Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steevie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
I purchased the Gunmetal color. Overall I like this bumper case. It ships with a front Ultra-Clear screen shield, a 3-pc back shield (glossy over the glass and satin over the aluminum). It also includes three different color jelly home buttons.

I really like the front and back protectors this are included. To me the Ultra-Clear is like not having a screen shield installed at all.

This case is a snug fit 2-pc bumper. It can be a little challenging getting the outer band seated correctly, but not too difficult. It's got great lay-on-the-table protection both front and back. IMO the case looks great and allows the back of the phone to be seen. It also feels like the phone will fair well in a drop (haven't tested this) and I think I will be less likely to drop my phone with the extra grip on the edges this case provides.

One issue I have is the hole for the headphone jack doesn't accommodate some 3rd party jacks. Because of this, when I need to plug in other headphones or a cassette adapter in the car, I have to remove the case.

I carry my phone in my front pocket. On occasion when pulling the phone from my pocket the outer band has slipped from the inner band. When this occurs it requires a quick adjustment, insuring it's all in alignment.

Sorry bro but i think thats the regular Neo Hybrid and not the Slim version.

Heres a thread where someone compares the slim to a photive https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1509545/

Last edited:

Ring Leader

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2012
Is anyone else having the corner slip issue? I started a separate thread comparing my slim to the photive and there have been a couple comments saying their slim slips off. Personally i havent had the problem even if i purposely try to make it happen. I'm pulling it out by the corner and wear slim jeans (not super skinny)

tsturbo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2008
Is anyone else having the corner slip issue? I started a separate thread comparing my slim to the photive and there have been a couple comments saying their slim slips off. Personally i havent had the problem even if i purposely try to make it happen. I'm pulling it out by the corner and wear slim jeans (not super skinny)

It appears to affect the gunmetal color from what I have read so far?

ThunderApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
It appears to affect the gunmetal color from what I have read so far?

It's been said so far that it's been happening to the gunmetal only. Everyone else with different color seems to not have this problem. It might be a defect of the gunmetal seeing as it was the first one to roll out the production line for this line. I ordered the metal slate and it will be coming tomorrow so I'll post up if I get this issue.

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
I purchased the Gunmetal color.
DSC00009_zpsdf702b35.jpg

Gunmetal goes well with silver.

img1299jpg2.jpg

Can someone explain to me why the SGP 3-piece back protector is raised around the apple logo and lettering of the black iPhone 5 and not the white?

I have an SGP ultra mix coming today for my white iPhone 5. I honestly don't want it to be raised around those areas (I'd rather return it), so I am trying to figure out if it was the install, slight differences in manufacturing between iPhones, etc.

My iPhone 5 doesn't seem to have these areas raised? :confused:

Last edited:

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
Can anyone with experience comment? Don't want to try to put this on if I don't stand a chance :D

ThunderApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Can someone explain to me why the SGP 3-piece back protector is raised around the apple logo and lettering of the black iPhone 5 and not the white?

I have an SGP ultra mix coming today for my white iPhone 5. I honestly don't want it to be raised around those areas (I'd rather return it), so I am trying to figure out if it was the install, slight differences in manufacturing between iPhones, etc.

It is raised on EVERY iPhone. There is no exception. You hardly see it on the white one because..well..it's white. If I were you I would get a phantomskin. Wet installs are the only way not to have that bubble raised on the back.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

The silver iPhone there is mine, it has Ghost Armor protectors I got long before the SGP Hybrid. The SGP ones are still in box.

Ive been told wet applications like ghost armor do better than the dry applications like SGP over the engraved features.

It probably has nothing to do with silver vs slate iPhone.

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
Anyone know how long it takes Spigen (SGP) to ship/process the item? I ordered this case in mint yesterday (Friday) at 12:44pm PST

KapitanIksrog

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Quick Review

I ordered the Neo Hybrid EX Slim in Metal Blue late Monday night. It arrived today. Overall I am very pleased with it and feel that it is an upgrade over the Neo Hybrid Vivid I used on my 4S.

First off, I ordered during the Holiday Special period. I expected an extra screen film or something of the like. I was surprised to find a Kuel H10 stylus ($12.99) and a $7.99 gift card enclosed. Certainly a nice addition.

The Neo Hybrid itself was beautifully packaged to the point that it almost makes me feel ok about buying a bumper style case for $31.99.:D The case was noticeably more difficult to get on than the 4S versions that my wife and I both used. By no means was it a significant effort; I just noticed that it was definitely a much tighter fit. My wife an i both experienced the bottom corners of the 4S version "slipping" off when being pulled from a pocket, etc.. It was always a quick re-adjust and was more annoying than anything else. We enjoy this style case enough to overlook that flaw. It appears that that flaw has been somewhat remedied with the tighter fit. It takes significantly more effort to make the bottom corners slip.

The buttons are responsive and raised just the right amount. There is an audible "click" when pushed. It is very thin and barely adds any bulk to the phone. The cutouts for the ports all look great. The headphone plug has been ever so slightly enlarged. My Klipsch x10i's now fit! They did not on the 4S version. My UE700's still do not fit unfortunately :(

Last, the color really made me happy. I was waiting and waiting for the Metal Slate color to be available and gave in hours before it was! I opted for the Metal Blue and hoped it wouldn't be too "loud." The color is definitely affected by the light in your environment. As you can see from the pictures, it looks almost a match to my MBP. I can assure you it is Blue and shows it much more under different light. In my opinion it is stunning.

Overall, my iPhone 5 case search has ended with this one. The fit and finish are fantastic and it really adds to the design of the iPhone 5 in my opinion. My only negatives that I can think of are the size of the headphone cut-out (I'd love to see Spigen release a 3.5mm adapter) and that additional "frame" pieces aren't available. I'm sure that time will come.

(another note: the case came with front and back protector films and 3 home button stickers. I have not used or tested these but will at some point)

Attachments

• IMG_1193.JPG
    IMG_1193.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 281
  • IMG_1196.JPG
    IMG_1196.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 258
  • IMG_1197.JPG
    IMG_1197.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1198.JPG
    IMG_1198.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1199.JPG
    IMG_1199.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 249

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
So the UE700 headphones don't fit with the case in? :/

edit: do you get a shipping notification from them when the item is shipped? I'm hoping to receive it by Wednesday or Thursday, live in NorCal and they ship form SoCal...

Last edited:

KapitanIksrog

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
So the UE700 headphones don't fit with the case in? :/

edit: do you get a shipping notification from them when the item is shipped? I'm hoping to receive it by Wednesday or Thursday, live in NorCal and they ship form SoCal...

I ordered around 9PM EST on 12/17 and received a ship notification on 12/18 at 1:35 PM EST. I live in New Hampshire and used standard shipping so I was happy with 4 days door to door especially this time of year.

The UE700's were so close to a fit. I just took a pen knife to them and stripped about 1/16" of the black material that was in the way. It came off really easily and cleanly and now they fit perfectly. I really didn't want to do that but now that I did, I am glad I did.

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
I ordered around 9PM EST on 12/17 and received a ship notification on 12/18 at 1:35 PM EST.

The UE700's were so close to a fit. I just took a pen knife to them and stripped about 1/16" of the black material that was in the way. It came off really easily and cleanly and now they fit perfectly. I really didn't want to do that but now that I did, I am glad I did.

Damn.. Maybe I should have ordered earlier on Friday, was debating if I really want it or not, ended up ordering before 1pm where they should have processed the order but I guess not.

Guess I'll have to strip some off the UE700 to get it to fit... which I rather not, might try to look for an adapter if so.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
They shouldn't call that slim. Seems like a bulky bumper to me.

Agree 100%. I am returning the Linear EX Slim that I got today which is basically the same as the Neo except without the inner plastic. It made the iPhone 5 uncomfortable (for me) to hold in terms of width. It made one hand access to the upper corners more difficult. I posted this pic in the Caze thread but will include it here just to give an idea.

If anyone with experience with both the Neo and Linear (slim) chime in to confirm or deny my comparison, please let me know. A shame that these cases are as thick as they are as I enjoyed both (Linear and Neo) on my 4s.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356238029.932790.jpg

Last edited:

KapitanIksrog

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Looks like the buttons are now black instead of grey?

There is contrast between the black band and the buttons but it is not much. I'd say they are now a medium/dark gray (maybe trying to mimic "slate"?). Definitely an improvement over past models.

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Returned my Neo Hybrid EX Slim. I use a ProClip holder for my iPhone 5. You insert the iPhone 5's lightning to USB cable into the ProClip and it becomes an active / charging holder.

With the Neo Hybrid EX Slim on, the iPhone would no longer dock all the way / the lightning connector would no longer insert all the way.

Didn't have this problem with the Neo Hybrid EX. I only ordered the slim because I don't see the regular Neo Hybrid EX on their site anymore and I needed a new silicone piece since mine is all discolored already.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Returned my Neo Hybrid EX Slim. I use a ProClip holder for my iPhone 5. You insert the iPhone 5's lightning to USB cable into the ProClip and it becomes an active / charging holder.

With the Neo Hybrid EX Slim on, the iPhone would no longer dock all the way / the lightning connector would no longer insert all the way.

Didn't have this problem with the Neo Hybrid EX. I only ordered the slim because I don't see the regular Neo Hybrid EX on their site anymore and I needed a new silicone piece since mine is all discolored already.

Go black for porous handheld materials.

oneapple

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
+1 on getting black if you can. I have a white iPhone and thought I'd try the satin silver which comes with a white silicone bumper. Through normal use it didn't stay white very long!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.