Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Just walked into my Apple store and picked one up (black iPad mini 16GB WiFi)...the iPad 4 might be going back...iPad mini is fantastic!

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I made the same choice.

Now i've had the mini for a while I can't see ever going back to the bigger iPad.

Amazing device.

acwyau

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
I bought the iPad 4 with the express purpose of selling it when the retina Mini comes out. I just thought that it would retain more resale value than a Mini, as the 4 has more future-proofed specs.

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
iPad mini fits in my white coat, and its so light.
I returned my iPad 4. Not looking back.

I guess it depends on the consumers needs. I don't play games or take photos. I have an iPhone 5 and i'm not retina spoiled. Its very difficult to see the reduced resolution unless I look real close and do a side by side comparison with my iPhone.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I returned my iPad 4. Not looking back.

I don't play games or take photos. I have an iPhone 5 and i'm not retina spoiled.

It would seem to me that the mini is perfect for playing games. Why exactly are people using the mini? The small size isn't as conducive to typing or reading web pages.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Why not keep both?

My Mini is my travel device. My iPad is my home device. The Mini is what I use in the airport, in the car, at the coffee shop. The iPad is what I use at home, in the office, in the hotel room.

The whole specs argument is somewhat disingenuous. For the Mini, it's all about form factor. Think about it like you would comparing a desktop to a laptop. Of course the desktop has better specs. But you can't put the desktop in your briefcase. Or use Steve Jobs trucks/cars, heavy lifting allegory.

Enjoy your Mini!

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
The whole specs argument is somewhat disingenuous. For the Mini, it's all about form factor.

You are absolutely right! I've been trying since the original iPad's release to get my mother to get one. She simply does not do enough to justify toting around her MBP 13", and finds all the "overhead" of a full OS a bit overwhelming.

But she found the standard iPad's size and weight coupled with the tablet form factor to be less comfortable to use than her laptop rebuffed my attempts to introduce her to what I perceived as the iPad's more ideal computing environment for her needs.

When the iPad mini came out she went out and bought one for herself. She has been completely satisfied, with the exception of the shaky BoA app, which she uses daily...can't blame Apple for that! She takes the mini with her everywhere and is probably one of only a handful of people who uses the camera constantly. Only now, I think she is regretting not waiting until the cellular version was released.

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY
It would seem to me that the mini is perfect for playing games. Why exactly are people using the mini? The small size isn't as conducive to typing or reading web pages.

I use mine mainly in the hospital when I'm rounding - placing orders and notes (it's actually pretty good for thumb typing when you split the keyboard).
I do stream videos, espn games etc, read newspapers and magazines, but the only game I have loaded is solitaire.
Now my iphone is a different story - I have like 4 or 5 games (angry birds, golf, infinity blade 2, ski safari and words with friends).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.