Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:27 AM   #76
adamchronister8
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysods View Post
In a while these prices will cool off. Man, could you imagine a 2.3 quad with a 500gb SSD with 16gb ram?

1. you would be broke
2. you would be crazy unless you made money with the machine
3. it would be so cool!
That would be a beautiful, if very expensive Macbook. What matters though is the speed of the RAM and the HD.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 02:34 AM   #77
Hans Brix
macrumors 6502

16GB, wow. I can't say I'd really have a use for it.
Hans Brix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:00 PM   #78
macEfan
macrumors 65816

And I remember the day I was all excited when the max memory was capped at 1gb
Old Apr 2, 2011, 12:10 AM   #79
LightSpeed1
macrumors 6502a

For a small fortune I can upgrade my macbook to 16GB. Not bad if you have it.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:16 PM   #80
johnnyturbouk
macrumors 65816

id go for a 16gb ram if i had the

also a 480 gb sandforce sf200 SSD x2 (optibay)

i love my MBP ad could spoil the ol gurl rotten

top it off, would love an oled 27" screen
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:09 AM   #81
Mikey7c8
macrumors regular

To be honest, the price isn't that outrageous - though I do agree it'll come down in time.

I could definitely find a use for it; but I certainly don't need it at this point in time. :0
Mikey7c8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 04:08 PM   #82
AndroidfoLife
Banned

I hate Ram Boosting

Right now for a 2010-2012 computer doing everyday task you need no more then 3 gbs of ram. For doing Video editing with multiple programs on you need no more then 12gbs. It really scares me that now apple is jumping on the ram boosting train. I hate how the commercial manufacturers now pray on most consumers ignorance to how computers work.
I see people selling people a ***** i3 computer with an unneeded amount of ram to people telling them it will be faster then the i7 because it has more ram.
AndroidfoLife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 04:08 AM   #83
holmesf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidfoLife View Post
Right now for a 2010-2012 computer doing everyday task you need no more then 3 gbs of ram. For doing Video editing with multiple programs on you need no more then 12gbs. It really scares me that now apple is jumping on the ram boosting train. I hate how the commercial manufacturers now pray on most consumers ignorance to how computers work.
I see people selling people a ***** i3 computer with an unneeded amount of ram to people telling them it will be faster then the i7 because it has more ram.
RAM is a funny thing. Sure, under light use the i7 will vastly outperform the i3, but as soon as you exceed physical memory and start paging to disk oh boy will the i3 perform better. Paging to disk is literally hundreds of times slower than reading from physical memory. So everything depends on your workload.

Personally I find 8GB sufficient -- I never page to disk with this much memory. And for a lot of people probably 4GB is sufficient. But then there's the crazy ones ...
holmesf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2011, 01:31 AM   #84
Battlefield Fan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesf View Post
Personally I find 8GB sufficient -- I never page to disk with this much memory. And for a lot of people probably 4GB is sufficient. But then there's the crazy ones ...
You mean I don't need the 64 GB of RAM I just bought for $3550 for my 12 Core Mac Pro?

My requirements are:
Facebook.
Battlefield Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2011, 08:33 AM   #85
packley
macrumors newbie

1066 vs 1333 not good solution causes problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by shstiger2009 View Post
But it will work with 1066, worked in mine.
New I7 MBP had Kingston MB1066k2 memory installed to increase to 8GB ram.
New MBP requires 1333; and video switching will cause problems (screen lockups and sleep recovery problems). I just went through diagnostics from Apple and this was the determined problem, although the MBP would not spit a code to reveal this "stealth" problem.
Beware!
Use only 1333mhz ram which may be difficult to find now.
I thought I would save money installing my own, now that memory
is useless and have to go back to oem 4GB memory until i can find
1333 variety
packley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:58 PM   #86
DisTriBution
macrumors newbie

OWC good or bad?

Just sharing my experience with OWC:

After reading many positive reviews of OWC on this and other forums, I ordered 16GB of ram for my MBP late 2011.

