Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:56 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple in Talks to Acquire Home Automation Firm R2 Studios

Apple, Microsoft and Google are all potential buyers for home automation firm R2 Studios, part of the id8 Group founded by Blake Krikorian, according to the Wall Street Journal. He was the founder of Sling Media, makers of the SlingBox that was later sold to EchoStar/Dish Network.

R2 Studios sole public product is an Android client for Crestron whole-home control systems. Crestron released its own clients for the iPhone and iPad several years ago.

Quote:
R2 Studios, which is developing home-media and automation technology, has remained largely mum about its plans but last year released an app that turns Android phones into touch panels for controlling heating and lighting systems wirelessly. R2 Studios also holds some patents related to controlling electronic devices and interfaces.

The status of the discussion and terms under consideration remain unclear. A deal may not happen and some talks may be preliminary.
The WSJ reports that R2 also owns some patents related to "controlling electronic devices and interfaces", in addition to its existing app work. R2 could fit in nicely with Apple's rumored expansion plans, including its efforts to remake television viewing.

The market for home automation has been seeing a lot of activity recently, with former Apple executive Tony Fadell's company releasing the Nest thermostat last year. AT&T has announced plans to get into the home automation market as well.

Article Link: Apple in Talks to Acquire Home Automation Firm R2 Studios
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:57 PM   #2
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

When Siri turns into Jarvis.
gmanist1000 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:06 PM   #3
Jaro65
macrumors 68040

Send a message via Skype™ to Jaro65
Would love to have that capability on my iPhone and iPad! My Harmony remote is not bad, but it could do so much more.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:08 PM   #4
ollyb
macrumors member

This is good. X10 is like a bajillion years old and still hardly anyone uses it. We need something better.
ollyb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:08 PM   #5
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

That's what you call inserting a commercial into your demo. Could have have name dropped more companies and products. Let's see...Android Android Android Galaxy, Tab, Dell, HTC, yadda yadda yadda.

We get it...they're funding you but try and make it a bit less obvious next time mmm'kay?

That being said I'm encouraged that Apple wants to get into more of the Home Auto biz. This area needs that next level push to take it mainstream. Apple's got much of the pieces together.

Whole lineup on Bluetooth 4.0 (save for the Mac Pro) - Check

Airplay gaining momentum - Check

Low cost server (Mac mini) - Check

Mobile platform - double check
nuckinfutz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:08 PM   #6
slffl
macrumors 65816

If Shark Tank has taught me anything, it's that it's all about the patents.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:09 PM   #7
Drumjim85
macrumors 68020

If Apple thinks the TV is a hobby, what would they consider this? I don't see it happening.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:10 PM   #8
Jaro65
macrumors 68040

Send a message via Skype™ to Jaro65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumjim85 View Post
If Apple thinks the TV is a hobby, what would they consider this? I don't see it happening.
But Tim recently stated in his Forbes interview that they have an intense interest in this hobby.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:10 PM   #9
Yujenisis
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Yujenisis
Huh...

If Apple really wanted to take over the world they'd buy out Nuance. Those folks have some serious tech, but more importantly have serious talent that is bringing the future closer.
Yujenisis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:12 PM   #10
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yujenisis View Post
Huh...

If Apple really wanted to take over the world they'd buy out Nuance. Those folks have some serious tech, but more importantly have serious talent that is bringing the future closer.
Too expensive
nuckinfutz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:16 PM   #11
Yujenisis
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Yujenisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Too expensive
Ain't that the truth. $150+ Billion doesn't buy what it used to, I guess.

Maybe Apple thinks they have something to bring home automation more into the mainstream? Makes me wonder what they think they have to offer grow what is an awfully niche market?
Yujenisis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:18 PM   #12
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Home automation is a great area for expansion. Think what Apple has done so far has been life-changing? Think of what they could do with home automation.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:18 PM   #13
Benjamins
macrumors 6502a

You know who Apple should buy?
Nest.
Benjamins is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:21 PM   #14
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Ain't that the truth. $150+ Billion doesn't buy what it used to, I guess.

