Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

myscriptcalculator.jpg
MyScript Calculator from Vision Objects has been available on Android devices for several months now, but as of today, the math app that lets users handwrite mathematical expressions is available for iPhone and iPad as well (via Mac4Ever).

Instead of typing equations into the app, MyScript Calculator accepts written input. Write out an equation with a finger or stylus and the app reads the handwriting. It will translate written work into numbers and digital text, and then solve the problem.

The whole process is quick, intuitive, and easy. It's perfect for small calculations or more complex mathematical equations, supporting the following operations:
-Basic operations: +, -, x, ÷, +/-, 1/x
-Misc. Operations: %, ?, x!, |x|
-Powers/Exponentials: ex, xy , x2
-Brackets: ( )
-Trigonometry: cos, sin, tan
-Inverse trigonometry: acos, asin, atan
-Logarithms: ln , log
-Constants: ?, e.
MyScript Calculator works with both the iPhone and the iPad, and it is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Math App MyScript Calculator Available for iOS, Accepts Handwritten Input

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Not compatible with my iPod Touch 2g :(
But looks like an awesome app though!

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
This may be the first app I've seen developed for Android first. Really nice concept and execution.

(please don't start a flamewar)

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Requires iOS 6? Ah, poo.

Seriously, though, this is the first thing that's seriously tempting me to upgrade to iOS 6, and lose my JB (which I keep simply for the usefulness of being able to access/write data on SD cards using iFile - the one significant shortcoming of iOS, at this point). Well, I'll have to think on it...

allamoureux07

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
I don't see the point in this, beyond the 3rd grade. If it solved functions or had integral/derivative support then maybe it would be something worth trying.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I don't see the point in this, beyond the 3rd grade. If it solved functions or had integral/derivative support then maybe it would be something worth trying.

And what about mod, floor, ceiling, round, etc? It'd be nice if I didn't have to do so many equations on paper while thinking out equations used while programming.

markdj

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
You don't know name of symbols

Whoever wrote your article doesn't know the names of mathematical symbols.

() are parentheses not brackets.

[] are brackets.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
@ markdj

nice little tool :) and for anything language related... brackets in german is "Klammer"

[] eckige Klammer
{} geschweifte Klammer
() runde Klammer (oder einfach nur Klammer)

@ Klammeraffe ;-)

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
And what about mod, floor, ceiling, round, etc? It'd be nice if I didn't have to do so many equations on paper while thinking out equations used while programming.

By the time you've recognisably written 'ceiling' on an iphone screen the moment has probably gone.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
By the time you've recognisably written 'ceiling' on an iphone screen the moment has probably gone.

There's a symbol for it... surround the value in absolute value bars and put serifs pointing inward at the top:

⌈x⌉

It should be pretty easy to draw that recognizably.

MacMan86

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
UK
Whoever wrote your article doesn't know the names of mathematical symbols.

() are parentheses not brackets.

[] are brackets.

Please try to acknowledge that there is a world outside the US, where some of the words you use to describe things are different to the words others use to describe things...

In the UK at least:

() are brackets, or round brackets or yes, some people use parentheses.

[] are square brackets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.