Needed it in a rush to paid for 2 day shipping. When i installed the two modules, one was bad/not working (ran all troubleshooting and the like).

So I called them, explaining I ordered it "rush" because I needed it rush. He countered with saying he could send me a new one in 5 days and they would pay the shipping, or I could pay for faster shipping myself.

I repeated that I needed it "rush" that's why I ordered it rush in the first place, and I didn't expect to pay to fix an error they made.

He put me on hold and came back saying he could knock of half of the rush shipping to get it to me in 2 days (they pay $17 or a $37 shipping charge) - I still don't think that's fair that I pay $20 to fix their error.

He said he needed a supervisor to approve OWC eating the shipping to get a new (working) module to me, but there were no supervisors available. After some back and fourth, he said they were in the building, just that he couldn't access them (he "didn't have clearance to go into that room").

He took my info and said he would have someone call me back "tomorrow".

Fair enough - We'll see if they stand by their product and service, or if they tell me to shove it. I'll update this once I know what they are willing to do.

UPDATE: OWC called me back the following day. They offered to 2 day air it, which would mean it would take 4-5 more days because of the weekend. After some back and fourth, including telling them I had written this entry and will report back with the outcome, they managed to "make an exception" and send the ram for saturday delivery. So, I will be ordering again from OWC.

Last edited by DisTriBution; Jun 18, 2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: UPDATE
DisTriBution is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:00 PM   #87
braddman
macrumors newbie

Now you guys have me wondering if my late 2009 Macbook will take 16gb. Everything I read says it maxes at 8.
braddman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:51 PM   #88
AdrianK
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddman View Post
Now you guys have me wondering if my late 2009 Macbook will take 16gb. Everything I read says it maxes at 8.
I would trust what you're reading Only 2011 and onward MacBooks (well, they're all Pros) can address 16GB.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:31 PM   #89
kswalker75
macrumors newbie

Rip off!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Other World Computing today announced the debut of new aftermarket RAM upgrades for the new MacBook Pro models released late last month. Options ranging up to 16 GB are available, well beyond Apple's maximum build-to-order offering of 8 GB. OWC offers the following options and prices:

- 4 GB (Replace one existing 2 GB module with a 4 GB module for a total of 6 GB): $59.99
- 8 GB (Replace existing 2 GB modules with 4 GB modules): $112.99
- 12 GB (Replace existing 2 GB modules with one 8 GB module and one 4 GB module): $879.99
- 16 GB (Replace existing 2 GB modules with 8 GB modules): $1599.99

Trade-in rebates of $13 per 2 GB module from Apple can also be applied.

OWC maintains a "MaxRAM" testing lab of Apple machines and has verified that the new MacBook Pros can accept up to 16 GB of RAM.

Article Link: 16 GB RAM Upgrades for New MacBook Pros Now Available
Why would anyone pay these ridiculous prices for memory when you go get the same memory from Crucial.com? I bought the 16GB kit from Crucial for my mid-2012 MacBook Pro for $75 and that was including shipping!!! Crucial has Mac specific memory, even though it really doesnt matter as long as you get the same type such as DDR2 or DDR3.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddman View Post

If you go to the App Store and download the free app called Mactracker, it has the info of every Apple product made. Just go to the MacBook Pro section and find your model, under Memory it will tell you the actual max and the max Apple claims. Handy little tool, it will tell you everything you need to know about your Mac.
kswalker75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:43 PM   #90
Snarl
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswalker75 View Post
Why would anyone pay these ridiculous prices for memory when you go get the same memory from Crucial.com? I bought the 16GB kit from Crucial for my mid-2012 MacBook Pro for $75 and that was including shipping!!! Crucial has Mac specific memory, even though it really doesnt matter as long as you get the same type such as DDR2 or DDR3.