Maybe Apple thinks they have something to bring home automation more into the mainstream? Makes me wonder what they think they have to offer grow what is an awfully niche market?
Nuance would take near 10 billion to acquire. Much of their business is in IVR system for corporations and not really something Apple would want. I agree their patents and IP on voice enabled tech is top class but at this point it's likely cheaper (far cheaper) to license their tech and not buy the cow.

As far as home automation is concerned we need something that is pretty extensible.

Ideally it would support Zigbee, Zwave, Insteon and other plug in formats. Maybe it would be even better to spearhead a more sophisticated control protocol that works well via wired or wireless.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:22 PM   #15
chrisbru
macrumors 6502a

I don't know why this hasn't happened sooner. It should be much simpler to set up a home so that you can control lights, locks, oven, thermostat, etc. from your phone.
chrisbru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:26 PM   #16
Aeolius
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Makes me wonder what they think they have to offer grow what is an awfully niche market?
With emerging products like Twine , Nest , and hue , coupled with a myriad of app-enabled accessories it's no wonder Apple has started to take notice of the home automation segment.

Granted, we already have solutions such as INSTEON + Indigo but competition is a good thing.
Aeolius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:27 PM   #17
slicecom
macrumors 68000

iHome.
slicecom is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:27 PM   #18
etarip
macrumors newbie

Apple should buy Control4. That would be a nice fit
etarip is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:29 PM   #19
Aeolius
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamins View Post
You know who Apple should buy?
Nest.
or perhaps Leap Motion
Aeolius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:30 PM   #20
nagromme
macrumors G4

Is that an actual Samsung phone model in the foreground? An iPhone 4 clone right down to the grilles! “Just enough” different for people to pretend it’s coincidence. I felt sure Samsung wouldn’t bother cloning any more Apple products so closely.
nagromme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:31 PM   #21
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicecom View Post
iHome.
iHomeButtons
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:33 PM   #22
Patriot24
macrumors 68000

Are there any companies out there today offering an affordable, easy-to-setup and use home automation system? I'm talking about opening blinds, turning on/off devices and appliances, locking doors, turning on the shower in the morning to warm up, managing climate, etc. all in one package?

I feel like this is an area that any of these companies might be able to get into. Apple seems the most likely to succeed due to their consumer hardware chops (you're going to need a lot of devices to integrate into the home to make it all work)?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:34 PM   #23
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot24 View Post
Are there any companies out there today offering an affordable, easy-to-setup and use home automation system? I'm talking about opening blinds, turning on/off devices and appliances, locking doors, turning on the shower in the morning to warm up, managing climate, etc. all in one package?

I feel like this is an area that any of these companies might be able to get into. Apple seems the most likely to succeed due to their consumer hardware chops (you're going to need a lot of devices to integrate into the home to make it all work)?
Not sure, but I know I want it. It's the future, for sure.
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:39 PM   #24
pacalis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbru View Post
I don't know why this hasn't happened sooner. It should be much simpler to set up a home so that you can control lights, locks, oven, thermostat, etc. from your phone.
A lot of this stuff is not consumer friendly at all. For much of it people use an electrician and specialized hardware.

Sure, many can replace a themostat, but where are you going to control an oven? Through the oven? The Socket? The panel?

And wireless door locks? Sounds like a very niche product. Lighting control, again where, at the switch? Panel? Bulb?

Unfortunately, while nearly everything in my house is 15 years old or less, I would say that in many cases the technology driving it is either 30 years old+ or incremental improvements on 30 year old+ tech.

Whatever they do, it will likely be a play on media, followed potentially by energy monitoring.
pacalis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:41 PM   #25
jamesnajera
macrumors 6502

Assuming this is all true...

Maybe the TV can be the central brain for the home automation. Either way, watch out Honeywell and DSC, competition is coming.

After Apple is done with Houses, I wonder if they will buy a car company?
jamesnajera is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion