Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayhergen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
I accidentally switched the default program when opening all dvdmedia files on my computer. They now show up as folders that do not have the option under get info to pick another program to open with. How do I switch these now folders that are dvdmedia file extensions back to open with the DVD player program?

Thanks

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
This is very easy to do. You need to link the package (file) type with the application, DVD Player.app.

First find one example of the package that you want to open with DVD player. Then right click on the file and choose Get Info.

Fullscreen 17:12:2012 21:28-2.png

Then in the Get Info window look down until you see Open with: and in the drop down make sure DVD Player.app is selected. Then click the Change All... button to make all the same types of files open by default with the application that you specify.

The Jungle Book (1967).dvdmedia Info.png

jayhergen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Hey James

Thanks you for your help James, problem is because these dvdmedia files are now folders, when I right click it does not give me the option to open with.

Is there anyplace in the OS where it will show a list of formats and what it is going to open them as?

Thanks
~J

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Try this it should work:

1. Open TextEdit create a small text file and save it.
2. Right-click on the text file, and choose "Get Info".
3. Under Name & Extension, change the extension to ".dvdmedia". Hit Enter to save this change.
4. Under Open With - Select DVD Player, and save that change.

Now all the .dvdmedia folders should be reassociated with DVD Player.

jjkubik

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2013
Re: James Craner response

Thank you so much, James Craner! That solution is so absurdly simple, and it worked absurdly well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.