----------

original Post/Price was almost 2 years ago

although it is amazing how much the pricing has dropped..
Snarl is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:46 PM   #91
jjhoekstra
macrumors regular

I do not understand why anybody would want to have 16 Gb RAM. I have 16 Gb and it is utterly useless. Never ever have I seen my rMBP use more than 6-7 Gb. And that is using FCX and compressor and Parallels and Safari and Excel and Word at the same time. Buy 8 Gb and use the money you save for something nice.
And 16 Gb does slow wake-up from deep sleep by 4 seconds or so in comparison with 8 Gb.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:48 PM   #92
kohlson
macrumors regular

This seems like something is wrong. transintl and crucial list this RAM for under $90 (2x8). And macsales.com (OWC) lists it for $99. Is this supposed to be 16x2?
kohlson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:43 PM   #93
Snarl
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhoekstra View Post
I do not understand why anybody would want to have 16 Gb RAM. I have 16 Gb and it is utterly useless. Never ever have I seen my rMBP use more than 6-7 Gb. And that is using FCX and compressor and Parallels and Safari and Excel and Word at the same time. Buy 8 Gb and use the money you save for something nice.
And 16 Gb does slow wake-up from deep sleep by 4 seconds or so in comparison with 8 Gb.
You'd be surprised, just updated my Son's 2011 MacBook Pro to 16GB. He's an illustrator and an animator, not sure of the programs he uses but was easily exceeding 8GB, however mines never come close to 8GB depends what your doing.
Snarl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:09 AM   #94
braddman
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Are you joking? When you use Photoshop and Illustrator with 16gb of RAM Photoshop alone will use over 10gb of the RAM by default. My wife uses both at the same time, alone with about 7 other programs. You know how much ram is free after that for cache, etc? 2gb.

You can't tell me $58.00 for 16gb of RAM is a wasted amount of money. If you are hurting for $58 you wouldn't have an Apple product in the first place.

Just because you don't use 16gb of RAM, you have no idea what people who run Final Cut Pro, Pro Tools, and Adobe products need. No offense but you shouldn't speak for everyone who has a computer.

LOL...Edit, I just noticed you have a retina macbook, and you're complaining about spending $58 on RAM?
braddman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:50 AM   #95
Ctrl2k
macrumors member

Quote:
Not sure what you are talking about but opening mail, safari, excel and running Adobe Premiere and Photoshop puts me way over 16GB of RAM usage.

With 8GB and running Premiere, Mail, and Safari alone I had over 2GB of swap. Modern programs need lots of RAM. Heck, Davinci Resolve needs something like 12GB just to run fully.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:23 PM   #96
1kennymc
macrumors newbie

i dont think so

Last edited by 1kennymc; Dec 30, 2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: :D
1kennymc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:28 PM   #97
mward333
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Some users are also using the computer for research, e.g., for simulations, computations, etc. Often these are done in a relatively small scale on one machine (like a Mac with a lot of RAM) and then sometimes batched out to large computational clusters with thousands of computing cores. Of course, this is perhaps a very small segment of the population, but there are still some of us using the Mac for this purpose.

I routinely use up my Mac's 16 GB of RAM. I plan to put the maximum amount of RAM in the next Mac Pro I buy. I'm waiting for the 2013 refresh. I hope it will increase the max RAM allowed (which is 96 GB at present, if I recall correctly) in the current generation.

Hope that helps!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:56 PM   #98
Dimwhit
macrumors 68000

Man, I just got my 16GB of memory for my MBP17. Bad memory. Computer read it fine, but many beach balls, and the computer would no longer wake up from sleep. Hopefully the replacement works better. First time I can think of that I had a problem with Crucial RAM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:24 PM   #99
wabbit42
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlson View Post
This seems like something is wrong. transintl and crucial list this RAM for under $90 (2x8). And macsales.com (OWC) lists it for $99. Is this supposed to be 16x2?
No, the original post is from almost 2 years ago.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:15 PM   #100
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

on the go video editors should be happy

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion