Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Just made a deal with a guy at work who has some old power pc's. We were talking about Apple products and he mentioned that he has an iMac G5 that he doesn't use and when asked if he'd sell it, we agreed on a gaming headset that I have that I don't even use anymore (razer carcharias) and then also mentioned that he has a non-functioning iMac G4 that he'd give me for free.

Score! :D

Apparently the G4 doesn't work quite right, super slow boot time and random crashing after that. Also, system preferences doesn't load at all and will crash the system. Crossing my fingers that I can salvage it. Super excited!

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Not 100% sure on the exact models. I haven't picked them up from his place just yet.

He said that he had tried tried troubleshooting the G4 before and said the kernel panic errors he was getting indicated the hard drive was at fault but he tried 4 seperate drives with the same outcome. I'll definitely try reinstalling the OS and might try some new ram if I can get some at the right price.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Not 100% sure on the exact models. I haven't picked them up from his place just yet.

He said that he had tried tried troubleshooting the G4 before and said the kernel panic errors he was getting indicated the hard drive was at fault but he tried 4 seperate drives with the same outcome. I'll definitely try reinstalling the OS and might try some new ram if I can get some at the right price.

Sounds like an issue with the HD controller to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.