Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenjhee

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
I posted this in the other thread. Seems like it would do good in this one as well.

Anyone else think of trying "Birchwood Casey Aluma Black Touch Up"? Costs about $10 for a bottle.

It is used to touch up Anodized Surfaces on guns. It actually chemically reacts (selenious acid) with the exposed aluminum scratch and makes it black again. From gun reviewers it seems to work pretty well. And doesn't affect the rest of the anodized finish. I wonder how well it will work for our black anodized iphone's.

Again this is different than a Sharpie or even the Birchwood touch up pens (which is paint) that come in matte and gloss black as well. This actually changes the surface of the metal.

My only concern is how it would react to the plastic antenna points if those areas near it were scratched. It comes in a plastic container so maybe it will be fine? I would also probably use painters tape to mask other "vulnerable" areas. If replacement backs weren't so much money I would experiment on it.

Thoughts...?
Originally Posted by Brian N

I used this on a very small ding on the chamfer of my iP5. It worked perfectly. The ding is pretty much undetectable, albeit it was small to begin with. I have used this product on aluminum gun frames numerous times with very good results. Main points are to degrease the surface thouroughly before application. Also I would be very nervous about getting this stuff on any internal electronics, since I believe it is acidic. That said, take reasonable precautions and you should be good to go.

I would post a picture, but there is really nothing to see.

cosmic68

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
I tried the Birchwood gloss pen for chamfered edge-might be my technique, but it didn't look good so rubbed it off. Used a cocktail stick to dab on, but still looked 'gloopy'.
Bit gutted, but getting over it.

iPh0neTy

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2012
Here is what I did to make my scuffed iPhone look good again.

Attachments

• Black iPhone 5 Polished Bezel 2.JPG
    Black iPhone 5 Polished Bezel 2.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,641

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
I hate to beat a dead horse, but it's very disturbing to me that this thread was opened so quickly after the phones release. I bet many people were trying in vain to fix the scratches the phone came out of the box with. It's quite sad. A few months after using no case? Sure, I could see that. You just gotta scratch your head and wonder what went wrong with Apple and the iPhone 5.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Here is the first after pic. Can't see it at all in most light

Stunning before and after pics. I wonder why more people aren't trying this. The cost/benefit ratio seems to be fantastic.

To answer my own question, I doubt more people are trying this because they'd rather get an all-new iphone out of the box. It's fun opening a new box, eh?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.