Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Don't even bother buying iWork, save some money and buy MS Office. iWork is pretty ****** unless you don't care so much about text processing and stuff.

Personal opinion.

iWork is awesome. Could do with an update, but nonetheless, awesome.

Also, in what realm does Office cost less than iWork?

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Is there a good app that'll organize tons of my photos labeled DM88393 and random numbers? Lol

It's be nice to automatically rename them by date or something to that sort.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Must have Productivity Apps:

1Password (Password, Form filling and Identity manager)

Alfred (App Launcher)

Dropbox (Cloud based document storage and sync App)

Textexpander (expands keyboard shortcuts into frequently-used text and pictures)

Skitch (Screen Capture and annotation)

Evernote (notes, sync files , save webpages, and share your ideas with friends and colleagues.)

DragonDrop (Utility to make moving files between folders much easier)

Moom (Tame those OS X Application windows)

Tweetbot (Twitter Client)

OmniFocus (Task Manager)

PDFPen ( 90% of the functionality of Adobe Acrobat at a fraction of the cost)

----------

Is there a good app that'll organize tons of my photos labeled DM88393 and random numbers? Lol

It's be nice to automatically rename them by date or something to that sort.

I would recommend Apple Aperture as you can rename the files when you import them. I am sure Lightroom has similar functionality, but I have never used that one.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Carbon Copy Cloner
Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC), the latest update is even better. :cool::cool::cool:
Disk Warrior :cool::cool::cool:
Onyx :cool::cool:
smcFanControl :cool::cool:
gfxCardStatus (for systems with 2 gfx cards) :cool::cool:
Office for Mac (necessary evil for compatibility with the Windows fans) 4:eek:s
Max and MacMP3Gain (file converter and gain control for working with music files) :cool::cool:

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
For renaming large numbers of files/folders, I use Name Mangler and I've heard good things about NameChanger.
Does it let me rename photos by date instead of the random numbers DSC89797 etc? I'll check it out

----------

Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC), the latest update is even better. :cool::cool::cool:
Disk Warrior :cool::cool::cool:
Onyx :cool::cool:
smcFanControl :cool::cool:
gfxCardStatus (for systems with 2 gfx cards) :cool::cool:
Office for Mac (necessary evil for compatibility with the Windows fans) 4:eek:s
Max and MacMP3Gain (file converter and gain control for working with music files) :cool::cool:
Isnt Onyx something like CCleaner for windows? I thought these type of maintenance apps are useless on mac and not really required, does it make things snappier?

TouchArchive

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
IL
Here's my list:
1.iWork
2.Mac Office 2011 Full
3.1Password
4.Pixelmator
5.xCode
5.OmniWeb
6.Dropbox
7.Chrome
8.Pimp your screen
9.iStat Menus
10.Day One

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
Hmm

Apple Remote Desktop
or JollyFastVNC
MediaRage
PathFinder
FileMaker Pro
A Better Finder Rename
AirServer
QuicKeys
SourceTree
Growl
CockTail
Pacifist

There's some that were missed

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Does it let me rename photos by date instead of the random numbers DSC89797 etc?
It has many methods of renaming, including sequential names with a prefix or suffix, finding and replacing text strings, etc.
Isnt Onyx something like CCleaner for windows? I thought these type of maintenance apps are useless on mac and not really required, does it make things snappier?
Such apps are certainly not required for good performance. There are occasions when some of the functions are helpful for resolving specific issues. in those instances, OnyX is the only such app I recommend.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
It has many methods of renaming, including sequential names with a prefix or suffix, finding and replacing text strings, etc.

Such apps are certainly not required for good performance. There are occasions when some of the functions are helpful for resolving specific issues. in those instances, OnyX is the only such app I recommend.

Got it :p

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Personal opinion.

As an office drone, I've gotten away with using iWork for years in an Office-dominated environment. I love it and people are always blown away by the quality of what iWork produces.

I don't do much with Excel, and from my understanding that's where the two products diverge the most and where Numbers just isn't designed to do what some people force Excel into doing.

I've seen some frightening things done in VBA in Excel... :eek:

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
I see a lot of suggestions I completely agree with. Here are my two suggestions that I don't think have been suggested yet:

Fantastical (I never have to open Calendar again!)
DragonDrop

Does Fantastical allow you to change dates on events by seeing and clicking on a calendar? Or is it the same as that annoying iCal where you have to manually enter the date by hand?

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
As an office drone, I've gotten away with using iWork for years in an Office-dominated environment. I love it and people are always blown away by the quality of what iWork produces.

I don't do much with Excel, and from my understanding that's where the two products diverge the most and where Numbers just isn't designed to do what some people force Excel into doing.

I've seen some frightening things done in VBA in Excel... :eek:

You could not be more correct. Everytime I open an Office program, it just blows me away at how much better iWork is (imo). Numbers doesn't do everything Excel does, but it's not supposed to be an Excel clone. It has an entirely different philosophy towards spreadsheets, whilst also maintaining limited Excel support. Excel is not the be all and end all of spreadsheets, just because it's ubiquitous. Numbers does a bunch of cool things that Excel does not.

As far as Keynote goes, I don't think I've met anybody that uses both who prefers Powerpoint, Keynote is the best presentation software on the market. Pages is also utterly fantastic. The next version of iWork, which I hope comes soon, is just going to narrow that compatibility loss even further whilst also adding some awesome iWork magic.

Rockoar

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
Personal opinion.

In none.
I use it word processing applications constantly and believe me, if you want to get something done and quickly then Word is the best solution. Maybe for English speakers Pages can do the trick, but for French speakers Pages sucks big time when it comes to French style. For instance, in French whenever you put ":" there's a space between the word and the two-points, "for example:" (English), "pour exemple : " (French). When using Word the space is inserted automatically, but that doesn't happens when you use Pages. Thats a tiny thing that can get really annoying when considering all the other things that aren't automated in Pages as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.