Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
He definitely does not deserve the title, but so do other people on the list.

Successful businessmen should be excluded from the list. The title should go to someone who has actually "changed the world" or performed some notable selfless act.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
He definitely does not deserve the title, but so do other people on the list.

Successful businessmen should be excluded from the list. The title should go to someone who has actually "changed the world" or performed some notable selfless act.

Politicians should be excluded too because they usually change the world for the worse, not the better.

Fishticks

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
*Yawn*

Just making it easier to see that Time's person of the year just means nothing. Or just maybe biggest advertiser of the year.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
This seems like a hollow argument given the wealth of people around the world that are striving to make it a better place. What about the school girl who was shot in the head by the Taliban for being outspoken about women's rights to education. Now that is someone who is really worthy of praise and their are many others like this I'm sure. Giving this award to some rich guy who decides to give away some of his money or a business guy who is really just doing his job is pointless.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Many wacky people have been nominated in the past. I do not think that Tim Cook will actually come out as the person of the year. I don't think that Tim Cook fits on the list of all other people who have been voted person of the year. To me, Tim Cook winning would be similar to LeBron James winning; stupid and obviously demeaning of the title and the list of previous people who were truly worthy of the title (not all but most).

I don't think a CEO of a public company should be voted unless he has proven to be a part of something much bigger than what his day to day role really entails. I don't "hate" Cook, I don't care much about him one way or the other. He is a stranger to me who runs a company that pushes out products that I like to use. If that gets you on a short list then we need that Dyson dude on there, whoever is responsible for inventing beer/wine/spirits, and so forth. :)

jpadhiyar

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ahmedabad, India
I have to completely agree with @aerok here. Cook is doing a good job but it's not something that 'changed' the face of the world. He didn't put a dent in the universe. The standards, folks. The standards are definitely going down.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
This is not an award or honor. It is not meant to be given to someone for being a hero. The Time Person of the Year is given to the person (or persons) who most influenced events. Past winners have included Hitler and Stalin.and the Ayatollah Khomeini.

Cook and Apple have been significantly impactful and his consideration is fair, although I don't think he should/will win.

Interesting...... given those names, I would argue that Cook is in the running, having unleashed Apple maps on us. ;)

----------

I have to completely agree with @aerok here. Cook is doing a good job but it's not something that 'changed' the face of the world. He didn't put a dent in the universe. The standards, folks. The standards are definitely going down.

Please, Apple Maps changed the world as we used to know it.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
The real person(s) of the year...

should be the teachers of Sandy Hook elementary school. Those, who got with the kids into closets and were quietly singing Christmas songs while next door the carnage happened (this still gets tears in my eyes all the time). Those who gave them lollipops to keep them quiet. And especially those who died protecting "their" kids. Compared to Cook those are real people of the year. :(

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
The Higgs Boson is a candidate for Person of the Year? Last time I checked, the Higgs Boson is a sub-atomic particle. The Mars Rover is on there also.
This is like when Time named Earth "Planet of the Year". What other planets were being considered?

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Never before has someone done so little with so much. It should be Higgs Boson.

The whole award is definitely subjective and opinions will vary from person to person. I accept that you believe differently to me :)

cderry

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2004
Bloomington, IL
lol. Don't know which one is more ridiculous, being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize or Person of the Year.

Every President in the last 80 years has been named the Person of the Year just for existing and winning the election. The exception to that rule is Gerald Ford. He was never Person Of The Year...but he was never actually elected to the Presidency.

CMMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
So let me get this straight. Steve Jobs was never good enough to make the small list. He only created a hugely successful company at age 21, went on to create two more companies, one he sold for millions, the other he sold for billions, returned to his old company and made it the most valuable company in the world with some of the most popular products ever.

But Mark Zuckerberg gets it for creating Facebook, which luckily became popular because it wasn't the first social site and really not very original. Tim makes the list by inheriting a already established company. Do the people at Time Magazine have any credibility? Steve Jobs has done more in a year than either Tim or Mark ever have and dare I say ever will.

I never considered Steve Jobs a great humanitarian, I know he wasn't a very humble person, and I personally didn't think of him as a person of the year either. I know the that the person of the year is not all about being a saint or being charitable, but if the requirement to be Times "Person of the year" is to be an mass murdering tyrant (Hitler, Stalin) or a hardcore dork (Mark) then the recognition is really not that credible.

Sorry Tim, your a good business man, but you are not Person of the year at this time. And Time Magazine, your overall person of the Year list for the majority of the past years Sucks! Barack Obama? Really? 4 years of no progress, no accomplishments. Oh wait, let me correct myself, he did get elected twice for doing really nothing, I guess thats a little surprising.

Last edited:

dru`

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2004
USA
I wish they didn't nominate any CEOs in the list... It should be reserved to actual heroes of the world that actually thrived to make changes to help humanity without any profit-driven intent.

Are you joking? Adolf Hitler was a TIME Person of the Year. Twice, I think. This isn't a hero's list but who made and influenced news.

And, of course, when there's a US presidential election the winner is the de facto choice as happened again this year.

It's really a waste, a bit like Nobel Peace Prizes for newly elected presidents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.