Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple, Microsoft and Google are all potential buyers for home automation firm R2 Studios, part of the id8 Group founded by Blake Krikorian, according to the Wall Street Journal. He was the founder of Sling Media, makers of the SlingBox that was later sold to EchoStar/Dish Network.

R2 Studios sole public product is an Android client for Crestron whole-home control systems. Crestron released its own clients for the iPhone and iPad several years ago.

crestron.jpg
R2 Studios, which is developing home-media and automation technology, has remained largely mum about its plans but last year released an app that turns Android phones into touch panels for controlling heating and lighting systems wirelessly. R2 Studios also holds some patents related to controlling electronic devices and interfaces.

The status of the discussion and terms under consideration remain unclear. A deal may not happen and some talks may be preliminary.
The WSJ reports that R2 also owns some patents related to "controlling electronic devices and interfaces", in addition to its existing app work. R2 could fit in nicely with Apple's rumored expansion plans, including its efforts to remake television viewing.

The market for home automation has been seeing a lot of activity recently, with former Apple executive Tony Fadell's company releasing the Nest thermostat last year. AT&T has announced plans to get into the home automation market as well.

Article Link: Apple in Talks to Acquire Home Automation Firm R2 Studios

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Would love to have that capability on my iPhone and iPad! My Harmony remote is not bad, but it could do so much more.

ollyb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
This is good. X10 is like a bajillion years old and still hardly anyone uses it. We need something better.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
That's what you call inserting a commercial into your demo. Could have have name dropped more companies and products. Let's see...Android Android Android Galaxy, Tab, Dell, HTC, yadda yadda yadda.

We get it...they're funding you but try and make it a bit less obvious next time mmm'kay?

That being said I'm encouraged that Apple wants to get into more of the Home Auto biz. This area needs that next level push to take it mainstream. Apple's got much of the pieces together.

Whole lineup on Bluetooth 4.0 (save for the Mac Pro) - Check

Airplay gaining momentum - Check

Low cost server (Mac mini) - Check

Mobile platform - double check

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Huh...

If Apple really wanted to take over the world they'd buy out Nuance. Those folks have some serious tech, but more importantly have serious talent that is bringing the future closer.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Too expensive

Ain't that the truth. $150+ Billion doesn't buy what it used to, I guess.

Maybe Apple thinks they have something to bring home automation more into the mainstream? Makes me wonder what they think they have to offer grow what is an awfully niche market?

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Home automation is a great area for expansion. Think what Apple has done so far has been life-changing? Think of what they could do with home automation.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Ain't that the truth. $150+ Billion doesn't buy what it used to, I guess.

Maybe Apple thinks they have something to bring home automation more into the mainstream? Makes me wonder what they think they have to offer grow what is an awfully niche market?

Nuance would take near 10 billion to acquire. Much of their business is in IVR system for corporations and not really something Apple would want. I agree their patents and IP on voice enabled tech is top class but at this point it's likely cheaper (far cheaper) to license their tech and not buy the cow.

As far as home automation is concerned we need something that is pretty extensible.

Ideally it would support Zigbee, Zwave, Insteon and other plug in formats. Maybe it would be even better to spearhead a more sophisticated control protocol that works well via wired or wireless.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
I don't know why this hasn't happened sooner. It should be much simpler to set up a home so that you can control lights, locks, oven, thermostat, etc. from your phone.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Is that an actual Samsung phone model in the foreground? An iPhone 4 clone right down to the grilles! “Just enough” different for people to pretend it’s coincidence. I felt sure Samsung wouldn’t bother cloning any more Apple products so closely.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Are there any companies out there today offering an affordable, easy-to-setup and use home automation system? I'm talking about opening blinds, turning on/off devices and appliances, locking doors, turning on the shower in the morning to warm up, managing climate, etc. all in one package?

I feel like this is an area that any of these companies might be able to get into. Apple seems the most likely to succeed due to their consumer hardware chops (you're going to need a lot of devices to integrate into the home to make it all work)?

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Are there any companies out there today offering an affordable, easy-to-setup and use home automation system? I'm talking about opening blinds, turning on/off devices and appliances, locking doors, turning on the shower in the morning to warm up, managing climate, etc. all in one package?

I feel like this is an area that any of these companies might be able to get into. Apple seems the most likely to succeed due to their consumer hardware chops (you're going to need a lot of devices to integrate into the home to make it all work)?

Not sure, but I know I want it. It's the future, for sure.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
I don't know why this hasn't happened sooner. It should be much simpler to set up a home so that you can control lights, locks, oven, thermostat, etc. from your phone.

A lot of this stuff is not consumer friendly at all. For much of it people use an electrician and specialized hardware.

Sure, many can replace a themostat, but where are you going to control an oven? Through the oven? The Socket? The panel?

And wireless door locks? Sounds like a very niche product. Lighting control, again where, at the switch? Panel? Bulb?

Unfortunately, while nearly everything in my house is 15 years old or less, I would say that in many cases the technology driving it is either 30 years old+ or incremental improvements on 30 year old+ tech.

Whatever they do, it will likely be a play on media, followed potentially by energy monitoring.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
Assuming this is all true...

Maybe the TV can be the central brain for the home automation. Either way, watch out Honeywell and DSC, competition is coming.

After Apple is done with Houses, I wonder if they will buy a car company?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.