Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
I know what a retina display is, but is it really worth after a couple of weeks using it? I have an iPad 2 and I am happy with it, the only thing that makes me want to buy the new iPad is the screen.

I heard ppl talking about a new iPad with less weight and thinner profile, and I m really confused about buying an ipad for the retina display or waiting for the next one.

Do you guys used to the retina display think it is worth the upgrade?

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I know what a retina display is, but is it really worth after a couple of weeks using it? I have an iPad 2 and I am happy with it, the only thing that makes me want to buy the new iPad is the screen.

I heard ppl talking about a new iPad with less weight and thinner profile, and I m really confused about buying an ipad for the retina display or waiting for the next one.

Do you guys used to the retina display think it is worth the upgrade?

I've had an iPad 2 since launch day and still notice it's lack of Retina. I would, however, wait until the ipad 5 as it will probably weigh what my iPad 2 weighs and be that thin as well. Until then I'll happily use my iPad 2.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I didn't believe it until I saw it myself. Retina is a must. I wouldn't go back. It's worth buying right now and reselling when the next comes out. You are basically renting it.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I wouldn't used the phrase "get used to it". That would be like saying you "get used to" 20/20 vision. It's just how it should look. The iPad 2 is like standard definition TV.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
You don't know if you want it until you see Retina display in person. Once you go Retina you can't go back. I do hear from some people that can't tell the difference between Retina and non-Retina display, but they are the same people who can't see the resolution difference between HD and SD. They probably have poor visions.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Retina is kinda like flying first class, once you're hooked, it sux flying coach afterward. It'll take tremendous amount of kool aid to go back(aka the iPad mini user base)and say "you don't notice it. Heck my 85year old grandmother notices it!

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
If 0.11 pounds difference in weight is really enough to sway you from getting the iPad 4 in hopes of the iPad 5 (assuming it's coming out anytime in the near future) weighing the same as the iPad 2 -- then you may as well wait for a mini with a retina, because 0.11 pounds won't contribute to a noticeable change in portability.

Retina display is visible for anyone who uses a retina display iPad or iPhone. Pretty difficult to ignore the difference once you're used to it -- but is it an absolute must to have? Only you can decide that.

Good luck with your decision :D

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
I've got to say, the higher resolution display on the newer iPads isn't as mindblowing as moving from SD to HD on your home TV

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
It's a personal preference

Had a 1, then a 2, then a 3. Once I got the Mini, sold the 3 (w Retina) on eBay. Everyone is different. I look at the Mini's screen and think it beautiful as is, and you cannot beat the light weight and portability.

So for me, size and weight trumps a retina display. Go see a 4 in person and decide for yourself.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Seeing how fast they went from 3 to 4...I'd say wait if you're still satisifed with your iPad 2. I had an iPad 2 but upgraded to the three and think the retina is handsdown the best feature upgrade over my 2.

At this point, I'd say wait, the iPad 3 or 4 really don't perform much better than the 2 and I think the 5th gen iPad will have a body shape closer to the iPad mini and possibly more color options, so you may get envy when you get a 4 in January and the 5 gets a release in the late spring/early summer as many believe it may.

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
I was going for the iPad mini, because the iPad is just too big and heavy to play games and type on the go, and my iPad 2 is fine, but once I heard there was no retina display or A6 on the mini, I decided to forget it.

Right now I don't need the "speed" of the newest iPad, my iPad 2 is fast enough, so the real benefit would be the retina display, and there may be an iPad 5 in a few months...

PS: I don't live in the US and the iPad 4 64GB 4G is like 1200 dollars.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Its not just a price point with mini. its also a battery issue.

I wanted to treat ipad mini as my ipod touch. unlike my iphone the mini has just a big enough display to watch content, browse and all that. if i can store my media on it, and if it can get the good battery life it will be a perfect mobile companion.

for me the ideal scenario is this;

iphone = calls, texts, calender, useful productivity apps etc
ipad mini = movies, music, games, books. homework and regular work.

macbook pro = serious work, computer games, serious programs.
connect to a thunderbolt display = large scale work, stationary power.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
I've got to say, the higher resolution display on the newer iPads isn't as mindblowing as moving from SD to HD on your home TV

Maybe not, but it's darn close.
Images pop on retina.
But text and type is where you see the clear advantage.
If 50-75% of what you do on the iPad involves reading- retina all the way.

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
The biggest issue I've found with the retina is the brightness decrease at an angle, specifically when reading text. It gives the screen almost a pearlescent look with one area centered appearing brighter than the rest of the tablet. This is especially irritating at a slight angle, how I usually use my iPad when typing on my laptop and using the ipad propped to read reference material. IMO it cancels out some of the gains from clearer text and I'm surprised it isn't highlighted in more reviews (though, the display mate review notes it).

kallyq

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2010
My iPad 3 did not do what u just described with the brightness decrease at an angle. My 4 does this and it drives me nuts. Makes text less clear and the top almost looks brown if tilted slightly away.

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
My iPad 3 did not do what u just described with the brightness decrease at an angle. My 4 does this and it drives me nuts. Makes text less clear and the top almost looks brown if tilted slightly away.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I have an iPad 3 for reference, but tomorrow I'm going to get it replaced at the apple store for an unrelated screen issue, so I'll let you know if the new one is any different. If some units are unaffected by this issue as you suggest, I'll be ecstatic!

kallyq

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2010
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I have an iPad 3 for reference, but tomorrow I'm going to get it replaced at the apple store for an unrelated screen issue, so I'll let you know if the new one is any different. If some units are unaffected by this issue as you suggest, I'll be ecstatic!

I went and exchanged mine today and this one is MUCH better. I hope you had a similar experience.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
A month or so in and the retina screen is still the best part of my ipad 4 (well that and the battery life!)

My wife lost her iPhone 4S last week and her workplace gave her a temporary 3GS as a loaner. Whoa what a difference! She doesn't normally care all that much, often watches tv on the SD channel rather than changing to HD, etc and even she said 'everything is so blurry!'

Infinite Jest

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Harrisonburg, Va
I went and exchanged mine today and this one is MUCH better. I hope you had a similar experience.

The employee and his manager told me my iPad was "within spec" for Apple's standards with part of the screen yellow and a dead pixel, so they wouldn't replace it. Guess I'm stuck with i until something worse happens. -.-

kallyq

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2010
The employee and his manager told me my iPad was "within spec" for Apple's standards with part of the screen yellow and a dead pixel, so they wouldn't replace it. Guess I'm stuck with i until something worse happens. -.-

Maybe fully return it and buy a new one?

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
You definitely start to notice how unsharp the screen is, when every other device you own has a high-res screen. For example, there is no way I was buying a iPad Mini after owning my rMBP, riPad, iPhone4/5, and my Galaxy S3. The screen is just terrible.

However, I did have an iPad 2 last year and it was pretty good. I guess if you haven't experienced the better screen, you really don't know what you're missing out on, which is much better for your wallet :)

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
You definitely start to notice how unsharp the screen is, when every other device you own has a high-res screen. For example, there is no way I was buying a iPad Mini after owning my rMBP, riPad, iPhone4/5, and my Galaxy S3. The screen is just terrible.

However, I did have an iPad 2 last year and it was pretty good. I guess if you haven't experienced the better screen, you really don't know what you're missing out on, which is much better for your wallet :)

So ignorance is bliss. I can agree with that. It's kind of why I'm afraid to get an iPad with Retina Display. I can't afford an rMBP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.