Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Apple Collectors

Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:10 AM   #1
luisreg
macrumors newbie

Creating installation floppy disks for OS 7.0.1 from OSX?

I'm on OSX Lion with a working Floppy USB unit and brand new 3 1/2 disks, trying to install OS 7.0.1 on a Macintosh Classic with a new drive (no current installed OS).

I ran the following command on terminal: dd if=~/OS7/os-6-1.img of=/dev/disk1 bs=84 skip=1

It completes succesfully, but then I encounter the following problems:

1) If I try to re-mount on Disk Utility, it returns an error message saying it cannot be mounted.
2) If I eject it after the terminal command, it says I have to initialize it, because it's not formatted (??)
3) If I start my Macintosh Classic with it, it ejects it and doesn't recognize it as an installation disk.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Luis
luisreg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:16 AM   #2
David Schmidt
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to David Schmidt
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisreg View Post
brand new 3 1/2 disks
What density are your brand new disks?
David Schmidt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:11 PM   #3
luisreg
macrumors newbie

1,44MB, Mac Classic II is 1.44 compatible
luisreg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:39 PM   #4
MacTech68
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisreg View Post
I'm on OSX Lion with a working Floppy USB unit and brand new 3 1/2 disks, trying to install OS 7.0.1 on a Macintosh Classic with a new drive (no current installed OS).

I ran the following command on terminal: dd if=~/OS7/os-6-1.img of=/dev/disk1 bs=84 skip=1

It completes succesfully, but then I encounter the following problems:

1) If I try to re-mount on Disk Utility, it returns an error message saying it cannot be mounted.
2) If I eject it after the terminal command, it says I have to initialize it, because it's not formatted (??)
3) If I start my Macintosh Classic with it, it ejects it and doesn't recognize it as an installation disk.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Luis
OSX Lion won't be able to mount HFS Standard disks out of the box, so 1) and 2) are kind of expected.

If you get MacFuse from Tuxera and THEN install Fuse HFS, you should be able to mount them in OSX.

http://osxfuse.github.com/

http://namedfork.net/fusehfs

There are many reasons why your floppy disk may not boot. Your floppy drive may have dirty heads, or mechanically may not fully engage due to seized lubricant in the drive mechanism.

HOWEVER, what might be a problem here is that your disk images may not be DiskCopy4.2 images (usually a .image file) but rather a NDIF file (usually a .img file).

If the disk images are NDIF, they DON'T need the

bs=84 skip=1

at the end of your dd command.

Drop the file onto TextEdit, and check the first line. If it begins with:

"LK`‹DSystemFinderMacsBugDisassembler"

Then the first 84 bytes have already been stripped and the

bs=84 skip=1

is NOT needed.

Check this thread for more detail:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1499093

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Apple Collectors