Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:24 PM   #1
barkmonster
macrumors 68020

PowerPC/Intel compatible COAX SP/DIF USB adapters?

The SP/DIF on every device from TVs to DVD players, Hifi seperate CD players and on MOST low cost USB options as well as Intel based Macs is optical but the SP/DIF I/O on my Digidesign Mbox2 is COAX.

I have my old Quicksilver hooked up with a spare midi interface so I can run extra software synths and I really want to take advantage of the SP/DIF input on my Mbox 2.

I've already tried a software based ethernet solution, Wormhole, but the latency is a joke and it's very flakey.

My cheapest solution, if it's recognised both on a PPC based Mac with Mac OS X 10.5 and Intel based Macs with more recent OS versions as a generic audio device is the FANMUSIC FM-6011. It's only about 20.

Does anyone have an experience of using one to confirm it's compatible?

My only other option seems to be from Lindy.co.uk and involves getting an optical to COAX converter for 35 which would work at a later date with the digital I/O of my Mac Mini and then spending 20 + the cost of an optical cable for a USB to SP/DIF adapter.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio