Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
So I've been on T-Mobile for several months waiting for them to refarm my area for 3G on the 1900mhz been for the iPhone. Initially they said it would be done by the end of the year but so far has not even started in my area. So I've been suffering with Edge data for longer than expected and who knows how many more months before my city gets refarmed. This left me with options of

1 - Wait 3-4 months for T-Mobile's iPhone and my area to get refarmed (continue using 2G data in the meantime)
2 - Switch to an Android device that is currently compatible with T-Mobile HSPA+
3 - Switch to another carrier and possibly come back to T-Mo in 2yrs when their network is matured and fully iPhone ready

I saw the Walmart deal for $127 for the iPhone 5 and took it today. Waited about 2.5hrs in line for it. Although I usually hate CDMA networks, I went with Verizon because they have LTE almost everywhere I go according to their coverage maps.

Then I get home only to find that inside my apartment Verizon drops to 1 bar of service and alternates between 3G and "o". Can only get LTE if I stand near the front door. Whereas I have 5 bars here with T-Mobile. Didn't expect this at all. Fully expected Verizon to blow T-Mobile away in terms of coverage. Now scratching my head as to what to do. Just deal with the poor home coverage or wait it out with Edge?

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wirelessly posted

Not a Verizon user (I'm with AT&T) but I use a mini cell tower in my house which uses the Internet. AT&T calls it a "microcell"

Perhaps some Verizon users can chime in with a similar solution.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
It isn't really a "coverage" issue if it happens just in your home. I had this happen before in an apartment I used to live in where with a 3GS with Bell, I'd get zero bars but full reception as soon as I walked out the door. I switched to Telus and got a Galaxy S, same exact issue. My roommate who has some crummy slider phone with Bell had perfect reception.

All I can say is either use WiFi in your house and enjoy LTE while you're out and about or contact Verizon and see if they can offer you, or even offer at all, some kind of repeater.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Yeah I'll probably call and see if they can do anything. I went with them over AT&T because they have LTE in more areas but we'll see what they say.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
with Bell, I'd get zero bars but full reception as soon as I walked out the door. I switched to Telus and got a Galaxy S, same exact issue.

They share a network so that's why the result was the same.

As for OP, if T-Mobile service is good for you then I'd recommend trying an android phone and waiting it out till the iPhone officially comes out (if ever) or until they refarm your area. If your home is where you need service and Verizon can't provide that then you shouldn't switch. Pick service first then phone.

jwlbel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
I had the exact same problem when I switched from AT&T to Verizon. I went back to AT&T and enjoy full bars inside my house.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
By chance is your home an older building? I had the same problem with AT&T with Edge until their network matured in my area.

Recon73

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2012
United States
I had the exact same problem when I switched from AT&T to Verizon. I went back to AT&T and enjoy full bars inside my house.

I had exact same problem, but opposite. I had AT&T no reception in my house. Now I have verizon I have full bars at home with LTE. Like other posters have said pick the service which works best for you first, then pick the phone.

erb55

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
California
I have been a T-Mobile iPhone user for about a three years now..at first i had to deal with the terrible speed of EDGE since the iPhone is not built to run on T-Mobile's network..about two months ago i was finally able to get 3G on my iPhone 5 thanks to T-Mobile's attempt to upgrade their network to be able to drag more iPhone users to join their network...I'll admit at first i was really excited about this but after two weeks of 3G coming in and out, weak signal, dropping calls i finally said i've had enough, my iPhone would drop from 3G to EDGE at random times and even go NO SERVICE!!!...so I cancelled my T-Mobile service last friday and got AT&T and i can honestly say its one of the best decision i have made..LTE is a whole different ball game! there's no point on having an iPhone unless you have the speeds to go with it!!!! ATT ROCKS!!!

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
So I've been on T-Mobile for several months waiting for them to refarm my area for 3G on the 1900mhz been for the iPhone. Initially they said it would be done by the end of the year but so far has not even started in my area. So I've been suffering with Edge data for longer than expected and who knows how many more months before my city gets refarmed. This left me with options of

1 - Wait 3-4 months for T-Mobile's iPhone and my area to get refarmed (continue using 2G data in the meantime)
2 - Switch to an Android device that is currently compatible with T-Mobile HSPA+
3 - Switch to another carrier and possibly come back to T-Mo in 2yrs when their network is matured and fully iPhone ready

I saw the Walmart deal for $127 for the iPhone 5 and took it today. Waited about 2.5hrs in line for it. Although I usually hate CDMA networks, I went with Verizon because they have LTE almost everywhere I go according to their coverage maps.

Then I get home only to find that inside my apartment Verizon drops to 1 bar of service and alternates between 3G and "o". Can only get LTE if I stand near the front door. Whereas I have 5 bars here with T-Mobile. Didn't expect this at all. Fully expected Verizon to blow T-Mobile away in terms of coverage. Now scratching my head as to what to do. Just deal with the poor home coverage or wait it out with Edge?

But if you're at home, you have wifi. How's the coverage when you're away from wifi?

ngaham

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2011
Contact Verizon tech support. They should offer you, for free, a network extender. This will give you 3g and voice coverage inside your home and then you can use your wifi for your internet. This is their common protocol. I hope this helps.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
But if you're at home, you have wifi. How's the coverage when you're away from wifi?

I get LTE most areas outside my house. Seems like Verizon is weak inside many of the buildings I go into. It was around 2 bars and only 3G yesterday at work unless I go outside. I still have my T-Mobile 4S so I was comparing both of them yesterday during my commute. Surprisingly T-Mobile had better voice coverage almost the entire commute except further outside the city where Verizon's signal seemed stronger. Obviously the 2G is no match for the LTE though. Everything loads instantly. It's amazing.

I'm going to contact Verizon today and see what they can do about the signal at home. LTE is great and I would love to keep it. I've just recently moved into this new apartment so I don't have WiFi yet. Probably not until after Christmas at least so I rely on internet from my phone for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.