Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Sa1en
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ukraine
Send a message via Skype™ to Sa1en
Apple TV 3rd Gen Audio intermittent

Hey all!

Today my Apple TV 3rd Gen got a new sick - suddenly it started to play content from everywhere (airplay itunes from iMac, MBA, iPhone, youtube from apple tv, airmirror from macs...) with intermittent of audio:

http://youtu.be/4kcmss_cH_o

Yes, I tried to use it with native TV speakers - same, I checked speakers with USB movie - everything fine. I restarted WIFI Router & Apple TV - problem still alive.

What should I do?! Im confused. Thanks.
__________________
iMac 21.5" 2011 MC309RS\A iPhone 5 White&Silver 16GB Apple TV 3rd Gen
Sa1en is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:25 PM   #2
slothrob
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Have you tried using the optical audio from the aTV, to rule out a bad HDMI port or bad HDMI cable?
slothrob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Sa1en
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ukraine
Send a message via Skype™ to Sa1en
I checked another port - the same picture.
It may be the cable problem, but could it be? Working fine all time and "ba dum tsss!!!" - broke?

PS. Have not any system with optical audio inputs as well as optical audio cabel
__________________
iMac 21.5" 2011 MC309RS\A iPhone 5 White&Silver 16GB Apple TV 3rd Gen
Sa1en is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:23 PM   #4
slothrob
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I had an optical cable fail suddenly, resulting in audio drop-outs, but I haven't had an HDMI cable fail yet.
slothrob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:13 AM   #5
Sa1en
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ukraine
Send a message via Skype™ to Sa1en
Okay, I replaced HDMI cable with good one - same.

But! I found the problem! It's in my LG TV. When its booting with external speakers which is connected via 3.5" for headset - sound is jumping. Heh, I dont know why (its only for HDMI input sound, from USB everything is fine, probably LG proggers not so smart as I though they are).

So, its bit annoying but what to do. Thanks everyone.

I'm missing my speakers, dont have place for good 5.1 system with optical audio and disappointed that apple tv does not have 3.5"...
__________________
iMac 21.5" 2011 MC309RS\A iPhone 5 White&Silver 16GB Apple TV 3rd Gen
Sa1en is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:47 AM   #6
Avatar74
macrumors 65816
 
Avatar74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa1en View Post
Okay, I replaced HDMI cable with good one - same.

But! I found the problem! It's in my LG TV. When its booting with external speakers which is connected via 3.5" for headset - sound is jumping. Heh, I dont know why (its only for HDMI input sound, from USB everything is fine, probably LG proggers not so smart as I though they are).

So, its bit annoying but what to do. Thanks everyone.

I'm missing my speakers, dont have place for good 5.1 system with optical audio and disappointed that apple tv does not have 3.5"...
What do you mean by 3.5".... what kind of connector, specifically?
__________________
"Nature abhors a moron." - H.L. Mencken
Avatar74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:36 PM   #7
Sa1en
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ukraine
Send a message via Skype™ to Sa1en
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar74 View Post
What do you mean by 3.5".... what kind of connector, specifically?
3.5 mm jack I mean, sorry. Like usual in iMac, iPhone and so on.
__________________
iMac 21.5" 2011 MC309RS\A iPhone 5 White&Silver 16GB Apple TV 3rd Gen
Sa1en is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:33 PM   #8
Avatar74
macrumors 65816
 
Avatar74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa1en View Post
3.5 mm jack I mean, sorry. Like usual in iMac, iPhone and so on.
I'm not sure I get your setup... what do you have hooked up to what and using which cables.

e.g. "Mac connected to speakers via 3.5mm phono, Mac connected to TV via HDMI, etc."
__________________
"Nature abhors a moron." - H.L. Mencken
Avatar74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:03 AM   #9
Sa1en
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ukraine
Send a message via Skype™ to Sa1en
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar74 View Post
I'm not sure I get your setup... what do you have hooked up to what and using which cables.

e.g. "Mac connected to speakers via 3.5mm phono, Mac connected to TV via HDMI, etc."
Don't worry, problem is solved and it was related not with Apple device, but with LG TV.

If you interesting, setup is

iPhone (wireless) -> Router -> Apple TV (HDMI) -> LG TV
__________________
iMac 21.5" 2011 MC309RS\A iPhone 5 White&Silver 16GB Apple TV 3rd Gen
Sa1en is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New White Apple Remote wont work with Apple T.V. 3rd gen? rossikool Apple TV and Home Theater 9 Sep 13, 2013 09:11 PM
Can't connect Apple TV 3rd gen to home stereo (need 1st gen?) spicynujac Apple TV and Home Theater 4 Dec 17, 2012 10:16 AM
If you purchased a new ipad(3rd Gen) in less than 30 days, call apple for 4th Gen! kjay80 iPad 25 Oct 25, 2012 11:43 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC