Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Wildy
macrumors 6502

An Experiment...

On the offchance that someone has a PPC (or Intel for that matter) Mac lying around with FreeBSD installed, would someone be able to dump the output of these three commands:

Code:
sysctl -a
Note: requires sysinfo to be installed
Code:
sysinfo cpu
Code:
sudo dmidecode
Many thanks in advance.

N.B. The output of dmidecode will probably have your serial number, make sure you blank it before posting! Don't get rid of it entirely though, as one of the things I need to know is whether a serial number is reported.
Wildy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:55 PM   #2
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

You should post what it does first. We don't want to end up with malicious scripts that would delete an entire operating system.

Regards,
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:24 PM   #3
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Don't know about the third code, but the first two are standard commands I've used them with Geektool. They just get system info, depending on what you are looking for (the second part of the command).
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:06 AM   #4
Starfighter
macrumors 6502a

"sudo dmidecode" gives you a list of information as well.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:29 AM   #5
Wildy
macrumors 6502

My apologies. I am looking for a reliable way to identify various bits of info such as the model, the CPU model, serial number etc. etc. in FreeBSD running on Apple hardware. The first command is standard in most Unix-based OSes, it dumps a load of data from kernel which includes various useful bits of information.

The second one reports back CPU info gathered from a variety of sources around the OS. The last dumps the BIOS info and decodes it which gives useful info which can't be found from the OS.

These commands dump out quite a lot of data which is unnecessary, but different OSes and hardware report back different things in sometimes unexpected places. For example, sysctl hw.model gives output PowerBook5,6 on here (under OSX), but on another computer (under FreeBSD) it gives out Intel Core 2 yadda yadda.

FreeBSD isn't something you'd randomly put on your computer, so I made the assumption that anyone running it would have some knowledge of the above commands. If in doubt - check the man pages!

Sorry for not explaining more thoroughly the first time.
Wildy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs