Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:50 AM   #1
viper3881
macrumors newbie

Help with Apple TV, Airport Express, and Extreme TC3TB

Hello first time poster, but long time reviewer! Well the time has come that I have completely swapped over to the Apple platform after being with Windows for over 20 years! It’s a slow transition, but after my whole house rebuild of Apple products totaling around 8k I better get full use out of it.

OK, so here is my question. Do I need the Airport Xpress so I can mirror with my MBP, or Ipads to the Apple TV?

More detail on my question below…..

So I have purchased the Airport Extreme 3TB Time Capsule. From what I have gathered both on the web the Airport express is used for Airplay. I guess what I’m confused about is this….I know that the Airport Express has the digital/optical out for audio. Correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t that just be beneficial if you wanted to say connect some speakers to it so you can push your iTunes stream? In other words you (Don’t need it?) if you want to push your itunes music, videos, pictures..etc wireless, to your ATV use the Airport Extreme?

Finally, I just wanted to clarify if I need to purchase it. All my routers get great signal thought my house so no need for an express as an extender. So I really couldn’t use it their, but if it “IS” needed to stream from my ipad, MBP, and iMac to the Apple TV or to use mirroring then I guess I will need to buy it.

By the way, my Apple TV will be hooked up to my TV using HDMI cable. Then my TV has an optical out that runs to my stereo. Basically whatever HDMI video I have selected on my TV it will drive the audio to my surround sound speakers.

Thanks in advanced!
viper3881 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:05 AM   #2
viper3881
macrumors newbie

Any ideas to all the experts out their?
viper3881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:10 AM   #3
mwhities
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
You do not need the Airport Express to utilize AirPlay. You just need a supported system (2011 or newer - I believe) Mac/iPad/iPhone/iPod and connected to the wireless. All of your systems will see the ATV via Bonjour.

Just load a movie up on your iPad, look for the AirPlay button by your Stop/Play buttons on screen and select your ATV.

Good luck and welcome to the Apple world.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:17 AM   #4
viper3881
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
You do not need the Airport Express to utilize AirPlay. You just need a supported system (2011 or newer - I believe) Mac/iPad/iPhone/iPod and connected to the wireless. All of your systems will see the ATV via Bonjour.

Just load a movie up on your iPad, look for the AirPlay button by your Stop/Play buttons on screen and select your ATV.

Good luck and welcome to the Apple world.
Thank you! I really just wanted to confirm, as I was thinking the same thing as what you stated, but lacked the knowledge. Thanks again!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:28 AM   #5
mwhities
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper3881 View Post
Thank you! I really just wanted to confirm, as I was thinking the same thing as what you stated, but lacked the knowledge. Thanks again!
No problem, enjoy it!

(Now if you don't use that Airport Express, I'm looking for one, but I can't buy it until I get ACSP. :|)
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:45 AM   #6
viper3881
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
No problem, enjoy it!

(Now if you don't use that Airport Express, I'm looking for one, but I can't buy it until I get ACSP. :|)
Actually no I didnt get it. I just got the Extreme w/3TB TC for my home networking. The only reason I would get the Express is as an extender if I feel its needed down the road.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:50 AM   #7
mwhities
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper3881 View Post
Actually no I didnt get it. I just got the Extreme w/3TB TC for my home networking. The only reason I would get the Express is as an extender if I feel its needed down the road.
Yeah, I really don't need it. I have a few already, they are just fun to add at a friend's house when I get there and they don't have wireless.

I might need new friends.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals