Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:08 PM   #26
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
so the current iPad mini price is gonna drop to something nice and then we have retina mini

awesome.

had a feeling that was the plan all along
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:16 PM   #27
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Queue the rage rant from iPad mini owners.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 4.2.1
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:22 PM   #28
Scrumper
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
I'm ok with a faster release cycle if the supply chain can handle it.
Exactly. In Malaysia the iPad 4, Mini and iPhone 5 have only just gone on sale and other countries are still waiting for products for which there is already talk of replacements.
Scrumper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:24 PM   #29
Moshe1010
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgdeschamps View Post
I actually got one (WiFi 32GB model) last Saturday after comparing it to the iPad 4. I didn't see any annoying diference in performance between the two of them when I used the demo versions side by side, and the retina display is not a that big a deal -at least for me. Its portability, usability and looks are what made me opt for it... it's a great device.
You haven't seen any difference? Your eyes must have some sort of delay.
Moshe1010 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:31 PM   #30
dampfnudel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
Exactly. This is so ludicrous to assume a new iPad mini is around the corner with the first once being released 2 months ago. This is like the crazy talk of the iPhone 5S being launched soon. Nope, iPhone 5S will come out in fall and big remake for the mini is a long time away.

Those who point to the 4th gen iPad need to know that it was a minor spec bump and not a true next device. Come now people, nothing to see here.
Those words sound like they came from someone who's afraid they'll be joining the iPad 3 club in the first six months of 2013. A June/July 2013 release of the next iPhone, retina iPad mini 2 and iPad 5 sounds very plausible to me and others. For the iPhone, it's a return to a June/July release with ample supply into the Holidays (at least by October & November). For the iPad, it's a new release date, just in time for the back to school buying season as well as having an ample supply for the Holidays. Sure, iPhone 5 owners will only have 9 months or less to own the latest & greatest and some first gen iPad mini owners will experience buyer's remorse a few months earlier than expected. That's life and progress.
dampfnudel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:50 PM   #31
Otterblue
macrumors member

If they made a retina iPad mini the new resolution would demand updates for all existing apps like the iPhone/iPod 5 did. I'm not too fond of many different resolution screens for different devices like many manufacturers are.
Otterblue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:03 PM   #32
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterblue View Post
If they made a retina iPad mini the new resolution would demand updates for all existing apps like the iPhone/iPod 5 did. I'm not too fond of many different resolution screens for different devices like many manufacturers are.
A Retina mini would be the same resolution as the iPad 3rd and 4th generation so the apps would run at the same resolution just smaller.
nuckinfutz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:10 PM   #33
scott911
macrumors 6502

After owning a retina iphone,
I decided a non-retina mini would be a significant step backwards.
scott911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:13 PM   #34
syan48306
macrumors 6502

For all those who are saying the mini was designed to be cheap, I say keep the retina's price points for the current model. Introduce a retina version and bump up the price about 100 which would support a higher res and faster processor. This way, people can get their cheap mini and for the rest of us we can get our downsized retina ipad replacement.

EDIT: It's downright hard to go back to a non-retina iOS device after owning a iPhone 4, 4S, 5 and a retina macbook pro. =_=
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:27 PM   #35
etrinh
macrumors regular

My concern would be battery tech not keeping up with screen tech. The allure of the iPad Mini is the featherweight feel. Cram a retina display and your battery will most likely have to double in size look at what they had to do with the iPad from 2 to 3&4.
etrinh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:29 PM   #36
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrinh View Post
My concern would be battery tech not keeping up with screen tech. The allure of the iPad Mini is the featherweight feel. Cram a retina display and your battery will most likely have to double in size look at what they had to do with the iPad from 2 to 3&4.
That's because the display has dual light bars. Look for the iPad mini to use a more efficient backlight like IGZO which doesn't require the dual light bars.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/07/...pad-3-display/
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:18 PM   #37
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Yup. This was the test model and it's delivered some loud and clear results.

a) the market for lightweight sub 8" tablets is there
b) Apple products still command a premium
c) more supplier relations will have to be created to increase production

I think the current iPad mini is priced to slot in a retina display (potentially) with revision II. It's really going to come down to companies like AU Optronics, Sharp, LG and more. Can they deliver adequate quantities of lower power retina displays? I think they can.
Yep...the market is there...probably more then the tablet market of 10"

Honestly I think the mini is better because it IS ALMOST the iPad already and it has to do with the screen size and the bezel.

