Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:42 PM   #1
imjoee
macrumors 6502

Which one is better?

13" retina display base model or new iMac 21.5 base model. Which one will last longer?
imjoee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:45 PM   #2
wonderspark
macrumors 68030

Neither will last longer, nor are better. (Moved from Mac Pro forum)
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Laco
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjoee View Post
13" retina display base model or new iMac 21.5 base model. Which one will last longer?
If you need something portable then you should get the notebook. If you are going to be using it at your desk at home all the time than the iMac would be the better choice, as it has a better GPU and processor.
Laco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:55 PM   #4
imjoee
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
If you need something portable then you should get the notebook. If you are going to be using it at your desk at home all the time than the iMac would be the better choice, as it has a better GPU and processor.
Appreciate the feedback. Thanks
imjoee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:19 AM   #5
Dominus Mortem
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjoee View Post
The 13" rMBP is going to fit in your computer bag a lot easier. I think the specs on the 21.5" are kind of anemic. You get less screen resolution and you're stuck with a mechanical hard drive too. I'd rather have the portability and the higher resolution screen. I think retina is the future.
Dominus Mortem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:43 AM   #6
De5
macrumors member

I think the iMac would last longer. Simply because you're not really gonna be constantly moving it, nor is there a chance to drop it or anything. If you have a drink by your macbook, and spill, you're done. If its on a keyboard, just go get another keyboard .
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:46 AM   #7
T5BRICK
macrumors 601

Did I miss the part where the OP told us what he needs to do with the computer?

If you need something portable, you obviously can't go with the iMac. On the other hand, if you need more than 128GB of internal storage, the 13" rMBP isn't going to work for you.
T5BRICK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:01 AM   #8
Barna Biro
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by De5 View Post
I think the iMac would last longer. Simply because you're not really gonna be constantly moving it, nor is there a chance to drop it or anything. If you have a drink by your macbook, and spill, you're done. If its on a keyboard, just go get another keyboard .
Well, I did see people drinking over their desktops too... I wouldn't necessarily call it much safer, it really depends on the person ( he can still knock it over and have the thing smash to the ground you know ).

I doubt anyone can properly estimate the life expectancy of either machines... instead of wasting time thinking about it, why not try to define your needs first? Do you care about portability? Do you care about a larger screen? Do you own a table at all? Once you can answer these and similar questions, I think the choice will be quite an obvious one.
Barna Biro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:42 AM   #9
De5
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barna biro View Post
well, i did see people drinking over their desktops too... I wouldn't necessarily call it much safer, it really depends on the person ( he can still knock it over and have the thing smash to the ground you know ).

i doubt anyone can properly estimate the life expectancy of either machines... Instead of wasting time thinking about it, why not try to define your needs first? Do you care about portability? Do you care about a larger screen? Do you own a table at all? once you can answer these and similar questions, i think the choice will be quite an obvious one.
+1

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro