Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
i know you can use the ipad charger to charge the iphone but does it do it the other way round. Would it be slower to charge the ipad with the iphone charger ??

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Ipad can draw up to 12W if according to the new adapter provided with the 4.

Iphone adaptor can provide 5W at max so of course it would take longer, might as well mess up the adaptor because Ipad will continue to pull more power through usb.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
the iPhone charger will get VERY VERY hot and i highly recommend you not use it to charge the iPad 3 or iPad 4.

you are asking for trouble

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
the iPhone charger will get VERY VERY hot and i highly recommend you not use it to charge the iPad 3 or iPad 4.

you are asking for trouble

Not true. It won't get very very hot. It will get warm, like any charger will while charging. It will take forever to charge, though.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Not true. It won't get very very hot. It will get warm, like any charger will while charging. It will take forever to charge, though.

of course it's true. it's even true with the iPad Mini. it ships with the same 5W charger that comes with the iPhone. the charger gets extremely hot to the touch when charging the Mini.

just for shhh*ts and giggles, i tried to charge my iPad 3 Retina...and it could barely be touched.

if you think i am making this up, search the forums for the 5W charger overheating

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
of course it's true. it's even true with the iPad Mini. it ships with the same 5W charger that comes with the iPhone. the charger gets extremely hot to the touch when charging the Mini.

just for shhh*ts and giggles, i tried to charge my iPad 3 Retina...and it could barely be touched.

if you think i am making this up, search the forums for the 5W charger overheating

I guess those who bought Ipad mini will have to buy seperate 10W adaptor as well and should have an iphone or ipod touch so its 5W dont go to waste.

Apple shouldn't be so cheap on $329 device.

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
Not sure what you guys are saying. The charger with my mini gets wicked hot, but it charges relatively quickly. Much faster than an iPad 3 for sure.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I guess those who bought Ipad mini will have to buy seperate 10W adaptor as well and should have an iphone or ipod touch so its 5W dont go to waste.

Apple shouldn't be so cheap on $329 device.

agreed, included a 5W charger was a stupid move.

Not sure what you guys are saying. The charger with my mini gets wicked hot, but it charges relatively quickly. Much faster than an iPad 3 for sure.

yeah the iPad Mini i used to have charged VERY quickly but the 5W charger got extremely hot.

apparently for some, the 5W charger has gotten so hot that it warped the Lightning cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.