7.9" was NOT that different to me, but the overall size was and when you go back to the iPad you realize how much extra size that bezel takes up. I prefer the smaller bezel. When I place the Mini over the iPad you see just how much larger it is...but you don't gain all that much in screen real estate over the mini.

The mini seems to have the momentum as Apple's next big thing...so I think Apple should change it up on the iPad and go bigger with it...that could be a game changer there by positioning it more like a 11" MBAir but in a tablet.

So I think ideally, Apple should consider going to a larger screen for the iPad (maybe 10.5 or 11") and it becomes the home/work tablet and the iPad mini becomes the mobile tablet you take with you on the go.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by syan48306 View Post
EDIT: It's downright hard to go back to a non-retina iOS device after owning a iPhone 4, 4S, 5 and a retina macbook pro. =_=
Yep and for many of us, that's why we didn't get the mini.

I'm all in for the iPad Mini Retina when it comes out.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
Exactly. This is so ludicrous to assume a new iPad mini is around the corner with the first once being released 2 months ago. This is like the crazy talk of the iPhone 5S being launched soon. Nope, iPhone 5S will come out in fall and big remake for the mini is a long time away.

Those who point to the 4th gen iPad need to know that it was a minor spec bump and not a true next device. Come now people, nothing to see here.
Then why did they spec bump and not just wait? Because the Nexus and HD Fire were there for holiday competition.

Apple is moving to a bi-yearly release cycle for iOS devices...the writing is on the wall and there is a VERY good reason why they are going to do this...to not overtax their suppliers AND factories.

If you have factory A working on yearly release # (say Oct Release) and factory B working on #S (say April) you spread out the release pain while being able to meet demand. So when the #S release is coming in April, Factory A can already be ramped down and preparing for the next # release and then when Oct hits, Factory B can ramp down and prepare for the next #S release.

We all know that many people wait 3-6 months out for spec bumps or new releases. With 6 month cycles, they get those buyers in, don't have flat sales months and the factories can ramp down for the next release where they couldn't do that before.
Ryth is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:22 PM   #38
louis.b
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc34 View Post
That a way to keep your wife in her place! Lets not let our wives make their own decisions. /S
that's sexist.
louis.b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:34 PM   #39
SurferPup
macrumors member

Love My iPad mini

The resolution is very good on the iPad mini without a retina display. Don't wait - just buy this beautifully crafted device and enjoy now. Everyone without a tablet that I have shown mine too also want an iPad mini.
SurferPup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:52 PM   #40
troop231
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferPup View Post
The resolution is very good on the iPad mini without a retina display. Don't wait - just buy this beautifully crafted device and enjoy now. Everyone without a tablet that I have shown mine too also want an iPad mini.
Is that you Tim Cook?
troop231 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:44 AM   #41
scott911
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferPup View Post
With this thread in mind, I looked at a mini and retina ipad (and my retina 4S) side by side last might at apple store.

The mini just looks crude )especially letter formation) by comparison.

Make it heavier and thicker to accommodate a slightly bigger battery - I wouldn't mind one bit.
scott911 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:11 AM   #42
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriamjh1138@DAN View Post
My wife wants one. I told her, "why when we have an ipad2 already ?" She agreed.
she agreed? wow, thats such a compelling argument. i guess ill hold off too...she did agree, right?
mdelvecchio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:42 AM   #43
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

I see the iPad mini gen 1 much the way i saw the iPhone and iPad 1st gen, its "cheaply" built to test the waters, the gen 2 will have the real features added to it, when they decide if its going to be profitable or not.

