Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
We edit videos all day long and display them at the same time as a set of photos for our customers. Right now, we burn both to disk and play them simultaneously using DVD decks.

It would be nice to play them from one or more servers so that we have more control over the photo slideshow and do not require the slow/tedious step of burning them to optical disks. It is also wasteful as some disks are not purchased.

Obviously, the video stream has audio and the photo stream would not. Is it
possible play them simultaneously from one server?

Another option might be to have just a photo server and then stream the video from our two editing workstations. It might not slow our editing down much with the latest multi-core/multi-threading tech. I suppose this would require something like an HDMI switch for the viewing monitor and two streams as well now that I think about it.

Any thoughts or suggestions on accomplishing this process would be appreciated.

Last edited:

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
We edit videos all day long and display them at the same time as a set of photos for our customers. Right now, we burn both to disk and play them simultaneously using DVD decks.

It would be nice to play them from one or more servers so that we have more control over the photo slideshow and do not require the slow/tedious step of burning them to optical disks. It is also wasteful as some disks are not purchased.

Obviously, the video stream has audio and the photo stream would not. Is it
possible play them simultaneously from one server?

Another option might be to have just a photo server and then stream the video from our two editing workstations. It might not slow our editing down much with the latest multi-core/multi-threading tech. I suppose this would require something like an HDMI switch for the viewing monitor and two streams as well now that I think about it.

Any thoughts or suggestions on accomplishing this process would be appreciated.

Couple of second hand Apple TV 2? Cheap and cheerful.

ShMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
So, I just play from iTunes to the Apple TV device and another display stream is not necessary? That sounds great. Can I have more than
one instance of iTunes running and transmitting at the same time from
the same machine?

I was hoping to be able to use any slideshow program I wanted or even
write my own custom show. Maybe iPhoto/iTunes will be versatile enough.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.