Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

joypadgameconsole.jpg
Zell Interactive's Joypad Game Controller was originally released in mid-2011. As a standalone app, it turned the iPhone into a wireless virtual controller for several Mac and iPad games.

Unfortunately, finding games that worked with the iPhone app was a pain, requiring gamers to visit the Joypad website for a list or to stumble across a compatible app on the App Store.

That changed this week, with the release of the Joypad Game Console. The Game Console turns the iPad into a dashboard that lists all of the Joypad enabled apps. It's like an iOS version of Xbox Live, containing a list of featured games, a list of games that are already installed on the iPad, and a full list of all games that Joypad supports.

Users can tap on one of the apps listed in the Game Console to get more information on it, including an app description, YouTube trailer, and a link to purchase said app on the App Store.

After purchase, the Console can be linked via Wi-Fi to the Joypad Game Controller, which was recently updated with Game Console compatibility and all new skins. The Game Console app can also be connected to the Apple TV so that gamers can play their favorite titles on the big screen.

The Joypad Game Console is a handy addition to the Joypad Game Controller because it's a one stop shop for games. The only downside to both products is the limited game selection, which features just 17 titles.

Joypad Game Console is a free download from the App Store for the iPad. [Direct Link]

Joypad Game Controller is free for the iPhone. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Joypad's Game Console iPad App Makes It Easy to Find Compatible Games

Jarson

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2011
Glasgow
Well done. Cool app, it's like a mobile version of Steam. I like the navigation through the store using an iPhone.

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I fear Apple may quickly pull this because of their new app promoting policy.

I was thinking the same thing. Haven't they already pulled tons of apps from the store on account of them serving no purpose besides advertising other apps?

Why not just build this feature into the existing controller app?

mcstain

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
I believe this is how gaming will be implemented on the Apple TV one day. Imagine four player multiplayer with everyone using their iPhones as controllers.

Megagator

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
USA
It's is interesting. I don't think it will be pulled for advertising other apps. Technically all those apps use their SDK so part of the app is theirs. Plus there's no price listed. It's more of an app launcher. Still don't know why Touch Arcade app hasn't been pulled. At least part of that app is exactly the same as Appshopper.
Meanwhile, why hasn't Joypad for iPhone been updated for the widescreen?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
This sounded like a goofy idea, but for free I tried it, and it’s fun! You can navigate between games and within games using just the “controller,” and I already owned a number of Joypad games as it turns out. Kind of fun when hooked to projector.

I’d rather use a physical controller, but whatever “special” control gizmo you like (this, iCade, whatever), it’s neat to have an app that brings all the compatible games into one place. Saves me having to keep track of a folder manually or something. I hope iCade gets a similar central app.

It's is interesting. I don't think it will be pulled for advertising other apps. Technically all those apps use their SDK so part of the app is theirs. Plus there's no price listed. It's more of an app launcher. Still don't know why Touch Arcade app hasn't been pulled. At least part of that app is exactly the same as Appshopper.
Meanwhile, why hasn't Joypad for iPhone been updated for the widescreen?

Plus, this app doesn’t exist just to promote other apps—that’s more of a secondary convenience. It’s primarily a launcher—a special kind that you use remotely—so it’s got a real purpose.

exodus

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2004
Great Job

Another awesome indie product here. This guy does great work. I love the joypad. I use it to play minecraft on my TV.
This idea is catching. Having this game console app is a great idea. I think we will see more supported games fairly quickly. Can't wait!

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I loved this idea. It’s basically a casual console and with Apple TV it’s awesome.
I love the chopper game and have been waiting for more games like this.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
Ever since I bought my 3DS XL Mario Kart 7 bundle for $159 last week, I dont play the iPhone/iPad games anymore.

No controller = no bueno.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I wish their descriptions provided more information. Even if they didn't include price, they might give a bit of a meatier description and provide more screenshots.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
I believe this is how gaming will be implemented on the Apple TV one day. Imagine four player multiplayer with everyone using their iPhones as controllers.

Hell no.
iPhone doesn't provide any tactile feedback and left feels just like right.

I'll take a good controller over an iPhone any day. The only advantage would be to be ABLE to use it if you wish to do so, or if the iPhone got some kind of tech that makes it have that feedback and differentiation of buttons.

For an iPad this seems like a sweet idea as it at least solves the problem of covering up the on-screen action with your fingers. :)

Glassed Silver:mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.