In Other news, analysts continue to state the blindingly obvious.

Last edited by Nightarchaon; Dec 20, 2012 at 10:18 AM.
Nightarchaon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:14 PM   #44
dampfnudel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
Yep...the market is there...probably more then the tablet market of 10"

Honestly I think the mini is better because it IS ALMOST the iPad already and it has to do with the screen size and the bezel.

7.9" was NOT that different to me, but the overall size was and when you go back to the iPad you realize how much extra size that bezel takes up. I prefer the smaller bezel. When I place the Mini over the iPad you see just how much larger it is...but you don't gain all that much in screen real estate over the mini.

The mini seems to have the momentum as Apple's next big thing...so I think Apple should change it up on the iPad and go bigger with it...that could be a game changer there by positioning it more like a 11" MBAir but in a tablet.

So I think ideally, Apple should consider going to a larger screen for the iPad (maybe 10.5 or 11") and it becomes the home/work tablet and the iPad mini becomes the mobile tablet you take with you on the go.

----------

Yep and for many of us, that's why we didn't get the mini.

I'm all in for the iPad Mini Retina when it comes out.

----------

Then why did they spec bump and not just wait? Because the Nexus and HD Fire were there for holiday competition.

Apple is moving to a bi-yearly release cycle for iOS devices...the writing is on the wall and there is a VERY good reason why they are going to do this...to not overtax their suppliers AND factories.

If you have factory A working on yearly release # (say Oct Release) and factory B working on #S (say April) you spread out the release pain while being able to meet demand. So when the #S release is coming in April, Factory A can already be ramped down and preparing for the next # release and then when Oct hits, Factory B can ramp down and prepare for the next #S release.

We all know that many people wait 3-6 months out for spec bumps or new releases. With 6 month cycles, they get those buyers in, don't have flat sales months and the factories can ramp down for the next release where they couldn't do that before.
That makes a lot of sense. It may suck a little for people who are superficial, but in the long term it will be better for both Apple and us. It will also make it clear that smartphones are now just the new flip phones and having the latest version will matter as much as having the latest MacBook or HDTV. Use it to be productive, not to be "seen".
dampfnudel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:31 PM   #45
CDCC
macrumors member

High res meg camera please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlebee View Post
Good. I'm waiting for the retina display to consider purchasing one.
And please Apple, higher res on the iPad cameras. It is almost 2013 and they ONLY have a 5meg camera in these VERY expensive tablets. The only good camera is in the iPhone5.

Come on Apple and put the same nice camera in the iPads!
CDCC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:11 PM   #46
Dave FL
macrumors newbie

But change is coming

I refused to move up from my 3GS because of screen size on the 4 and 4S. They waited too long and I discovered I could put an AT&T prepaid sim in the 3GS and have full functionality (and wifi web) for $8/month, so I won't be upgrading at all to a new phone because VOLTE is now available. Had Given wife iPad 3 VZW thinking I'd get a mini. Small text on web sites looks awful though so I will wait for a retina mini.

If they take too long to go mini-retina, I will take that 3 back, reactivate it, and proceed with unlimited voice and text with Line2 app for $10/month on the ipad 3 VZW, which is shutting smartphone mfrs out of my future smartphone purchase so a big delay could also shut Apple out of an iPad ( mini ) sale.

The VOIP on LTE data is going to impact smartphones, and no company better be sitting back counting on them. Top of the line varied sizes of pads consolidating the VOLTE and data will be the future. Carriers are having a hard time giving away minutes already...
Dave FL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:13 PM   #47
Nick T.
macrumors regular

My 78 y.o. eyes require the Retina display

I'll buy the iPad Mini the moment it becomes available with Retina! Meanwhile I continue to struggle with the heavy weight of my full-sized iPad.
Nick T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:46 PM   #48
fiddlestyx
macrumors 6502

Analyst just making a guess that goes along conventional wisdom.

Makes sense for Apple to upgrade the display and the processor in the next gen mini after testing the market with the first gen.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion