Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Magsafe do you prefer?

• Total voters

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I like the L, looks a lot more elegant with the wire coming off the machine at 180deg, rather tjan sticking out like a mouse ear. Apple should make the L avail in the 2-version connector.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
I also like the L shaped connector. As above put it, it looks more elegant.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I prefer the T-Shape. They aren't as durable since the cord can and does move and a wider angle, but the cord moves at a wider angle.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
the magnet seems weaker on the new T adapter. on my 2010 macbook pro with the L adapter i could just put the wire near the edge and it would snap right into place. not so much with the T adapter.

That said im having less issues with the new T adapter

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
People have complained the MagS2 is too easy to take out but I actually feel completely opposite. I find it too difficult to take out! My old PC notebook was much easier. I have to really struggle to pull it out on my MBA. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? Lol

Kirixis

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
'Straya
I have the 2012 MBA 13" and goddamn I would've liked a right angle in the charger - 99.9% of the time I tuck it behind the computer anyways.

metier

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2012
Texas
I have the old L shaped adapter at work and use the little converter for the new mag 2 adapter. This seems to stay connected a little better then just the new Mag 2 adapter. But then again again at work I'm at a desk so my mac doesn't get moved around as much. I will have to run some test next week when I get into the office.

V4705

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
ms2 just keep disconnecting. the shape make it much more sensitive than the previous one and im pretty sure the magnet is less strong also...

is there any 3rd party alternative, l-shaped with stronger hold to the mac ?

thanks!

attis

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
Come on?!

Who could POSSIBLY prefer the T2 over the L1?

I have found absolutely ZERO advantages over the old one. I get that it's symmetrical, but only in theory. Mine is not very old, and I rarely wind it up on the power brick itself, yet it has become so twisted and stiff that I can only connect it in one way, or the cable twists and bends itself out of position on its own.

It must have something to do with the thinner cable over the last gen. The way it arrived out of the box, in that little plastic cover, it took weeks for it to loose the imprints of that and now it seems tangled up on the inside from it. I haven't forced it at all.

And then we have the actual "Mag"-part of it all. More MagLoose than MagSafe.

It. Drops. Out. Constantly. I've had the 2010 and 2011 13" Airs and now I'm on the 2012 13". The Magsafe joke and the heat issues have both contributed equally to me considering returning it for another 2011. I use my Air both at home and for work. At home its hopeless to try and sit down with it, the slightest pull on the cable in any direction results in a dislodging. Be it that the brick is a bit too far away or trying to support the Air on my knees - anything does it, really. At work, I might tether it to a DSLR while shooting, and I can't put it on my camerabag or any uneven surface as before. It really hinders me in my work. And at the office I have just stopped using it for email next to my Mac Mini because of the friggin cable.

The only time it doesn't come loose properly is when pulled straight out of the side of the computer, when the cable runs in its T-shape down onto the floor. My 2012 went 50cm across the table and almost belly landed because someone stepped on the brick.

For technical reasons (i.e the 15" RMBP), they had to make the MagSafe smaller, but they didn't have to make it incompatible with the old laptops. And going back to the T-shape really makes it perform worse. I think about it and hate it every day, and really hope that Apple makes an L2. The magnets will probably still be too weak, but it has greater chance of staying in when the lever effectively moves in from 4cm out down to 1cm from the computer.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
This thread scared me sooo much! But now I have my MBA and I actually have all 3 adapters to compare in person. I am using the L style at work with the adapter and the new T style at home. I do agree that at a desk the L style is better and if anyone is wondering the adapter works really well with the L style.

The old and new Ts are much better when you are not at a desk though because you can bend them any way you want. I've had no issues thus far with using the new T style while couch surfing etc.

I just wanted to let anyone know who is also scared by this thread that it isn't really a big deal at least in my experience.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Come on?!

Who could POSSIBLY prefer the T2 over the L1?

I have found absolutely ZERO advantages over the old one. I get that it's symmetrical, but only in theory. Mine is not very old, and I rarely wind it up on the power brick itself, yet it has become so twisted and stiff that I can only connect it in one way, or the cable twists and bends itself out of position on its own.

It. Drops. Out. Constantly. I've had the 2010 and 2011 13" Airs and now I'm on the 2012 13". The Magsafe joke and the heat issues have both contributed equally to me considering returning it for another 2011.

Some of that is deliberate. The whole point of MagSafe is to prevent someone from knocking it down by tripping over the cord. I do notice that the 2012 MacBook Air cord does come out easily, though.

This thread scared me sooo much! But now I have my MBA and I actually have all 3 adapters to compare in person. I am using the L style at work with the adapter and the new T style at home. I do agree that at a desk the L style is better and if anyone is wondering the adapter works really well with the L style.

The old and new Ts are much better when you are not at a desk though because you can bend them any way you want. I've had no issues thus far with using the new T style while couch surfing etc.

I just wanted to let anyone know who is also scared by this thread that it isn't really a big deal at least in my experience.

I had a 2012 MacBook Air that I lost, and used my insurance proceeds to replace it with a 13" rMBP. I notice that although it also uses the MagSafe 2, it doesn't come off nearly as easily. Perhaps Apple tweaked the strength of the magnet (or perhaps it's just normal production variation).

kayloh20

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
In terms of preventing the laptop from going down as someone trips over the cable, the T connector is better, in my opinion, because it comes out way easier, whereas the only easy way for the L connector to come out was if someone tripped on the inside of the L.

As for everything else, the L connector is much better for me. I'm almost always running the charging cable behind the computer, so the L makes that easier since it's already angled that way. Also, I sometimes like to stand the computer on its side when I'm laying down. Obviously the T connector pops right out.

I've never had any technical issues with either, though, so in that sense, either one works.

attis

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
Some of that is deliberate. The whole point of MagSafe is to prevent someone from knocking it down by tripping over the cord. I do notice that the 2012 MacBook Air cord does come out easily, though.

Now it comes loose from the slightest nudge, not fram jerk, like it used to and should do.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
It comes loose after sending the laptop it was attached to flying towards the floor. The L-connector fails to do what it's supposed to do: prevent a notebook from falling to the floor. The first and the current mag safe do a proper job at that though. Unfortunately that functionality comes at a cost: you have to hold the connector when moving the notebook else it will drop out very easily. Ask yourself what you'd rather have: a notebook meeting the floor or having to hold the power connector when moving around. The poll here speaks volumes: you either are somebody who likes the connector to disconnect or you want it to stay on because you want to move around the notebook. In other words: either you like the functionality of the Mag Safe or you don't.

rose3fa

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
I like the original T shape MagSafe. My new T falls out way too easily. E.g.:

1. Set the computer on a bed with a thick comforter, it sinks in enough to dislodge connector.

2. I use my old T MagSafe 1 with the adapter for the new style and the weight of the combination is enough to break the magnet free unless I support the cable.

In both cases I have to carefully set it up to charge and I'll still sometimes come back and find the cable disconnected.

The problem is that the new magnet is thinner and so it takes less vertical force to break the connector free.

I think the original T has the best compromise of staying connected in most situations and breaking free when needed. Maybe, statistically, too many people experienced flying computers (MBAs especially) with the stronger connection of both MS 1s and this is the new compromise.

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
The Poll is a little mis-leading cause...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2346

There are three different MagSafe versions

There are three styles of MagSafe connector available: a "T" style connector, "L" style connector, and the new MagSafe 2.

So, I don't know which one to click on... I liked the T shaped one on my old Black MacBook...

Laters...

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
I prefer the old L connector, as the wiring doesn't stick out needlessly and looks so much cleaner.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I could be wrong but I don't think the real purpose of the mag safe is to protect you from pulling your computer to the floor if someone trips over it. That's just good marketing from apple.

To those who had PCs recently you probably remember how hard it is to just physically plug your power cord into the computer. This is often a point of failure on cheap pcs like my poor boyfriends cheap HP where he has to spend like 15 minutes jiggling the cord just right to get the computer to power on (I have a master plan to loan him my old mbp for a few days while his is sent in for repair and then he will finally be converted mwahaha!)

Anyway my point is i don't think apple's goal needs to be making a magsafe that easily disconnects when you trip over a wire. The REAL advantage of magsafe for most consumers was a durable power port that required minimal fuss to plug into. It is the same concept as the magnetic latch we all love. No mechanical part so far less chance of breaking. Still like i said before i have all 3 versions and except for the need to readjust sometimes to get the charging light to turn on i've never had any issues.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Now it comes loose from the slightest nudge, not fram jerk, like it used to and should do.

The issue with the L connectors is that they didn't fall off from a jerk, depending the direction. I think Apple may have tweaked the magnet strength a bit, however, as I have not noticed the inadvertent disconnecting as much on my rMBP as I did on the MBA, each with the MagSafe 2 connectors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.