Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
I'm planning to take the plunge into the iPhone world but I've read and heard that the iPhone 5 scratches easily? I'm planning to get the black one. I'm just curious about how many of you iPhone 5 users use their phone with no screen protector or case. How is it holding up? How's the back and the screen? Does the back really scratch that easily?

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I'm planning to take the plunge into the iPhone world but I've read and heard that the iPhone 5 scratches easily? I'm planning to get the black one. I'm just curious about how many of you iPhone 5 users use their phone with no screen protector or case. How is it holding up? How's the back and the screen? Does the back really scratch that easily?

I would highly advise that you invest in a case/bumper for your device -- especially if you're going with a black/slate iPhone 5. Screen protector isn't 100% necessary and might in fact ruin the touch screen experience.

Take a look at this thread for a better idea of what I'm talking about:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1445493/

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
I'm not really fond of cases... I was planning to get the SGP Ultra Crystal for the front and Matte for the back. Seems to get quite good reviews. Are u using yours with no screen protector?

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I'm not really fond of cases... I was planning to get the SGP Ultra Crystal for the front and Matte for the back. Seems to get quite good reviews. Are u using yours with no screen protector?

The SGP Ultra Crystal cover would work well against scratches/abrasions/stains/dirt on your device -- but won't do much to protect against possible drops.

I use Apple's official bumper for my iPhone 4S -- because the glass is a lot more likely to crack than the screen of the iPhone 5. It works great, I usually take it off when I'm at home, but when I'm out and about, it stays on. The back on the 4S doesn't scratch as easily as the back on the iPhone 5, so I didn't feel that purchasing an entire case was necessary.

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
I have used many iphones (including iphone 5) without a screen protector and never had a single scratch. The back and sides will need some protection unless you are extremely careful with the phone.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
The SGP Ultra Crystal cover would work well against scratches/abrasions/stains/dirt on your device -- but won't do much to protect against possible drops.

I use Apple's official bumper for my iPhone 4S -- because the glass is a lot more likely to crack than the screen of the iPhone 5. It works great, I usually take it off when I'm at home, but when I'm out and about, it stays on. The back on the 4S doesn't scratch as easily as the back on the iPhone 5, so I didn't feel that purchasing an entire case was necessary.

Rocking my 5 naked. (its white though) First time I've really ever had an iPhone without a case. I love it like this.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
Are you like super careful with it? How long have you had it?

Just as careful as anyone holding something thats glass! haha, Ive only had it about a week now? maybe two. Scratchless and dingless. Althought I havent dropped it yet..:D

I can tell you this, I was probably more careful with my 4S with an otterbox on it than I am with this phone.

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
Yes you should put screen and back protector. And if you want the side to be protected, put bumper instead of a case. You don't want to end up noticing scratch on your screen everytime you look at the screen don't you?

SGP has a clear and thin type. But after awhile the protector itself will get scratches, but yea it's the purpose of it. And i think the maker does actually have this intention, so after a while you need to buy it again.

Zagg has also clear type, but it's thicker and stronger. So if you want to put a case later, just buy the the zagg invisible screen protector. But if you want your iphone to be naked all the way to the end, they also sell front and back protectors in one package.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I decided I was being too OCD with my iPhone 4 and took off the case and screen protector after a few months. I was getting tired of my screen protectors showing more finger prints and small scratches that didn't seem to show on the glass. Sure enough, after about a few weeks a deep scratch about 1/4 of an inch showed up dead center on the phone. I was irked a bit, but when using the phone I couldn't really notice it. I decided to go ahead and put a screen protector back on and you don't notice scratches on the screen after that. I lived with it for the remainder of ownership and traded it in at best buy when upgrading to my 5. In the end, small scuffs and scratches didnt even matter to best buy who ended up giving me $150 for the phone and I got to keep the accessories too!

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Which front screen protector do you guys recommend? I want it to feel as close to glass and I don't want the Retina display to be downgraded. I read that Zagg feels abit rubbery? I don't think I like that... How many of you guys protect the back with screen protectors and if you do, what do you use? SGP ?

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Every iPhone iv had from 3GS to the 5 haven't had any scratches on the actual screen. iPhones use gorilla glass so it's pretty tough against scratches.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Which front screen protector do you guys recommend? I want it to feel as close to glass and I don't want the Retina display to be downgraded. I read that Zagg feels abit rubbery? I don't think I like that... How many of you guys protect the back with screen protectors and if you do, what do you use? SGP ?

I've used powersupport,sgp, etc and none feel like the glass honestly. at first, yeah but once they get oily they slick up and squeak.. ew. if you want glass.. use a glas.tr or a bodyguards pure. thick, but they're actual glass so!

as for me ive found the naked iphone works the best. you'll get hairline scratches but honestly its not even a problem and you can only see them in direct sunlight.

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012

I tried Zagg and yes it is a bit rubbery. Now i use SGP, it's very thin and clear but a bit prone to scratches so don't clean the front side too much and use good eyeglasses cloth.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I use a bumper purchased off eBay for a few pounds sterling which is primarily to add a little grip.

No front or back shield at all with no issues.
Plus I don't like the feel or look of them from the top rated to the cheap options.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I dropped my iPhone 5 on the floor and had the overenthusiatic puppy go a little nuts before reclaiming it, only suffered one not very noticeable scratch from it. The back is pretty resilient honestly.

JPChicago

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
Chicago
I have a white 5 and I'm using the Zagg HD screen protector. Feels way better than any other protector I've had. And I'm using the " poetic atmosphere". Best case hands down! Super thin, adds no bulk to the phone.

MaloCS

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
I run my 4S with an Apple bumper only and that's really for the non skid benefit over any type of protection it may provide. The way I see it is it's a damn phone. I'll be careful with it but if it gets scratched I really don't care. I'll have a new model in a year or so anyway.

I don't understand why someone buys such a sleek device and then hides it in some bulky case. Just my opinion. :)

Dr Sam Beckett

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
as the countless others have said.. i've had every iphone.. and have had very few scratches.. especially since the 4/4s/5 the glass is really scratch resistant

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Over 5 years and 4 phones I've never used a case not had any significant (hell, even insignificant) damage to any of them. If you're one of those truly bizarre people on here that think of the phone as an investment that they need to keep in a pillow at all times, then sure, do what you want. If you're a sane person that realizes it's a tool that you use and not a baby, you'll be fine. [Side note - I don't advocate treating a baby like you treat a phone. Those suckers should be wrapped in bubble wrap and locked in the closet to avoid damage and to get the highest resale value).

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
I just got my iPhone few days ago and decided to just leave it naked since I can't get the SGP to ship to where I am now. Seems fine so far.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I let the front of my iPhone 4 go naked for two years, and was it fine.

The back had an invisibleSHIELD, so I could lay it on whatever.

YMMV. I'm not a klutz and I dedicate my left front pocket, so nothing goes in there except my phone.

abhinav7333

macrumors member
May 5, 2012

My advice, get a square trade warranty. I love my phone naked. I love that metal feel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.