patent reads as such...

Patent said:
A machine readable storage medium storing executable program instructions which when executed cause a data processing system to perform a method comprising:
receiving a user input, the user input is one or more input points applied to a touch-sensitive display that is integrated with the data processing system;
creating an event object in response to the user input;
determining whether the event object invokes a scroll or gesture operation by distinguishing between a single input point applied to the touch-sensitive display that is interpreted as the scroll operation and two or more input points applied to the touch-sensitive display that are interpreted as the gesture operation;
issuing at least one scroll or gesture call based on invoking the scroll or gesture operation;
responding to at least one scroll call, if issued, by scrolling a window having a view associated with the event object; and
responding to at least one gesture call, if issued, by scaling the view associated with the event object based on receiving the two or more input points in the form of the user input.

It doesn't mention a specific technology, only a "touch sensitive display". So in this case, it doesn't matter if it uses Apple's capacitance tech, or Microsoft's.

edit: I find it hard to read patent language, but it seems like it's covering one finger scrolling as much as it is two finger zooming. It's like...

It seemingly reads like "if you use one finger, then the OS interprets that as scroll. If two or more fingers are used, then call scroll action, but interpret as a pinch to zoom or other miscellaneous gestures".

If I'm reading it right (and I have no guarantees that I am), then that's a pretty goddamn stupid thing to patent.

Last edited:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania

Sarcasm? Capacitance is a natural phenomena that existed since the dawn of time -- no one invented it. It merely was studied and described. Faraday had some successful experiments, but capacitance itself wasn't mathematically described until later

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Apple didn't invent pinch to zoom. See all the posts above. Apple is basically stealing credit for the work other companies did.

I believe another company was working on it and that company was bought by Apple. So no, I don't think they were stealing the credit.

good. there is no way pinch to zoom should be patentable

Why is that ???

Now only if Apple will pay the royalty fees to the inventor of the LCD Screen, Randon Access Memory etc etc...

Apple buys their screens and RAM. The manufactors pay the fees. (In some instances the manufactors hold the patents.) Some people also tend to forget that patents aren't forever.

Mr Faraday worked with inductors. Please try again.

RVdave

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
I think I may have just infringed on Apple's patent......I pinched my wife and something zoomed!

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
Another Apple patent is in the spotlight tonight, after the United States Patent and Trademark Office has preliminarily rejected all 20 claims of Patent No. 7,844,915, or the so-called "pinch to zoom" patent.

patent915.jpg

21 claims, not 20

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
What companies shipped consumer products that included pinch to zoom as a feature? Please, list links to these products, companies, and patents.

Thx.

Here, go to 33:40, and note the reaction of the viewers.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s72uTrA5EDY

You seriously posted a video of Jobs where the audience would have cheered and whooped if he dumped on the stage as a valid argument?

Is this now the level of conversation on this site?

A crowd that paid $1,000 to attend an Apple Specific vent are not going to heckle him are they?

Apple did what they always do, took an existing technology and made it fancy. Whilst marketing the hell out of it.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
You seriously posted a video of Jobs where the audience would have cheered and whooped if he dumped on the stage as a valid argument?

Is this now the level of conversation on this site?

A crowd that paid $1,000 to attend an Apple Specific vent are not going to heckle him are they?

Apple did what they always do, took an existing technology and made it fancy. Whilst marketing the hell out of it.

More than one thousand posts and you still write with this condescending tone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.