Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
UK
.... and it was all going so well.

Had my new iMac 4 days and now it's dead.
I got the mac side of things set up perfect, so I went on to install bootcamp and windows. When it came to the partition side of it, the iMac locked up, so I left in and hour or so, it was still locked up. So I held the power button down and rebooted. When I check my drive space, I had lost 200 gb but had no windows partition. So I did a few disk repairs using disk utility, but this told me it couldn't
fix the problem.
So I rebooted and cmd+r and disk repair again, still no joy. So then I give in to reinstall mountin lion, erased hard drive, and thought I'd do disk repair again, still no joy. So I tried resetting the PRAM (cmd, option, p r)
Now I can't do a thing.... The apple logo turns into a no entry logo and I'm screwed....
H E L P

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
.... and it was all going so well.

Had my new iMac 4 days and now it's dead.
I got the mac side of things set up perfect, so I went on to install bootcamp and windows. When it came to the partition side of it, the iMac locked up, so I left in and hour or so, it was still locked up. So I held the power button down and rebooted. When I check my drive space, I had lost 200 gb but had no windows partition. So I did a few disk repairs using disk utility, but this told me it couldn't
fix the problem.
So I rebooted and cmd+r and disk repair again, still no joy. So then I give in to reinstall mountin lion, erased hard drive, and thought I'd do disk repair again, still no joy. So I tried resetting the PRAM (cmd, option, p r)
Now I can't do a thing.... The apple logo turns into a no entry logo and I'm screwed....
H E L P
No entry logo? Start it up while holding CMD + Opt + R. This should start internet recovery. Before you reinstall OS X go to Disk Utility and Erase all Partitions and just Partition OS X with a Single Partition. You can Bootcamp later after you get everything up and running.

If You can't get into recovery mode I suggest you either go to the Apple Store or Call and ask them to fix it or replace it.

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
UK
Nooooo please see my post below with photos!

Last edited:

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Oh, I think Internet recovery maybe working... I just hope I get my full HDD space back.. Watch this space. Thanks for the reply

I don't see why not. Just make sure when you partition your HDD for OS X theres only 1 Partition showing. Maybe there was a glitch when Bootcamp was partitioning. Just try it again after you get OS X up and running.

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
UK
Thanks again, i owe you a drink, really thought I'd bricked it and was kicking myself. Fingers crossed.

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
let me know how the internet recovery goes ?

We tried it , and it said it was going to take 15 hours to download ml lol

crazy we ended up pulling drive out and cloning it again from the original .
to avoid the wait.

but i am interested to know how your recovery went

cheers

Tim

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
UK
qagarysu.jpg
Well i can install ML again thanks to Internet recovery. But I can't seem to get my full HDD back. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356043297.118258.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356043380.472978.jpg I am unable to make and partitions in disc utility and when I repair it just repeats, "click repair"

Last edited:

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
This looks like a Fusion drive... or what's left of it after something happened to it.

The hint is that Disk Utility shows it as a Logical Volume.

thegoldglover

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2008
Did anyone bother to read that the new 27" iMac with Fusion drive is not currently compatible with Bootcamp?

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Did anyone bother to read that the new 27" iMac with Fusion drive is not currently compatible with Bootcamp?

Yes it is, as the fact that I'm typing this in Windows on my new 27" iMac proves. Boot Camp's not compatible with the 3TB drive, that's all.

OP: Exactly the same thing happened to me. After a lot of digging around, I finally managed to get my disk back together by booting into Recovery (Cmd+R), launching the Terminal and doing this:

http://www.drake.org.uk/2012/07/os-...tall-gotcha-corestorage-encrypted-disk-issue/

This puts your Fusion Drive back together. The only issue I have with my machine now, is that the Recovery HD doesn't show up in the Startup Manager (Alt key when booting), but since Recovery Mode still works (Cmd+R), I can certainly live with that!

Hope that helps. When you're back in business with Boot Camp installed (worked perfectly for me the second time round), would you mind checking a few things for me, please?

1. If you run Verify in Disk Utility on your whole HD (the top most Macintosh HD entry in the left-hand column), does it make your BOOTCAMP partition turn red in the left-hand column?

2. In Windows, can you see your OS X partition? I could on my last iMac, but I can't on this one. Hoping it's a Fusion Drive thing and not just me.

Thanks!

SB

Last edited:

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
RE-Partition the HDD as 1 partition ( this will effectively erase everything on the HDD) then run the OSX installer. If that does not work go into terminal and delete the logical volume group and logical volume itself, then go back to disk utility and it should refuse the drives automatically.

kreizboi

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
Yes it is, as the fact that I'm typing this in Windows on my new 27" iMac proves. Boot Camp's not compatible with the 3TB drive, that's all.

OP: Exactly the same thing happened to me. After a lot of digging around, I finally managed to get my disk back together by booting into Recovery (Cmd+R), launching the Terminal and doing this:

http://www.drake.org.uk/2012/07/os-...tall-gotcha-corestorage-encrypted-disk-issue/

This puts your Fusion Drive back together. The only issue I have with my machine now, is that the Recovery HD doesn't show up in the Startup Manager (Alt key when booting), but since Recovery Mode still works (Cmd+R), I can certainly live with that!

Hope that helps. When you're back in business with Boot Camp installed (worked perfectly for me the second time round), would you mind checking a few things for me, please?

1. If you run Verify in Disk Utility on your whole HD (the top most Macintosh HD entry in the left-hand column), does it make your BOOTCAMP partition turn red in the left-hand column?

2. In Windows, can you see your OS X partition? I could on my last iMac, but I can't on this one. Hoping it's a Fusion Drive thing and not just me.

Thanks!

SB

Did you install windows on Bootcamp the normal way? Because after I created my fusion drive on my iMac, I could finish the Windows 7 install. I went through the installation process and after the 2nd (maybe third) time it rebooted it stalled at the "hit any key to boot from CD or DVD...". I deleted removed Bootcamp and tried it again, but it did the same thing.

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
UK

Thanks!

SB

Hi, that link did not work for me.

ML failed to install. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356066666.410979.jpg
Please please help, I'm ready to cry!!

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Is this still under warranty? If so Apple will have to repair or replace either the machine or the Hard Drive.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
ok at the bottom you will see a line that says logical volume and a large number ending in 2c09

copy the large number then type in "diskutil cs delete volume largenumberhere" and put a space and paste in the number you copied earlier in place of "largenumberhere"

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
It's 4 days old!! Is it unfixable?

Who cares if not apple will fix it. Stop wasting time and your sanity and just go to apple and say its broke and let them deal with the headache. Probably something is wrong with the hard drive in which case apple will need to fix it since these things are no longer user friendly replaceable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.