Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krawfo

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2011
When I first got my iMac, I set up two 500 gb partitions on my 1tb drive and put Windows on one of the partitions. I've nearly filled my OSX drive with almost nothing on the Windows partition. Should I resize the drive partitions throught OSX or Windows? I don't know if it matters but I'm actually running Windows via Parallels.
Thanks.

-Concept-

macrumors member
When I first got my iMac, I set up two 500 gb partitions on my 1tb drive and put Windows on one of the partitions. I've nearly filled my OSX drive with almost nothing on the Windows partition. Should I resize the drive partitions throught OSX or Windows? I don't know if it matters but I'm actually running Windows via Parallels.
Thanks.

I don't think you can resize the Boot Camp partition using standard Disk Util procedure in Mac, although you can buy/get a free trial an app that will do it for you. Here's a link to what I found on the subject: http://www.macworld.com/article/2010978/resizing-a-boot-camp-partition.html I don't know about whether or not you can do it on the Windows side of things.

Hope that can help you.

Also, when you say you're running it through Parallels, you mean Parallels is synced up with your partition and can interact with it from your Mac interface? Because that would be helpful to me too. :)

krawfo

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2011
Concept, thanks for the link and the info. I'm not sure what you mean by "Parallels is synced up with your partition and can interact with it from your Mac interface".
I initially installed Bootcamp but quickly got tired of rebooting every time I wanted to switch between Windows and OSX. With Parallels, I can immediately switch between the 2 OS's to access my Windows install on the Bootcamp partition.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Concept, thanks for the link and the info. I'm not sure what you mean by "Parallels is synced up with your partition and can interact with it from your Mac interface".
I initially installed Bootcamp but quickly got tired of rebooting every time I wanted to switch between Windows and OSX. With Parallels, I can immediately switch between the 2 OS's to access my Windows install on the Bootcamp partition.

That's what he was talking about, you are accessing the bootcamp partition from within parallels.

As for resizing, go into Disk Utility, if it is possible it is not greyed out and you can resize, BUT if I were you I would for sure have a backup, if it goes wrong you still have your Data.
So, make a backup first.

krawfo

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2011
When I go into disk utility, my 1 tb drive is shown with the Mac and Bootcamp partitions. It appears that only the Mac partition can be resized.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
When I go into disk utility, my 1 tb drive is shown with the Mac and Bootcamp partitions. It appears that only the Mac partition can be resized.

It may be possible to resize the bootcamp partition in Windows and then the HFS partition in OS X.
But, don't take my word for it.

Doggonit

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2012
What if my "Macintosh HD" partition on my SSD cannot be resized with the Disk Utility in OS X? What then?

I also believe that even if I made that smaller that way, and created an unallocated space, Windows 7 cannot extend the system partition (as there is no other one) from within the system using Disk Management (I think you used to be able to do this with Windows XP though, but oh well, 7 it is...).

Damn Battlefield 3 Premium Edition. Why is it SO big? The whole shebang with all the extensions is weighing in around 30GB?! That's downright insane.

krawfo

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2011
Update & Success

I just finished resizing my OSX/Bootcamp partition using a product called Paragon Camptune. It worked like a charm. Very easy to use and took about 15 minutes. It costs $19.95 but was able to find a 20% off coupon code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.